The 2017 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Sorry I don't know much about those things.

Winchester I hope your knee gets better=probably because of the snow we are going to get.

gym last night

elliptical 40 minutes I forgot how many miles!!

bike for 30 minutes. 6.85 miles.

gonna go tonight since tomorrow is snow and I don't like to be out in the snow=I prefer to be HOME.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Great that you are enjoying using the elliptical @Lily Paddy  I've no idea what adjusting the stride would do. I wonder if @Tammat  ever used one? @JTbo  seemed to know a lot about gadgets too.

90 minutes yoga and a 90 minute walk yesterday.

1 hour walk this morning, before the rain started, then 90 minutes yoga.

lily paddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

@Lily Paddy  , here's an interesting article on adjusting elliptical stride length and why it's important. Overall, it's comfort. You need to keep the stride comfortable for you. I hope it helps you:  http://www.toptenreviews.com/health/articles/elliptical-machines-why-stride-length-is-important/

Keep going, ladies!
Yes, thank you so much Winchester, I am loving my machine.. i seem to do my best when i dont wanna do it and force myself.. hahah i find myself doing 3 miles or more. I try to do at least 2-30 minute sessions daily.. sometimes i have to break it up to a 30 and 2- 15 min.. I hurt my tailbone and i am forcing myself to move. 

How is your knee? 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Today I finished my 30 days of core de force. That was rough but I enjoyed it.
Wow, good for you!

I started this morning with 30 minutes snow shoveling. Yes! Snow! In the middle of March.

90 minutes yoga after that. The sun`s come out now so I'm considering going for a walk.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, thank you so much Winchester, I am loving my machine.. i seem to do my best when i dont wanna do it and force myself.. hahah i find myself doing 3 miles or more. I try to do at least 2-30 minute sessions daily.. sometimes i have to break it up to a 30 and 2- 15 min.. I hurt my tailbone and i am forcing myself to move. 

How is your knee? 
Thanks for asking, Lily Paddy. It's not good and I'm trying both IcyHot and Traumeel gels, massaging one in in the morning and the other one at night. It doesn't really hurt when I'm actually walking around, but it's painful in bed at night.

I may try the elliptical out for a while and see how that goes on my knee, although my knees tend to hurt more when I'm using the elliptical. But I have to do something.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Winchester  I would not do the elliptical if you are in that much pain. Do you have a bike? I wonder if that would just help stretch your legs out-set it at the easiest setting and go SLOW. just to keep your range of motion. You can do the same on the elliptical if you set it at level 1. It's good to keep range of motion but I am worried about your level of pain. Did you twist it? It sounds horrible. Hoping you get some relief.

2 hours shoveling snow yesterday in the middle of the cyclone. I didn't get any photos because the wind was so strong and I didn't want to drop my phone in the snow. I had a 3-4 foot snowbank at the end of the driveway. The guy plowing our park must have felt bad for pushing all the snow into my driveway as he came back and asked me if he can push it into my yard. I was like YAH! DUH! so what would have been another hour was only 20 minutes just clearing out enough so I can get out this morning. This morning another 18" in the way. I just walked on top of it kicking at it to break up the clumps. I used my 4X4 for a change and just plowed backwards against it. It got out but I wasn't sure if I was going to get stuck...fun times!

I went out to the deck with the intention of going up on the roof but the snow was 14 inches deep on the deck so I decided to work on that instead. Went out around 3:30pm. Shoveled that-then the oil/gas tanks then a path to the front of the building then attacked snow at driveway edge. then the front steps. The rest I left for Jon to snowblow today. I didn't use the snowblower due to the wind-I just figured it would be easier on him if I was gone then he don't have to move my vehicle. Besides he is fussy about the way it gets done..and he got on the roof at 5:30 which was when I ran out of gas. I couldn't do anymore.

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm doing a round of 21 day fix starting today. I need to give my body a bit of a break and these workouts are definitely easier than core de force.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@foxxycat  Oh no! You too? We've had a lot of snow this week too. It doesn't sound as bad as your place though. Wow, 14 inches!? That's crazy.

@catlover19  What kind of exercises are you doing? Are you using weights or some other kind of gym equipment?

@Winchester  Hope your leg is better soon.

I did two hours of yoga today. I've been working on inversions and arm balances. Headstands are easy enough, tripod or regular headstands. I can do a handstand but I have to be against a wall as I can only balance for about 2 inhalations. 

Still a long way off Vrischikasana though. They say it takes 2 to 5 years of practice. It seems to require muscles I haven't got yet.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Norachan I'm doing home workouts, right now the 21 day fix program using mostly an 8-10 lb resistance band. I was doing a different program that I finished, it was learning mixed martial arts.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@Norachan I'm doing home workouts, right now the 21 day fix program using mostly an 8-10 lb resistance band. I was doing a different program that I finished, it was learning mixed martial arts.
That sounds tough! I did a year of Tai Chi, but it wasn't for me. I think you've got to be really disciplined for martial arts.

2 hours of yoga yesterday. I did my regular warm-up, Vinyassa flow and then worked on inversions.

Today I did another 2 hours of yoga, focusing on arm balances.

How's your leg @Winchester  ?

@foxxycat  did you survive the blizzard?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Norachan  yep we survived but I have been ill with the crud AGAIN. So I have only done light jogging at lunch for 15 minutes a day to just keep my heart in shape. Otherwise I am too stuffed up to workout plus I don't want to go to the gym and cough. So hopefully tomorrow night I can start AGAIN. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. 

@Winchester  how is your knee?? I hope you are doing ok...and yeah I am sick of old man winter myself..I have been looking at summer rentals and lake views and ocean views to remind myself that the snow does go away eventually.      

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, ladies. Am calling the doctor for an appt this morning. It really feels like a meniscus tear, but I don't know. I have to call my regular doctor, he'll look at it and then refer me to an ortho. So a month to wait for an appt for my doctor, then another month to wait for the ortho appt. I'm probably looking at an MRI, too. But it hurts. And it really hurts at night when I'm in bed and trying to get comfortable. And I can't take anything for pain, which really sucks little green worms.

Keep going! I will be back!

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry to hear you're both suffering. Don't worry @foxxycat  Spring is almost here. @Winchester  does it really take so long to get a doctor's appointment? That's terrible!

I did 90 minutes of yoga today. I did quite an easy routine as I'm feeling it after all those inversions and arm balances.

@catlover19  How is this month's program going?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Sorry to hear you're both suffering. Don't worry @foxxycat  Spring is almost here. @Winchester  does it really take so long to get a doctor's appointment? That's terrible!

I did 90 minutes of yoga today. I did quite an easy routine as I'm feeling it after all those inversions and arm balances.

@catlover19  How is this month's program going?
Thanks, @Norachan. I was lucky. Right before I called for my appt, somebody else had called to cancel theirs, so I got that one. Wed morning at 10:45. Thank goodness! The ortho-weenie usually takes a good month or so, but at least I'm seeing somebody soon. Keep going with your yoga!

@foxxycat, hope you can kick that crud once and for all. And soon. 

Keep up the good work, Mrs. B.

I'm thinking of trying the elliptical tonight. The problem is that the elliptical tends to bother my knees more so than the treadmill. Strange, I know, but true.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Doctor appt this morning for my knee. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but we'll see. 

Keep going, everybody!
 I'm still lurking here and reading what you're doing! 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It's the meniscus, but he doesn't think it's torn, just really inflamed and aggravated. Prednisone for the swelling, Tramadol for when the pain gets really bad (it is not that bad and I won't get the script filled if I don't have to). Icing three times a day, knee brace for two weeks. No walking for exercise, no treadmill, no elliptical for at least the next two weeks. I can do normal walking (groceries, some housework, etc), just not anything for exercise at all. 

X-rays tomorrow morning, just to make sure the meniscus isn't torn or that there's no arthritis in the area. I'll go in first thing in the morning and get the x-rays done.

If it's torn, I don't know what I'll do. It took months the last time for me to get back up to speed and miles after knee surgery. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww I am so sorry. But you need to REST it. Do you take any supplements like we give our pets? you should have asked about Dasquin for humans. I am so sorry and hope you fill the script. At least take it at night. You can't heal if the inflammation is not controlled. Trust me. Bone pain is the WORSE. just please try it a few nights. You may be surprised how much better you sleep. If you don't get enough sleep you know It just makes life messier.

But I see that they are putting you on pred-maybe that will be enough but I would still take both meds for at least just once a night together.

I am doing my lunchtime jog. Gentle though. Got the AC on so I don't sweat but it's not really working lol. 25 minutes jog/walk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.