Stupid Question Re: S. Boulardii :-)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read the technical article on S. boulardii and it is SAFE for people with HIV-1. By critically ill people with weakened immune systems, that means people taking anti-rejection drugs or being naturally immunocompromised in some way. Just having an FIV+ kitty should not be a problem any more than an HIV-1 person would be. If it's working and the cat is responding, I would stick with it. For my 4 feral kittens who probably had giardia and coccidia and God knows what else, it worked. I could not handle them to medicate them with anything else. It took approximately one month to get consistently perfect poop in all four kittens, but it worked, and none of them are on anything special now.

As for making diarrhea worse, perhaps if the kitten has giardia or coccidia and they are now being pushed out by the S. boulardii, I suppose it's possible, but if it persists for more than 24-48 hours being more extreme than it was, who knows? Maybe a culture is in order? For mine, it just stayed the same gassy watery explosive stuff for awhile and then gradually got better, turned into cow pies, then one started forming tootsie rolls, then maybe 50% of the leavings were formed and the others were piles, and I didnt know who had which, and finally nobody had cow pies any more. I kept the boulardii up for another 2 weeks and then gradually cut it down and then out. All is still perfect, no bad smells either!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would google S. boullardi for cats - I came across quite afew online articles last night and it did mention that if it makes the cats runs worse, to stop. Some cats might have a sensitivity to the yeast I believe is what the article stated.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As for making diarrhea worse, perhaps if the kitten has giardia or coccidia and they are now being pushed out by the S. boulardii, I suppose it's possible, but if it persists for more than 24-48 hours being more extreme than it was, who knows? Maybe a culture is in order? For mine, it just stayed the same gassy watery explosive stuff for awhile and then gradually got better, turned into cow pies, then one started forming tootsie rolls, then maybe 50% of the leavings were formed and the others were piles, and I didnt know who had which, and finally nobody had cow pies any more. I kept the boulardii up for another 2 weeks and then gradually cut it down and then out. All is still perfect, no bad smells either!
Thank you! That's a good point about it being pushed out by the s. boulardii. I suspect he does have giardia or coccidia, as he was on Panacur and it cleared up wonderfully but I know it's very easy for them to re-infect. Like I said, it's only day two of trying the s. boulardii and his stool went from loose to liquid at the tail end of day 2. I'll keep at it for now and see how it goes through the weekend. Sending out a stool sample for a definitive answer was the next option if the boulardii didn't work so I'll cross my fingers for now. Thanks again!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would google S. boullardi for cats - I came across quite afew online articles last night and it did mention that if it makes the cats runs worse, to stop. Some cats might have a sensitivity to the yeast I believe is what the article stated.
Whoops, your reply came in after I replied to red top. I did see that mentioned on a site that it could make it worse. I'm going to keep at it through the weekend but in a smaller dose to see if that helps at all. I'll certainly stop if it becomes too much for the poor boy. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, just want to make sure I order the right one...

Is this the Nexabiotic that all the cool cats here use? :)

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you feel that the Nexabiotic is superior to say using the human form of acidophilus? The S. boullardi is helping, but I feel she could really benefit with a probiotic as well. I can order the nexabiotic if that is best - was just curious with acidophilus?
Thanks!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Nexabiotic has 23 strains, and it has enough of the S. boulardii to work as well as pure S. boulardii. In addition, I am told it is tasty and cats eat it right up when sprinkled on their wet food. I have not used it myself yet but probably will in the future. I still have some plain S. boulardii left from curing the four ferals. If you want to know more, there is a good probiotics database available at Probiotics Database

MaplesMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stay away from Zyrtec, Zyrtec withdrawal causes horrible skin reactions in humans. I wouldn’t advise giving it to a pet, based on my own experience with having horrible itching for almost a year after I stopped taking it.