Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was my impression. Good to hear it was accurate. Great cat!!

Hahahaha. Well, I think she knows Ash loves her and really wouldn't hurt her so she feels ok to redirect or take it out on him. I think there is more trust between them then we realize.

Interesting. Sometimes cats do allow others to take food because they are above them or so secure that it is ok. It really is complex stuff. Ember sounds like she does respect Frost. I had a dog that would get bothered by the younger other dog. Pretty wild stuff. And the older dog never did anything, just let her do it. Sometimes animals are so secure they let the other cat get away with things. My oldest girl is like that BUT she does draw the line at times (rarely) but she does tell the other ones to "get inline". Hahahahaha. They are something.

:( My boy outside (feral) will do that to my other feral boy. Sometimes they do that (even when they were neutered for many many years). Poor Ash........ It is a dominance thing. Could have been a feral around that he smelled as well. :/

Yes. Cats can be like that. My girl is like that. She thinks I will do what I want and sometimes just to spite you!! Hahahahaha. CATS!!!!! It is good he isn't as bad as Frost is on the stereo. Hopefully they learn not to go up there. If you can put a cat tree or something like a table around there it might encourage them to choose that rather than the stereo. Do they go on the stereo when it is warmer vs when it is colder?

:( Yes, they do go through that. Some more than others but they all do. :/ They are good cats overall but I know there are certain times...................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do well outside of their issues. All four animals were on the couch with me today. Ember and Ash were back to back nearly touching and Frost was a few inches away from them.

I do think Ash is a bit intimidated by Ember, but he seems to know when he should be afraid. He'll come in while she's eating, look at her for a moment, and then turn around and walk away. She doesn't even do anything other than look at him briefly. But he'll go get Frost's food without hesitating. I don't think Frost would stop either of them from taking his food, but Ember won't even try. She'll sit there and wait until he's done. Ember definitely respects Frost. She does bother him sometimes because she wants to play, but once he hisses she backs off pretty quick.

It's kind of funny that it's a dominance thing when Frost seemed totally content. It didn't seem like something he was doing out of an insecurity with how he was kneading and everything. But, yes, probably a cat. My mom pointed out today that something kept knocking over her pot of catnip and Stella was sniffing the dirt that fell out rather intently, so there's probably a cat coming around for the catnip.

I hope they learn too, but of course now I can't find the tape. There's not really any room out there. It sits just outside my bedroom door because my room sits back a bit from the hall since the linen closet is right next to my room. So there's a little wall that sticks out by my door that's basically just big enough for the stereo. The weird thing is Frost doesn't really use the cat trees. Sometimes, yes, but I think he uses them even less now than he used to. That's the only thing he really gets up on other than the couch and my bed, both of which are slightly shorter. I'm not sure about warm vs. cold because it's a new habit of theirs. Frost started this maybe a few months or so ago and at first it was just an occasional thing. Ash only did it when there were balloons in the hall that he wanted to get to, but rarely did it outside of that time until maybe a couple of weeks ago.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THAT IS FANTASTIC!!! That tells me they really do trust each other.

I can see that. Actually, what you describe is VERY common and normal in multi cat households.

Ahhhhh, yep, probably a cat coming around.

Interesting. Maybe because it is a bit cooler on their bodies (since it started when it got warmer out). Hopefully the tape will work and they will forget about it. Cats are creatures of habit so if they stop they MAY forget about it............ May :/ Let's hope. Don't want that damaged.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, sometimes they do really well. Sometimes Ash doesn't want her anywhere near him and growls at her. He ought to know by now that just gets him attacked.

Good. I'm glad to know they're normal. Sometimes I wonder about them. Lol.

Yep and I think it was back because the plant was knocked over again.

Maybe. I hope I can figure something out. I hate taking it away from Frost, but I don't want him turning my music off. Especially when I'm using it to drown out fireworks. And he sits on it at night when I'm trying to sleep, so I can hear him pressing all the buttons.

We've visited my brother's kittens a few times. They're getting big. The tabby is a bundle of trouble. Your typical kitten. On the table, in the food, knocking things over, climbing the blinds... He bites and scratches and attacks your feet. He's obsessed with Stella. Loves her. Follows her all over the place. The tuxedo is still so small. Very sweet, very tolerant. You can pick her up, put her on your lap, and she'll go right to sleep. She's gotten used to Stella, but is mostly neutral with her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will growl sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if the cat is looking for a reaction as well................. Ash is pretty smart.

Hahahahaha, I hear you. Yep, very normal.

I am sure. They do love their catnip.

I think you will. I know, it is hard to take away a spot they love BUT sometimes we have to. Isn't that the worst when you can hear them doing something they shouldn't be??? Arghhhhhhhhhhh Hahahahaha

Awwwwwwwwww. That is so cute. Yes, some can be terrors. Bundles of energy. If they step up play with him it can drain some (not all sadly) of that energy and teach them toys (rather than feet) are play things. They are so lucky!!! Very cool.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He almost always does get a reaction. Not usually a good one.

It seems like I'm always hearing them doing things they aren't supposed to be doing. I heard noises last night. Had to get up twice. Ember got a cap from an empty bottle of ranch dressing. Picked that up. Heard more noises. Found a water bottle knocked onto the floor and the entire ranch bottle was moved. Apparently Ember likes ranch.

I'm so happy I didn't have to deal with that! We brought a bunch of toys for them that our cats don't use, but I don't think they have a wand toy. Most of ours are lost and/or broken. We are giving them a cat tree though. It's amazing the difference between the two kittens though. I mean, appearance wise and personality.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. They do like it sometimes even when it seems not so good. Of course, Ember doesn't hurt him either so it isn't too bad.

Oh I know. If you don't want them to get into something they will!! I guess Ember sure does. It is funny, we buy all these toys and they play with caps and such...............

Yes. It can be an issue. But they can get out of it. That is great you are giving them toys and a cat tree. The one thing is, the scents of your cats might cause some unease so make sure they watch the kittens. Just so they don't feel insecure. Not surprising there is a difference. I have seen it many times before and not just between the different sexes. It is pretty cute.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she whacks some fur off of him, but never hurts him.

Yep. Their favorite toys are caps. I remember cleaning out the linen closet and finding probably around half a dozen caps that got knocked under the door. We sure spend a lot of money on fancy things for animals who love the simple things...

I did think about the scents, but there's not much I could do to help that considering we go over there fairly often. I'm sure we smell quite strongly of my cats. At least they should be somewhat used to that. They're growing up across the street from the cat house too, so I'm sure there's a lot of cat smells around there. No, I wouldn't say it's surprising. Still interesting though. They might as well not be related at all. They look like they could even be different ages. The tuxedo is so much small with a rounder, shorter face and these wide, innocent eyes. The tabby looks a tad Siamese-ish or maybe oriental. Longer, thinner face. He looks like trouble. Lol. And he's so high energy, curious, stubborn... While she's tolerant, patient, and laid back. They look like they'll be on opposite ends of the spectrum in size. She's quite small while he has some good sized paws on him. I'm interested to see how big they are as adults.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is a good girl. They really know their own strength etc.

Hahahaha, yep. The simple often times is the best.

I would guess the kittens will be ok with the scents given as you say they already smell them when you visit. But it is something I would watch and be cognizant of. But I think it is a low risk and the fact of having a cat tree is a big positive relative not to having one.

They sound so adorable. I am not surprised they look and act differently. They both sound wonderful. It will be interesting to see how big they get. They just sound so cute. I wonder if the boy will corrupt the girl in time........... That has happened with me where they teach wildness!!! Hahahahahahaha They are something.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is. She's very good about her claws and teeth. I'm half surprised she'd use them at all.

Yep. Cats could be cheap if we'd just stop buying fancy stuff.

Yeah, I agree. The poor things are going to have to get used to a lot of cat scents though! I have seen kittens a few times, so there's even more around that house now. But I thought the risk outweighed not having a cat tree too. Especially with the tabby climbing the blinds. We gave them our smallest one to start with. That one has been through a lot. It's our oldest and we gave it to my aunt because she wouldn't get one for her cat. Then it came back to us and now to my brother's.

They're adorable. I have to bring my camera over them, but we don't usually plan when we go and I forget to take it when we do. I sure hope he doesn't corrupt her! She is playful and plays with him, but so much calmer and more laidback. That's not to say she hasn't bitten me though... They both love my shoes. So does Frost. :rolleyes:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they know. It is pretty amazing. I feed the ferals by hand sometimes. It is funny, sometimes they bite into a piece of chicken and they will feel my finger and not go further. They get real cautious and gentle. It is pretty amazing they know they could hurt and they don't want to. BTW I don't advocate anyone feeding ferals by hand!!

Hahahahaha, yep. Actually they are a good lesson, we don't need to bankrupt ourselves to be happy. Sometimes the best things are free!!

I think it is great. My cats deal with a lot of scents and feral scents. As long as we build confidence etc we can get through it. And the more they smell and realize all is good (food access, water, litter box access, being safe) then it works out usually. I think it really just comes down to a cat's confidence. The more confident they are the more they can accept.

They sound so adorable. He may. Cats do like to get others in trouble with them. Hahahahaha Their teeth can be sharp. Yes, they can love shoes especially laces.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Ember is usually very gentle when it comes to taking food from me. She's gotten a little worse when it comes to getting scraps from us though. We cut her down on human food due to her being overweight and now we rarely eat meat ourselves, so she doesn't get it often. She gets riled up and impatient and sometimes snatches the food a little too quickly.

Ash, however, has been pushing limits. He likes to slap our legs if we walk by him around meal time (which for him starts up to two hours before the actual meal). Now, it didn't bother me much because it was always very soft and half-hearted, but he's gotten worse. It started getting more frequently, got harder, then every now and then there'd be a slight prick of claws. The claws got worse. He got my mom and I both pretty good last night and actually drew blood on me. He's never done that before.

Yes, they are. Ember herself was a good lesson in that. We paid hundreds of dollars for the boys. Didn't pay a thing for Ember. She's just as great of a cat as they are.

Hopefully growing up with those scents will help and it'll just be normal to them when they're adults. I'm a bit surprised my cats aren't used to other cat smells. We lived on a dead end in our previous house and there was a little woods behind us. Not even much of a woods. But there animals out there. I would've expected there to be cats. We saw some around when I was much younger, but hadn't seen any for a while. Our neighbor across the street had an outdoor cat too, but I don't think he came to our yard after being attacked by Midnight the first a few times.

One trouble maker is enough, I'd think! She seems too sweet to be like him, but I know she can be. She does get playful sometimes and will bite hands/feet. I don't think they're ever going to have names though! Everyone just calls them "the black one" and "the gray one" except me and I call them "the tuxedo" and "the tabby."

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, they can get a bit wild at times. But she would never hurt you intentionally in that situation.

:( Yes, they can do that. Usually they are pretty careful but they can make small mistakes. Most of the time it is a play thing. I tend to do a "no" in a firm tone that they understand. Cats have an instinct to swat at moving things so it happens but teaching them legs, hands etc are unacceptable is important. The problem is it is hard to find the right balance to teach them that.

Yes, totally agree. I think the most important thing a person can give a cat is love and the good news is that is free (and rewarding for the human)!!

Yes, I think growing up around scents is helpful. All mine are and have been ferals so they had to learn how to exist with other animals. But they still can get territorially insecure so it is always important to keep their confidence up. I think they will be fine. It does happen where cats get insecure and for a number of reasons. When that happens it is just best to work on building confidence (play, food, height and love). I think your cats are fine. Sure there might be moments but nothing really concerning in my opinion.

YES!! Hahahahaha. We definitely do not want her to be biting hands and feet. I would encourage them to discourage that now. Not yelling or hitting but a firm "ouch" or "no" should be helpful. Well, "Black One" and "Grey One" are really names. As long as it is consistent then they will learn their names. Sometimes it is hard to figure out a good name........... As long as the person says the name in a positive tone then it is good. It really is all about emotions. Cats can sense being loved or in bad situations being disliked etc.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I know she wouldn't. I am a little more cautious about handing her food, but not afraid by any means. Now, hand feeding Ash tends to cause a bit of pain.

I don't know why he does it other than he's impatient. I'm pretty sure it's not playful. I've seen him playful. Telling him no doesn't faze him in the slightest. Nothing does. I've put him in the bathroom after jumping on the counters before and he'll still jump up with me standing right there. I don't know how to teach him it's unacceptable when nothing bothers him. He doesn't care if you don't like it or if you tell him no.

Yep, I agree.

It would be easier if the boys would play. They say it's too hot for that. Ember plays a fair bit though. She doesn't always play twice a day, but she plays usually at least once. It would be nice if they didn't fight though. Ember and Ash don't have a perfect relationship by any means, but they've been doing alright lately. Mostly just minor issues that don't last more than a few seconds.

I agree. I don't really know what they're doing about the biting. Honestly, I find it very hard to be firm with them because they're so dang cute! I don't know how anyone teaches kittens anything. They look too innocent. They were supposed to have different names, but no one could agree on the names. Everyone had different ideas, so everyone calls them by their color or sex.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she loves you so much. She would never hurt you intentionally. Yes, some cats are better than others in being gentile with food. I have found that my ferals over the years actually knew when they got my finger rather than the chicken and they would stop biting. It is pretty extraordinary really.

It probably is impatience. My girl is exactly like him. Doesn't care what I say, she may stop with my "no" but 5 minutes later do it again. :/ All my other ones including my ferals do listen though. But once in a while we get a stubborn one........

Yes, that will slow them down (the heat). The good news is play is just on leg of the confidence stool. It is great Ember is playing though. Yes, they have their little issue but deep down they love each other. They just have a power struggle at times. My boy really chased one of my girls last night. out of the blue. It happens. As long as thee get over it quickly it isn't the end of the world. Even humans who truly love other humans get into it at times. No relationship is perfect.

I know, It is hard to be firm with a cutie. And a lot of the time they don;t get it anyway. But it is important to kind of try to stop it now before it becomes an issue. That innocent look is really something , huh? They will get into something and then look like they are so innocent. Some keep that!!! (like a couple of mine!!). Naming is difficult. You are good at it but many of us are not good. I have a girl cat named after a boy!!! Who I am to tell anyone!!! Hahahahaha. I have a funny story. I had a feral coming around (intact). He was a black cat and in my rush I called him Black Cat. I finally trapped him and took him in to get neutered. They asked his name and I of course said "Black Cat". The person looked at me like I was crazy. Hahahaha. He comes every time I call him still. 6 years. I can't change his name now!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash did the reverse. He used to be good about not getting my fingers when taking food. I blame his medication. Since we started medicating him to cut some fur down, he's gotten bad about biting fingers. That medicine seems to pretty much eradicate his bite inhibition. He'll sit there and chew on my fingers since I feed him treats while my mom cuts the fur.

He won't stop. He doesn't care if you tell him no. Now, he doesn't always slap, but it's usually 1-4 times a day. But he can't get away with using claws and drawing blood. My mom wanted to get purebred cats thinking they'd be more laid back and less likely to hurt me. If she got rid of a cat for something, it would probably be that. And I'm allergic to them, so scratches from them aren't exactly fun.

They are alright and do well with each other. I guess I just kind of miss the days when I'd come home to Ember and Ash curled up together in my bed. Or seeing the rare occasions where they actually played together. It didn't happen often before, but it almost never happens now. And Frost won't play with Ember much. Sometimes I forget that she's younger than them and actually has higher energy levels. She's not an extremely active cat. I found a picture on my phone of all four of them laying next to each other earlier today. It was sweet.

Haha. That little female doesn't even have to try to look innocent! It's just her natural expression. She has wide eyes and a small head. She almost looks surprised. She's still so tiny too. She really does look like she should be a lot younger than the male. He's grown a lot since they got him, but with the female it took a while before we were able to really notice a difference.

I'm not that great with names, really. Ash got his name because I had been obsessed with it around the time I got him. I wanted a gray cat so I could call him that. Frost was named kind of on the spot since Bella wasn't exactly fitting anymore and I think that was around the time the movie Rise of the Guardians came out, so he was actually named after Jack Frost. With Ember, I knew I wanted to stick with the theme, but it was actually my mom who came up with her name. And I didn't name Stella. Lol. My mom actually had a cat named Kitty when she was a kid. People do give animals some basic names sometimes and not even because they're rushed or dealing with ferals who don't trust them. It's hard to name a cat you don't know anything about. There's one cat at the cat house that I just call Pretty Kitty. The one I believe is the dominant male I call Old Tom because he looks old and he's a tomcat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. That isn't good but interesting you view the medicine as a potential cause.

:( Well, just try to tell him no and stay very calm and confident but stern telling him. I have found cats realize they hurt us and they tend to then reduce that behavior. Sometimes when we react with a bit of anger or something it can escalate it (not saying you do). But trying to get the emotional thoughts across in written form. It is hard to explain sadly. One of my girls doesn't listen on pretty much everything but if she accidentally hurts me she luckily does respond. I hope Ash changes. :/

I know. My twins (brother and sister) have drifted apart while another cat has gotten closer to each. It happens. I always view it as long as they are happy then I am happy. Energy levels certainly do matter. My youngest is full of energy and wants to play and the others just don't with her (she plays too rough and weird with other cats - she has terrible social skills even though her mom tried to teach her). THAT is AWESOME they were all together today!! YES!!! I have never had all four of mine together :( let alone including a dog or dogs!!. WELL DONE!!

Awwwwww. ADORABLE!!!!

Well, that is really good with names in my book!!! One of mine is actually named "Black Kitty" now!! She was a little feral many years ago and I named her that. I tried to trap her but she got pregnant. She had kittens she never brought and I could never find her kittens. She never stayed here only came for food. She would NOT go into the trap. One day she had a physical issue and she was giving up on life and let me put her into a crate to get her into a vet. She came in the house and has been a part of us for the last 6 years. Same name. Hahahaha, not original but she sure does respond to her name!!!

Old Tom and Pretty Kitty I like a lot. It does get hard because I never want to repeat names either..............

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it seems like too much of a coincidence that it began right after the first time we gave him the medication though I don't know why.

I'll try, but I have rather little hope that it works. It hasn't for anything else. But maybe he did realize he hurt me more than he meant to because he hasn't actually done it lately. I think that was the last time he slapped me. He's still obnoxious and bugs me an hour before meals and basically nonstop from first dinner to second dinner, but he seems to linger around the walls more rather than run out in front of me.

Yes, it's sad, but it's fine as long as they're content. It was just reassuring to see them together. No matter how many issues they had, they could go back to being friends, but now it seems like they basically just tolerate each other. Neither friends nor enemies. I've had some minor issues because Ash has been spending more time in my room. I think the storage room is too hot (it's miserable out there), but not entirely sure why he ended up in my room. But it's become the norm for all three to end up by my door at night with either Ash or Ember right in the doorway and the other just inside and Frost hanging out nearby. Then someone starts growling. Not sure who or if it's the same cat every time, but I think it's Ash. Mostly because last night Ember seemed way too calm to be the one growling and Ash has a slightly deeper, louder growl. And they're in the doorway, so I can't get out to get treats. I always worry just walking over there will send on fleeing and the other chasing, but it hasn't happened yet.

It's pretty rare that I get all four of them like that. All four on the couch is uncommon, but not entirely rare. But all four in a pile like that has only happened maybe a few times. The only other time I can think of was when they were all on/around me.

The tuxedo has actually gotten a lot bigger than she was. I can really see the difference now and she seems to be starting to catch up with the tabby. Still quite a bit smaller though.

Well, at least she responds. That's more than I can say about Ash! Most of the time anyway. He does choose to come sometimes. It's good that you were finally able to get her, but she must've been pretty ill if you were suddenly able to get her. Ferals don't strike me as easy to persuade into changing their minds. They're smart and tough little creatures.

I don't like repeating names either. Pretty Kitty is the classic tabby that I really like the looks of. Rich brown fur and bold black markings with vibrant green eyes. I'd always say "Hello, pretty kitty" when I walked by her, so that became her name. She was one of the "originals" that I first saw at that house. I don't see the others much anymore. There's a new black cat that's barely scared of us at all though and another interesting looking tabby with fur so light it's almost yellow-gold.

I'm wondering if Old Tom isn't a bit hard of hearing though. We (my mom, Stella, and I) were going for a walk one evening and saw him laying on the sidewalk with a little tux kitten nearby. He was laying with his side to us, looking towards the houses. The kitten was facing us. He didn't notice us coming though. The kitten looked back at him like, "Um, there's people coming. Shouldn't we be leaving now?" But he still didn't budge. We were getting in his danger zone where I knew he should be running off and so I called out to him to try to get his attention, but he didn't even so much as flick an ear. My mom made a noise and the kitten took off running. Then he jumped up and looked at us. He stood there for a moment with his head down before darting off in the same direction as the kitten.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is just so hard to know. :/

I know it is hard. I am guessing he knew he hurt you and feels bad about that. It is amazing how aware they are. Just try your best and try to stay as calm, confident and loving around him as possible (I know it can be hard at times). Sometimes cats can sense we are upset with them and they act out which makes us more upset and it can get out of control. Not sure that is what might be happening here but I know I think of that with mine all the time.

I agree, that is the main thing, they are happy. Yes, a little battle on territory always can cause issues. But growling happens. It is communication and if it ends there then it worked (to avoid any issue). So anytime we avoid a negative it is actually a positive. My oldest will growl at my youngest once in a while and sometimes I get a chase. It just sometimes happens. But all we can do is build confidence and give them many places to hang out and minimize bottlenecks. As long as they rebound quickly then it isn't too serious. It is very rare to have perfect situations in multi-cat households. :/ I think you are doing a great job with them.

I know what you mean, if we get up then one scatters and a chase usually happens. I too weigh that decision (whether to get up or to let them work it out). Always a question. I have to do that with the outside ferals as well and sometimes trying to help caused bigger issues. :(

THAT IS SO COOL!! I have never seen mine together like that. :(

Awwwww, that is so great. She is probably getting the needed nutrition now to grow.

Ash is a bit independent (cat like) it seems. Cats I think just choose not to listen. I deal with it a fair amount sadly. :/ We all do.

Sadly, she was not doing well. That is why she let me grab her and help her. But it worked out for her, she is a happy girl now loving life!!

Ferals are amazing but ultimately they are cats that respond to love. I am helping someone now that is doing amazing things with 2 ferals. Amazing how they respond to pure love. It is awesome. They have to be smart and tough to survive. It is awful out in the wild.

Pretty Kitty sure sounds like a great name. She sounds beautiful. I bet she will respond to her name soon (if she hasn't already). Some cats are so use to people like the black cat. The golden tabby sounds gorgeous.

Hmmmm, I wonder. I think sometimes cats get so use to people that they are like "walk around me"!! Hahahahaha. It is probably a good sing that people in your area don't do bad things to the cats and that there probably aren't many predators. He probably was so comfortable he was like "I am not getting up unless I have to". I hope he is not hard of hearing though.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure I don't help Ash's behavior. I'm not the most patient person. I'm working on it. Though his slapping doesn't usually bother me too much since he doesn't typically do any harm, his running out in front of me does. He's had good days and bad days as far as acting out goes. Today has been pretty good. He did get a hold of a chocolate chip cookie, but fortunately didn't eat much of it. At least I've seen him pee in the litter box twice in the last two days. That's more than I usually see.

Ash and Ember seem to have finally gotten over the growling in my doorway, fortunately. He still hangs out in there quite a bit and I've had all three in there without issue. They have their minor issues, but they do remind me that they can get along sometimes. Ash will groom Ember a bit when she walks by him. Heck, he's even groomed me. Like, actually groomed my arm for a minute or two. Not just a lick like I taste good.

Definitely a matter of choosing not to listen. Ash knows his name. I know he knows his. He'll usually twitch an ear at me and he does sometimes come. Just not always.

Well, it's good that it worked out in the end.

I agree, ferals are amazing. I'm sure they have to put up with a lot living outside.

She is a pretty kitty, after all. I don't see her as much though and haven't been able to talk to her like I was. That black cat was eerily comfortable with us for a feral. Kind of makes me wonder if it's not a stray. We've also had a black cat that I thought might go after Stella. It was by someone's house and the closer we got to it, the lower it's head got. I could tell it was staring right at Stella too. The golden tabby is pretty. I've only seen it twice, I think. Looks like Pretty Kitty with lots of dark, bold black markings, but Pretty Kitty is a deeper brown while this one is more yellow-gold. Different fur types too.

I don't know. Old Tom has always been pretty skittish. Not run-off-at-the-first-sign-of-people skittish, but still quite nervous. He has boundaries. When he first sees you, he stops and stands perfectly still with his head down and stares at you. Once you get to the next boundary, he walks off. Doesn't really run, but speed walks. This was the first time I had gotten past that second boundary without him even noticing me and he ran this time. I don't think there would be many predators other than dogs though. Probably some raccoons and opossums and possibly the occasional fox, but we don't have a ton of wildlife.