Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Catluvs, it certainly makes it more challenging in a rental. Whatever you decide - and it is your decision - we all know how hard you are trying and how much you love her.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Which wet foods has she tried?
Has she tried any of these? Even if she will eat 1 tbsp, it will be enough for meds.

Fancy Feast cheesy delights
Fancy Feast savory centers
Friskies pate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Which wet foods has she tried?
Has she tried any of these? Even if she will eat 1 tbsp, it will be enough for meds.

Fancy Feast cheesy delights
Fancy Feast savory centers
Friskies pate
Unfortunately. I’m pretty sure I bought one of each of everything at Walmart when I was trying to give it to her. And baby food, chicken broth, tuna, canned chicken, cooked chicken, that paste you can get on amazon, pill pockets, everything. None of my cats will touch any sort of wet food, it’s kind of bizarre. They won’t even eat a tiny piece of chicken from my meal whenever I have chicken, it’s peculiar

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have tried it compounded into a transdermal gel that goes in the ear tip?

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have tried it compounded into a transdermal gel that goes in the ear tip?
No, I mentioned it to the vet and she dismissed it as being too expensive and not reliable enough to work as well as the ingestible options, because of absorption/dosage error, something like that. She didn’t even give me the option really. Although, I don’t think holding her and putting something on her ear would be much easier. Maybe a bit. I’d definitely try it, even if it was a bit expensive, but I tried googling it earlier and it looks like for one month, it could be upwards to 300 dollars. I don’t think that’s feasible for anyone. But if I was able to do that, I’d want it to be gaba or some other kind of medication that doesn’t take several months to kick in, and that’d most definitely require another vet visit. Which I may very well do. It’s just hard for me to deal with it on my own and right now I’m just looking for everything to be as calm as possible, without restarting it all up :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Someone previously mentioned Phenobarbital, no? Not that giving it to her wouldn't still be the issue, but it would likely 'kick in' sooner. Maybe not as expensive?? I still think your vet needs to be a bit more open minded about CC's case. Have you ever considered asking your current vet - or maybe another - to consult with a vet university to see if there have been some studies done on this. There is a lot of information about rage aggression with dogs, not so much with cats. Maybe universities are studying this?

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is she like with other people?

What if you boarded her for a bit?
It depends. She hates my brother (for no reason, I don’t even think he’s been around her alone and wouldn’t be mean to her) and she’ll meow kind of weirdly. She’s been fine with my mom, mostly, but she’s charged at her feet a couple times. I couldn’t tell if it was because of the shoes she was wearing or what. And when my cousin and her little girl have visited, she’s been generally fine with them. But.... I haven’t had anyone at my house since November, maybe earlier. So her aggression issues last year escalated ten fold October when I came in and had the smell of a stray cat I pet on me. She went absolutely nuts, and when I tried to do what everyone says is the right way, putting a blanket or towel over her and putting her in a room to calm down, that made her absolutely diabolical. As soon as I had it over her, she started fighting like I’ve never seen an animal fight and then attacked me really bad, I was locked in the bathroom for 6 hours and had to call out of work. That’s how I got my worst scars on my foot and leg. I think if I boarded her she’d go to a place of no return aggression wise

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pheno is very fast-acting. This was years ago - I can't remember the cost -but it must have not been costly because I don't have much money. But pheno requires frequent blood draws (I think it can elevate liver enzymes or something, so it needs to be closely monitored). Gabapentin is very cheap and doesn't require the frequent draws. My vet gives me a few months of this at a time for my boy.

But if you can't get her to eat it, I see no other choice than the TD gel (unless it is unaffordable). Have you been to a feline-only clinic yet?

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Someone previously mentioned Phenobarbital, no? Not that giving it to her wouldn't still be the issue, but it would likely 'kick in' sooner. Maybe not as expensive?? I still think your vet needs to be a bit more open minded about CC's case. Have you ever considered asking your current vet - or maybe another - to consult with a vet university to see if there have been some studies done on this. There is a lot of information about rage aggression with dogs, not so much with cats. Maybe universities are studying this?
I agree that she hadn’t been much help. I’ll be honest, I’m not too keen on the vet practice I take them to. I’ve already decided that if Tuck blocks again, I’m taking him to another vet I found in my college town an hour away, who I saw had a blog post on FLUTD kitties. Maybe I’ll give them a call just to ask some questions

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pheno is very fast-acting. This was years ago - I can't remember the cost -but it must have not been costly because I don't have much money. But pheno requires frequent blood draws (I think it can elevate liver enzymes or something, so it needs to be closely monitored). Gabapentin is very cheap and doesn't require the frequent draws. My vet gives me a few months of this at a time for my boy.

But if you can't get her to eat it, I see no other choice than the TD gel (unless it is unaffordable). Have you been to a feline-only clinic yet?
Funny thing is, I’d almost rather take her to a dog only clinic. While she gets heightened when she sees or hears a dog, it’s not as bad. If she even slightly hears a cat meow outside, though.... It makes me anxious just thinking about it

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny thing is, I’d almost rather take her to a dog only clinic. While she gets heightened when she sees or hears a dog, it’s not as bad. If she even slightly hears a cat meow outside, though.... It makes me anxious just thinking about it
I mean in terms of the knowledge of the vet regarding unique cat cases. I always prefer a feline-only vet when possible. They don't cost more, but of course, there aren't as many.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean in terms of the knowledge of the vet regarding unique cat cases. I always prefer a feline-only vet when possible. They don't cost more, but of course, there aren't as many.
Oh! No, but the vet I plan on taking Tuck to (I’m really hoping he doesn’t have to go for a very, very long time) has a feline only entrance/section of the clinic. Unfortunately there’s no one around me that specializes in just cats though

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s the same page I was on earlier I think.
ah, I understand, my apologies.
It’s okay! I really don’t mean to shut everyone down. I feel like that’s all I’m doing. It’s just that she’s so cat aggressive :( which doesn’t make a lot of sense since Tuck isn’t, and Lo isn’t really, at least as bad

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh! No, but the vet I plan on taking Tuck to (I’m really hoping he doesn’t have to go for a very, very long time) has a feline only entrance/section of the clinic. Unfortunately there’s no one around me that specializes in just cats though
That is okay, there are many wonderful vets out there.