Struggling With New Kitty

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 3 year old cat from the shelter about 3 weeks ago. She had her own little room and my husband and I took turns sleeping with her a few nights. My other 3 kitties knew something was up, and were curious. I followed the cat introduction protocol for about almost two weeks- we let her out when she was ready. The new kitty (Eyevie) now rules the upstairs, and the other kitties have all decided to stay downstairs.
What's really bothering me is that she has run toward my other kitties both up and downstairs. She's not aggressive, but my one of my other three (Dottie)is really upset. Poor thing hasn't been upstairs in a week- she used to sleep with us and had her routines with us. Now she's been confined downstairs because she is terrified of Eyevie.
I found some sprays by Jackson Galaxy that I've ordered, one called "Bully" and one called "stress". I'm hoping this will work, but I'm really emotional because of the turmoil it's causing. Eyevie was brought to the shelter from a hoarding situation with 30 other cats. I would think she would get along fine with other kitties.
Have a pit in my stomach-
Lindsaygirl

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Since you followed the standard introduction protocol (and props to you for that!) it sounds to me like the cats just need to get a little more comfortable with each other. The good thing is that there's no aggression. You may need to regress a little with the interactions between Eyevie and Dottie. Go back to the scent exchanging for a few days and then glass door or baby gate meetings. During these meetings, have one cat at each side of the door or gate and one person with them, giving treats to reward for good behavior.

After Dottie seems comfortable with seeing Eyevie, the next step is to have scheduled play sessions where you first feed all three cats to make them feel full and a little lazy, just to take the edge off of any hyperactivity that another cat could interpret as aggression. Get all three cats in a room together, and drag a fishing-pole style toy around for the cats to chase. This will focus their attention away from chasing each other and show them how they can play nicely together. After this, give each cat a few treats. This acts as a reward for good behavior, and gets the cats to associate each other with something they like (food!).

Let me know if you have any questions & welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like we're past the treat and food stage. Eyevie chased Dottie 3 times tonight. Out of concern, i did jump up and yelled "no", but Eyevie backed off a bit. It's only when she moves, though.
Do we start over and separate them again? Things were fine until Eyevie started chasing Dottie. Poor Dottie is stressed. What can we do now? My mom thinks it'll be fine, and it just needs to play out.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Go ahead and separate them again. Cats are solitary by nature; it sometimes takes then a while to get acquainted with a newbie.

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm.
Eyevie came from a hoarding situation with 30 other cats. I think it might be hard for me to isolate her for several hours during the day while we are at work, or keeping her locked in a room day and night.
Is it possible to reintroduce then after 3 weeks?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It might not take that long. After scent exchanging for a week, move to the glass door or baby gate meetings. Once the cats seem comfortable with seeing each other (so no hissing, trying to attack the other cat through the door/gate), then you can move on to monitored play sessions, that I mentioned earlier.

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, cool. I don't have either a baby gate or glass door, though
I appreciate your help!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You might need to purchase a baby gate. This really is a crucial step in the introduction process. Here's a link to an inexpensive one that you can get at Target: Target : Expect More. Pay Less., $25 is a small price to pay for working to establish a good relationship between your cats.

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually took the new kitty outside and closed the sliding glass door. Dottie came to the window and the two kitties looked at each other. It actually went well. I tried it again the next day.
I also bought a spray by Jackson Galaxy to help prevent bullying and to chill everyone out. It seems to be working. Everyone is eating breakfast in the kitchen, Eyevie comes and sits with us and no one else freaks out. The other kitties are on alert when Eyevie is around, but I can definitely see and feel things calming down.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I actually took the new kitty outside and closed the sliding glass door. Dottie came to the window and the two kitties looked at each other. It actually went well. I tried it again the next day.
I also bought a spray by Jackson Galaxy to help prevent bullying and to chill everyone out. It seems to be working. Everyone is eating breakfast in the kitchen, Eyevie comes and sits with us and no one else freaks out. The other kitties are on alert when Eyevie is around, but I can definitely see and feel things calming down.
Sounds great! Glad that everyone seems to be getting along. Are the cats indoor cats in general? Inside is the safest place for cats. Outdoor cats are at risk for contracting FIV, FIP, FeLV, getting into fights (with other cats, dogs, wolves, foxes, bobcats), being hit by a car, or even poisoned or shot at.

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know. I had her outside for about 5 minutes, and it was he first time on a harness, too! She did great!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I know. I had her outside for about 5 minutes, and it was he first time on a harness, too! She did great!
Awesome! Sounds perfect. Harness training is a great way for cats to safely explore the outdoors, and get some exercise, too.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 3 year old cat from the shelter about 3 weeks ago. She had her own little room and my husband and I took turns sleeping with her a few nights. My other 3 kitties knew something was up, and were curious. I followed the cat introduction protocol for about almost two weeks- we let her out when she was ready. The new kitty (Eyevie) now rules the upstairs, and the other kitties have all decided to stay downstairs.
What's really bothering me is that she has run toward my other kitties both up and downstairs. She's not aggressive, but my one of my other three (Dottie)is really upset. Poor thing hasn't been upstairs in a week- she used to sleep with us and had her routines with us. Now she's been confined downstairs because she is terrified of Eyevie.
I found some sprays by Jackson Galaxy that I've ordered, one called "Bully" and one called "stress". I'm hoping this will work, but I'm really emotional because of the turmoil it's causing. Eyevie was brought to the shelter from a hoarding situation with 30 other cats. I would think she would get along fine with other kitties.
Have a pit in my stomach-
Lindsaygirl
The cat I brought in does not show any body language when my cats hiss and growl at her. Her tail quivers then she goes behind the window blinds. My bed frame is removed so she cannot get underneath

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat I brought in does not show any body language when my cats hiss and growl at her. Her tail quivers then she goes behind the window blinds. My bed frame is removed so she cannot get underneath
I have used trauma, scaredy cat, and self esteem spirit of essence on her. It has helped. She will eat in the kitchen with my cats. Still goes back to my bedroom. My cats that scare her I've used grouchy, space saver, and peacemaker. I also just bought some Feliway

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you feel the sprays are working? The Feliway hasn't helped too much for this issue. Waiting for Safe Space to arrive. Hopefully that will help, too.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always put it in their food. Never tried the spray. Just be sure to tap the bottom of the bottle first. I put a 50" tower in my bedroom. That helped a lot

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is it going now? I did a search and your post came up because I can SO relate. I have a 3 year old male from a hoarding situation who runs up and jumps on the other 2 cats too!! He has been with us for 2 months now. It doesn't seem aggressive, more like play and not knowing his limits perhaps due to the hoarding past life. But it bothers my other male cat quite a lot. My girl sort of holds her own and he backs off. I am very surprised because I thought the problem would be more like hiding and shyness. I watched him at the shelter and he had shared a space with another cat. But i am wondering if it's a product of the hoarding, he has some freedom now and go nuts. I clap when he goes too far with my other boy. He is very bonded to ME, no problems there. He sleeps with me at night and loves to cuddle. It's just over energetic and just hyper all day and goes to far with my other cats with the play. I have felliway going for multi cats and I feed them together and that goes fine! It's just when he gets OVER hyper during the day. I am hanging in there with it, common sense tells me he will calm down with time. He is just getting used to his new found freedom.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
could it be possible that your stress is the problem? let them be cats and stop watching videos. Feliway is a temp fix

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
could it be possible that your stress is the problem? let them be cats and stop watching videos. Feliway is a temp fix
My stress could be a factor, however I can't stand to see my girl Dottie being picked on, and there needs to be boundaries. What videos are you referring to? I'm on this site for help and ideas on how to handle the situation as well as offer my own advice. If you read the threads, Feliway isn't helping. Thanks for your suggestions, though.