Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something else I considered that was recommended by the vet I took her to... is declawing. Which I’m totally against. I’d never declaw a cat, however.... I’m wondering if this could be a near last resort option. I told her that in my research it says it could make aggression worse, and she said in her practice she’s never seen behavior worsen. I don’t know how accurate that is. I don’t think I would do that. But if it came down to her life... and the only risk after is biting, which she doesn’t do much of... I don’t know.
Well if she doesn't bite now, then how do you think she'll attack when her claws are gone. The claws are not the source of the aggression.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well if she doesn't bite now, then how do you think she'll attack when her claws are gone. The claws are not the source of the aggression.
The source of aggression is just her mental issues. If I took away her weapons, rather than euthanize her, I’d think that would be a small solution. Like I said though I doubt I’d do either of those things, but I’m at the end of my rope

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah. She said that it’s not reliable in how it works because it’s harder to absorb in the skin, along with a couple other things I can’t remember. She said it’s really expensive and the payoff wouldn’t be worth the expense

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would rather declaw than euthanize. I have never declawed a cat in my life and am usually adamant about NOT declawing, but I have never read of a case of cat aggression this severe.

I am also wondering if there is some sort of powdered medication compounding. Clearly, the liquids and transdermals didn't work and she won't eat pill pockets...

That is good you are in a house, rather than an apartment, even if it is small. There must be some kind of barrier/gate/fence/condo that might help. I think the key is something she can see through. She seems to go bonkers when she is on the other side of closed door. Maybe some kind of really tall gate that can separate the rooms, yet still high enough that she can't jump it. I'm just thinking out loud, you probably have already looked at this stuff.....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah. She said that it’s not reliable in how it works because it’s harder to absorb in the skin, along with a couple other things I can’t remember. She said it’s really expensive and the payoff wouldn’t be worth the expense
How about this then? Veterinary formulations: Reconcile® (Lilly) – chewable flavored tablet, which is also the same drug as Prozac (Fluoxetine). I would imagine the tablet could be hidden in cheese, or crushed to be added to food, or some liquid she likes. Both Prozac and Reconcile can be given in liquid form, which I know you said you tried. But, when I have to give Feeby liquid meds, I add them to a bit of water from canned tuna or chicken, and she will lap it up every time. I also give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dealt with one who had fits when I didn't let him fight. I found throwing a duvet over him and putting the duvet and the cat in a closet for about 15 minutes let him calm down. I never picked him up when he was in that
space, neither did the vet. However, he was just annoyed, I think your
CC has neurological issues. I looked on the Net for anything dealing with rage syndrome, which is what this sounds like, but no one said anything about cats getting. But her symptoms do sound like those
described for dogs. Medication is the only way to prevent the attacks, as
near as I can tell.

Whether or not you work out a way to give her the medications, if you keep her or even if you just want more time to consider what to do. I strongly suggest that you buy a pair of safety glasses. Women's sizes on Amazon $10 -12. They will protect your eyes, they cover the side and I know from experience a cat can get under normal glasses from the side. Or you might consider safety goggles. Don't say you won't have them to hand when you need them, get a glasses case that
attaches to your belt, or put the ear piece through your belt. If Cc
gets your eye, you will have more trouble than ever. ER's and eye
treatments run thousands of dollars. And it is hard to drive using only one eye when you aren't used to it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=saftey+g...e,aps,161&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_5_12&tag=thecatsite

1590342355678.png

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you declaw her to save her life, she will bite and cats can bite like
a lightening strike. This means when you declaw her you will need to have her de-fanged. I knew a very nice vet who did this for a lady who became afraid of her cats. He wasn't happy about it, but did it to save the cat's life. He was the one who told me de-clawed cats bite to make up for it. Some do, some don't.

One of mine was de-fanged, he was run over before I got him. He could still bite, but the tiny front teeth don't break the skin, they just bruise.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think meds + a barrier are key here. There has GOT to be a way to get meds into her.

I am also thinking maybe phenobarbital? I am not a vet, however. I had a kitty on pheno for awhile due to hyperesthesia and it worked immensely well. Too well - made her zombie kitty, so I took her off it. Granted, I realize that is not the same thing you are dealing with, but it can have a calming, sedating effect.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am thinking something like this: too high for her to jump, and slats too narrow to get through, yet she could still see into the room where you are, yet not feel like she is outside of the room?
That’s a great idea, and I think a few people suggested a lot of similar scenarios a while back (like a screen door) but my landlord won’t allow me to put anything like this up. Even if it doesn’t have to be installed or anything, I was met with resistance at the idea. I did buy two baby gates anyway, just to use while I monitored them a while back, but I couldn’t get them to stay to the doorframe because it’s not wood or anything, it’s like a really weak cardboard material almost. I feel like it’d be really easy to mess up :( I’ll keeo brainstorming stuff like this though

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to being mutilation that frequently causes lifelong physical and emotional health problems and litterbox avoidance, declawing takes away defenses and the cat will use teeth instead. CC is not "mean". She is terrified for some reason, and anyone who's terrified will try to defend him/herself -- it's instinctual. Anyone's teeth will be more bacteria-laden than their nails (claws) so for all of the reasons, declawing would not solve the problem.
Have you tried contacting a cat behaviorist ("Cat Daddy" Jackson Galaxy is an excellent one; Pam Johnson-Bennett is another great one. They both have social media presence and have books out. Jackson has lots of videos on YouTube.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about this then? Veterinary formulations: Reconcile® (Lilly) – chewable flavored tablet, which is also the same drug as Prozac (Fluoxetine). I would imagine the tablet could be hidden in cheese, or crushed to be added to food, or some liquid she likes. Both Prozac and Reconcile can be given in liquid form, which I know you said you tried. But, when I have to give Feeby liquid meds, I add them to a bit of water from canned tuna or chicken, and she will lap it up every time. I also give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward.
The problem is she’s the pickiest cat I’ve truly ever seen, it’s really crazy. I know she wouldn’t eat the tablet by itself, she won’t eat tuna/chicken/canned food. Or even cooked chicken, she won’t eat. I even tried to crush up the Prozac in really really tiny pieces to put in Temptations which she loves, but what she’d do it chew up the treat really well and once she tasted the medicine she’d let it fall out of her mouth, and then eat everything besides the tiny piece. Then I tried to put tiny pieces, I mean almost too tiny, in balls of cheese. She’d eat around it. I tried chicken broth, she wouldn’t drink it without the meds or with the meds. I have no clue why she’s so reluctant to eat things besides dry cat food or non medicated temptations

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s a great idea, and I think a few people suggested a lot of similar scenarios a while back (like a screen door) but my landlord won’t allow me to put anything like this up. Even if it doesn’t have to be installed or anything, I was met with resistance at the idea. I did buy two baby gates anyway, just to use while I monitored them a while back, but I couldn’t get them to stay to the doorframe because it’s not woof or anything, it’s like a really weak cardboard material almost. I feel like it’d be really easy to mess up :( I’ll keeo brainstorming stuff like this though
There are also modular (unattached to the house) cat enclosures widely available. Here are links to quite a few: Outdoor Enclosures for Cats | PAWS or if you or someone you know is handy, they are buildable for reasonable prices. My ex and I built one for neighborhood cats recuperating after spay/neuter and/or injuries. It was single-story for us, about 5x5, multi-level for them, with doors to the outside from which we could access their litterbox and food/water dishes. It had multilevel sleeping cubbies. Modular enclosures eliminate the need for landlord approval, can be taken with you when you move, can be modified, and eliminate your need to directly contact the cat if this is necessary.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think meds + a barrier are key here. There has GOT to be a way to get meds into her.

I am also thinking maybe phenobarbital? I am not a vet, however. I had a kitty on pheno for awhile due to hyperesthesia and it worked immensely well. Too well - made her zombie kitty, so I took her off it. Granted, I realize that is not the same thing you are dealing with, but it can have a calming, sedating effect.
Honestly, I’d love to keep her in a semi sedated state. But there’s really no way to give her medication. I feel like I would still request the transdermal version, but I don’t know how expensive it is, I think I’d have to take her in for another vet visit which is a problem in itself, and I don’t think she’d let me rub cream on her ear either. I could always hold her down and do it or try and sneak somehow but I don’t have much faith in those methods

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About the door barrier - I don't think I posted this earlier, but even if I did...

You could make a easy-to-move DIY gate out of shelving from a home improvement store. The shelving, which can be purchased in lengths up to 12 feet - or even higher, is set on its side and hooked together with zip ties to create a makeshift folding door - see example below. It can be easily hooked on both edges of the door with command strips (easily removed when applicable) and a bungee cord across the gate to secure it in place, and all it takes to move it is to unhook one side and fold it open for access. You could place more than one set of command strips and bungee cords if needed.

Attachments

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I’d love to keep her in a semi sedated state. But there’s really no way to give her medication. I feel like I would still request the transdermal version, but I don’t know how expensive it is, I think I’d have to take her in for another vet visit which is a problem in itself, and I don’t think she’d let me rub cream on her ear either. I could always hold her down and do it or try and sneak somehow but I don’t have much faith in those methods
Jackson Galaxy has advised to keep temperamental cats on meds (and believe me, some of his case studies profiled in his Animal Planet TV show, "MY CAT FROM HELL" look a lot like CC sounds, behaviorally!) and they have made the difference.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some very good barrier ideas on this thread...

Wow, she is a picky eater, that is for sure! Have you tried sprinkling a little of this?

Nutramax Cosequin Capsules Joint Health Cat Supplement, 80 count - Chewy.com

It is non-prescription and chicken flavored. It is a white powder (you just break open the capsule). It might conceal the taste of the meds. My boy is finicky and he likes this over his food.