Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

Gremlin's Guesthouse

Rescue Sanctuary
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sad for you and your kitties. I know you will do what you need to do and make the decisions that are right for you. One thought occurs to me is how Cc feels living inside her mind like this, and how she can't escape it or change it. And if another situation is best for her, where she isn't getting enraged. I don't think it's giving up, rather helping her have something she can cope with. I don't remember if there are other places where you are that she could go, but whatever happens I'm thinking of you all and hoping for something good :hugs::heartshape::touched:
Very sweet, Pearl99. I, too, shall pray for a good outcome for everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there any rescue groups or fosters in your area? I was struggling to rescue a large number of cats in my area and there were times when a little moral support was needed. I found a person who was doing rescues too. She took in feral kittens and we ended up being support for each other as well as learning from each other. She cried on my shoulder and I cried on hers. I would really like to see you with someone near who could give you that as well. I can’t tell you how much it helped just to know someone else shared some of the same issues and as we went through the past couple of years we were able to pass information back and forth. She doesn’t live in my town but near enough that some of the connections we both have benefitted the other. Everything from good vets to medical advancements to solving behavioral issues or adoption resources. We have become cat family to each other. We have only met in person a couple of times but we have a great deal in common. It helps knowing that someone is near. Maybe we could help you find a group listed near you if you have any interest in making contact.
There’s really only one rescue group in the nearest biggest town close to me, who I actually got in contact with last summer because I found a kitten, and they took her. But I messaged them again a while back, asking if there was anything I can do or if they had any resources just to see what my options might be, and they read the message but never responded. Unfortunately, there’s not many options for cats where I live :(

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most rescue groups are very busy. Especially during kitten season. I had to make contact many times before I got any response too. Maybe you can try again or even contact groups further away. Just having another person to relate to. It’s tough doing everything without another human around. A feral rescuer or even shelters might have someone who has experienced similar problems who could share information that could be helpful to you. If things are opened up around there maybe you could physically go to visit and meet some people who are working with other cats. A one on one conversation might be enjoyable. I actually went to the doctor the other day and ENJOYED it just because I got out and talked to people for the first time since Covid! There is a lady there that is a rescuer and even though we never worked together, I enjoy talking to her. Funny but I had been going there for many years before I knew she worked with cats. It only came up because I went in with a bad cat scratch. You never know who you might run into that may be working with kitties. I have a TCS shirt that I like a lot and every time I wear it out, someone asks me about the website. I have met a lot of people who are looking for resources that way. We always have a nice conversation.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning, Catluvs. How did it go during the night? How is your hand?
It’s been a roller coaster. After the second incident, we were in my room for a long while (this was at about 2am) and Cc was meowing and digging at the carpet, so I decided to go out and see what happens. She seemed okay, I talked to her, she responded to my pet, so I picked her up like I always do and she licked my nose like she always does. So I said okay, we’ll try to open everything back up for a while. It went alright, she was flighty but Tuck was asleep on the bed, and no one reacted. She got on the bed and slept for about 45 minutes, they all slept, besides me of course.

Then I got up for a bit and she moved to the living room on her own terms so I decided to shut the door back and go to bed. I talked to her through it, I always make sure my actions are extremely normal and calm. After about 15 minutes she started digging up the carpet again, so I put some of the medicine she hates the smell of on a plate I keep in my bathroom (yes, I’m always this prepared) and put it under the door to try to deter her. Didn’t work, she kept scratching and digging up the carpet until about an hour ago when I finally thought that since the last time went okay, I could open my door. Everything was alright at first. They were all walking around. Then Tuck used his scratching post on the cat tree in the living room like he always does, and Cc ran from my room, attacked and chased him all through the house (slightly less bad than the last attack). I managed to distract her by saying treats, I gave her one and she seemed okay. I kept talking to her, picked her up and started walking towards the spare bedroom (this isn’t an abnormal occurrence, I always try to walk with her and I give her the most attention out of them all, to try and help) and she was fine for some steps, then all the sudden attacked my face. I had to quickly toss her into the room and shut the door while she yowled and howled and tried to attack me from under it. It’s not a big cut but it was bleeding pretty good. I put Tuck and Lo back in my room, set up the other spare bedroom with a bed, food water and litter box, night light, her favorite toys, and I opened the shades on one of the windows so she can get on the end table and look out (maybe a bad idea... if something walks by) but that is where she has to stay, because I don’t know why else to do. Now I hear her savagely digging the carpet. I’m seriously, seriously having the conversation in my mind if I can continue with this. Last time a fight was this bad (even though the rest of them are just a slight step below) it took two months for her to not attack Tuck randomly, or attack them coming out of the litter box or attack them when they threw up. I can tell this is going to be another scenario where she’s going to start weird random attacks again (apart from the serious ones she already does due to triggers).

Sorry that was long. I haven’t slept at all, and I feel really sick to my stomach about it. My hand hurts a bit, but I think my foot hurts more.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
If Cc attacked your face, she'll I'm sure do it again- and you could have serious/permanent eye damage. I would keep her permanently away from the other cats, always, if you are going to keep her.
As Jcatbird Jcatbird says contact the rescue group again, and again.
I'm wondering also, if the best place for her is over the rainbow bridge if there's no where else for her to go and if she can't be kept separated permanently. Gutwrenching, and I'm not there, but you've tried everything. Attacking your face is frightening.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would keep calling the rescue.
And you might want to look into cat fencing. There are kits one can buy. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's attachable to many existing fences and is angled in so that cats are unable to climb out of the yard.
You might want to try contacting Alley Cat Allies (alleycat.org) Feral Friends Network® Connect Even though CC is not feral, they may be able to put you in touch with someone caring and knowledgeable who can help. It's worth a try.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would keep calling the rescue.
And you might want to look into cat fencing. There are kits one can buy. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's attachable to many existing fences and is angled in so that cats are unable to climb out of the yard.
You might want to try contacting Alley Cat Allies (alleycat.org) Feral Friends Network® Connect Even though CC is not feral, they may be able to put you in touch with someone caring and knowledgeable who can help. It's worth a try.
I’ve been googling fences this morning, but the problem is I have to wait until I buy my place. I feel like this would be a great option, a whole backyard to herself and a screened in porch. I just really hope I can figure out how to make it by then.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is my two cents worth: I think if you put her down, you might regret it. Not because it was wrong (it is not), but I just think it would really be tough - tougher than perhaps what you are already dealing with. You are by yourself, and to have to grieve for your kitty might be too much. Secondly, I wouldn't bother with contacting rescue groups. Not with her aggression. Again, many will disagree with me, but that is how I feel. I did not know you might possibly be getting your own place. That is a game-changer. You could set up catio, or any number of separation tactics that might work. I really would not pick her up unless absolutely necessary. She could have taken out your eye. Tell me, what meds has she been on besides prozac and gabapentin? My boy is on 200 mg gaba daily, up from 100. It took some trial and error to get him to the right dosage. It sounds like things were semi-peaceful until Tuck went to use his scratcher and she went after him? This is such a hard situation....:nervous: We are here for you! I think the fencing is a great idea!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just really hope I can figure out how to make it by then.
I really would not pick her up unless absolutely necessary.
Keep her in her own room until then, and simply stay away from her.

You are in much too much close contact with her, it's flat-out not working, and your and her stress levels are consequently through the roof.

Not that you aren't, but make sure you clean those injuries of yours, (watch for any oozing, redness and/or swelling) and keep an eye on the feline eye injury.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Furballsmom. I know it is hard - she is your baby, and you want to pick her up, of course. But you are going to get seriously injured, and your kitties need you.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is not a feral cat, correct? You've had her since she was a kitten?

If she was feral things might be different, but she's not. She's sick. It sounds like she has a poor quality of life - not due to you, due to her mental state - and she's really harming your quality life and that of your other cats.

Unless someone has had a cat like this, they don't understand. To be frank, I have never had a cat like this. But I have had a similar experience in the dog world as my dog has anxiety and is very reactive, and unless people have been there they assume that "it's all in how you raise them" and so on. It's genetic, it's a mental illness. Thankfully medication has helped my boy.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

I would also recommend putting her down. Unless they were able to find a cocktail of medication that works and get her to take it reliably, she will constantly be in this bad headspace and that's not fair to her. Obviously it's not fair to you and your other cats as well, but it's really unfair to her.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is my two cents worth: I think if you put her down, you might regret it. Not because it was wrong (it is not), but I just think it would really be tough - tougher than perhaps what you are already dealing with. You are by yourself, and to have to grieve for your kitty might be too much. Secondly, I wouldn't bother with contacting rescue groups. Not with her aggression. Again, many will disagree with me, but that is how I feel. I did not know you might possibly be getting your own place. That is a game-changer. You could set up catio, or any number of separation tactics that might work. I really would not pick her up unless absolutely necessary. She could have taken out your eye. Tell me, what meds has she been on besides prozac and gabapentin? My boy is on 200 mg gaba daily, up from 100. It took some trial and error to get him to the right dosage. It sounds like things were semi-peaceful until Tuck went to use his scratcher and she went after him? This is such a hard situation....:nervous: We are here for you! I think the fencing is a great idea!
the
The problem is I have no idea when that will be :( maybe next summer, next fall, definitely not earlier than next spring and that’s if I scramble for a place just so I can take care of this mess. I can’t get her to take any medicine, but she was prescribed both Prozac and gaba. I tried pill form, liquid form, pill pockets, homemade pockets, cheese which is the only human food she’ll eat, the works. It was near impossible to syringe her the day or two I did it and I was afraid that was going to set her off to no return. Yeah. Back in January, she was doing that to him when he was using the litter box too, and when he’d have a hairball and throw up, she’d attack him for that. It took so long for her to stop doing that, and there would be way more big brawls like this if I didn’t work 24/7 as referee to stop a big fight from happening. When something happens, I separate them before it escalates. Yesterday, literally nothing happened out of there ordinary (Tuck plays with his tunnel all the time) so I had no way of catching it. It’s so heartbreakingly hard.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep her in her own room until then, and simply stay away from her.

You are in much too much close contact with her, it's flat-out not working, and your and her stress levels are consequently through the roof.

Not that you aren't, but make sure you clean those injuries of yours, (watch for any oozing, redness and/or swelling) and keep an eye on the feline eye injury.
It was risky picking her up right after she tried to attack, but I only did it so that she wouldn’t continue attacking because if she did it would have been worse :( I gave her a treat and communicated with her under the door not long ago and while she rubbed my hand and licked her pupils are really dialated. I’m afraid keeping her in a small space is making it worse.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is your current living situation? Apartment? House? Small yard? How many rooms?

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need big pieces of cardboard to put inbetween you and the two of them.
I’ve tried that, I had a thin cardboard box. It’s like she took that as an even bigger threat and it made her attack me after she just went around it to attack Tuck. I bled all over it so I just threw it away, it was when I was trying to get a piece of tape out of Tucks mouth and for some reason that triggered her. That’s the worst part. Not just the aggression but the intensity of it when it happens. If she was just really aggressive but on the defense it’d probably be a little easier. But she goes absolutely wild and insane, and is so fast. That’s the terrifying part

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is your current living situation? Apartment? House? Small yard? How many rooms?
I rent a really small house, 1 normal sized bedroom/attached bathroom and two really tiny bedrooms. Another problem I have is it’s really old so the doors tend to not shut well or all the way, which was how she was able to bust back in last night and attack me

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is not a feral cat, correct? You've had her since she was a kitten?

If she was feral things might be different, but she's not. She's sick. It sounds like she has a poor quality of life - not due to you, due to her mental state - and she's really harming your quality life and that of your other cats.

Unless someone has had a cat like this, they don't understand. To be frank, I have never had a cat like this. But I have had a similar experience in the dog world as my dog has anxiety and is very reactive, and unless people have been there they assume that "it's all in how you raise them" and so on. It's genetic, it's a mental illness. Thankfully medication has helped my boy.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

I would also recommend putting her down. Unless they were able to find a cocktail of medication that works and get her to take it reliably, she will constantly be in this bad headspace and that's not fair to her. Obviously it's not fair to you and your other cats as well, but it's really unfair to her.
:( Not feral, my grandmother bottle fed them when they were practically newborns and on the brink of death. She’s always been different, it’s just escalated

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something else I considered that was recommended by the vet I took her to... is declawing. Which I’m totally against. I’d never declaw a cat, however.... I’m wondering if this could be a near last resort option. I told her that in my research it says it could make aggression worse, and she said in her practice she’s never seen behavior worsen. I don’t know how accurate that is. I don’t think I would do that. But if it came down to her life... and the only risk after is biting, which she doesn’t do much of... I don’t know.