Suddenly Stopped Receiving Email Notifications

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't always receive email notifications either. Nor do I always get alerts to threads on the actual site, and often find myself happening upon additional posts by pure chance. This would be ok if it weren't for the fact that I seem to sometimes miss being made aware of the thread starter's new posts in threads that I've been involved in for a long time (or even a short time, come to think of it). I feel a wee bit negligent for not noticing updates.

:hellocomputer:
I don't know why you're not getting alerts for watched threads or threads in watched forums if your Alert Preferences are properly set.
alert preferences.jpg

Email notifications work differently. When someone replies to a thread you're watching, you should get an email notification, but you don't get any further emails for that same thread until you log in and read the thread.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Even if you're logged in, you won't receive email notifications unless you've visited the site and read the thread since receiving the last notification. The system more or less assumes you're no longer interested in the thread if you don't.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
What about alerts on the site itself?

And I can't be 100% sure but I think I pretty much always read the threads that I receive email messages about, even if I don't contribute at the time. I've had some threads where I've not received email about, then tracked them down myself, as no site alerts, only to find there's been week's long extra posts, then I've rejoined in the tread only to get radio silence.

I don't want you to think I'm complaining cos I'm not. You all do an excellent job monitoring and moderating. I just feel a wee bit paranoid is all.

I'll continue to be as vigilant as I can.

I don't suppose my input matters all that much but sometimes I do seem to help. And I really would like to be of use.

:nerd:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Are you "watching" the threads or the forums they're in? If not, you won't get an alert unless your post was quoted or purraised, or somebody @mentions you (provided you've checked those boxes in your alert preferences).

The same goes for email notifications - you need to "watch" the thread or the entire forum.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I tell tell every box is ticked, I'm an extremely open person. I even ticked the box for people I follow but don't get any email digests from them. This used to happen in the last platform. It seems little reason to follow someone even thought I'd like to, as nada is the result.

Right then, I'm willing to log out for the first time since I joined last January but I'm frightened about getting lost in the machine and not being logged in again. I don't know my password but can play around. Please would you rescue me if I logged out and found myself lost, as I'd hate to be left out of the only place I feel at home?

:crossfingers:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, every tread is watched. I'm reasonably be savvy but am at your expert mercy to teach me more. And once I learn it, it's in for life, you'll be relieved to learn after all this, haha!

Thank you for all you help. :bouquet:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I get quite a few. I even got one from a thread I posted on back in March/April that nothing more was added to until December, which pleased me greatly! Especially considering my absence from the site for 7 months last year. It's just the odd one, but unfortunately they happen to be ones that I'm deeply involved with and I feel ever so bad for seemingly 'ignoring' the thread starter.

As for alerts on the site itself, I 'think' I get most of them but by no means all (including the important ones mentioned above). I suffer from annoying paranoia that impacts on my life, and I'm trying not to take any of this to heart, but it's a constant struggle. Hey ho.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You do realize that the system doesn't send out email notifications for every new post in a watched thread?

You get one, then you have to go read that post and the subsequent ones.

Then you get one for the first post made after your visit to that thread, and so on.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I figured that, otherwise the platform would probably implode with overwork. :crash:

But that doesn't solve the onsite alert issue, which I would have thought would be part of a different piece of programming. :hellocomputer:

Not to worry though, I'm used to it. I just thought I'd check to see if others shared a similar glitch. :salam:

:thanks:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, I don't know whether alerts are also only triggered by visits to the site, because I check in multiple times a day. Maybe somebody who doesn't can answer that.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, I don't know whether alerts are also only triggered by visits to the site, because I check in multiple times a day. Maybe somebody who doesn't can answer that.
Brian007 Brian007 The alerts must work the same way as the email notifications. When I look at my alerts page, several entries read "There may be more posts after this" .

One way to find and keep track of threads you've participated in is to choose "Your Content" from the drop-down menu you get when you tap on your avatar at the top right of any page (next to the envelope icon for conversations).

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
As jcat jcat said, you won't be getting more alerts unless you visit the thread after getting the first one. The system assumes you know that something has changed in the thread and you'll be checking it out and seeing all new replies.

Just make sure the initial setup is the way you want it -
https://thecatsite.com/account/alert-preferences

Then you'll be alerted once when the thread gets updated since your last visit. To get subsequent alerts you have to visit the thread and read the latest replies.

I hope that helps!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

One way to find and keep track of threads you've participated in is to choose "Your Content" from the drop-down menu you get when you tap on your avatar at the top right of any page (next to the envelope icon for conversations).
There is also a link for "Your Content" when you hover over "Forums" in the general, upper navigation. :D

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Och, I wouldn't worry about me and my forum savvy. I am completely computer literate and also a 'prodder and basher' who checks EVERYTHING. I've been to all the places you've pointed to before I mentioned anything in this thread. I wish I'd just kept my gob shut now. Sorry to have been a nuisance. And thank you all for your thoughtful attempts to help.

:rock:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Look at it this way - the next time somebody has a question about how watched threads, email notifications, and alerts work, we can refer them to this thread.