Stray Kitten About To Give Birth!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes it may be a natural rotation of sorts.

I gather she is taking care of both groups?
I started a new post because this has to do with the kittens. I switched Mistie and her babies to a bigger box because the other was getting cramped. This morning and just a few minutes ago, she moved the biggest 2 kittens to a cat bed next to the nest. I'm not sure why she's doing this because they are very healthy, at least I think they are. They are the biggest 2 kittens and I wonder if she's trying to give the other 3 a chance to eat more. I'm just not sure! Help please!!
:help::please:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the first time she moved them, I put them back. The second time she was feeding the moved 2 when I packed them all up and headed to the vet. I saw bright red blood clot on her lady parts and wanted to make sure she was ok. I called the vet first and they said to bring her in.
It's a good thing I did, because she had a fever. The vet gave her antibiotics.
When we returned home, I set her old box back up and I think she prefers it because it's more "cave like". We'll see what happens.
IMG_20181013_102108322.jpg

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So changing her box back seems to have helped so far. She's due to get her next dose of antibiotics soon. She seems to be doing better today. She does seem to want my attention just as much as when she was pregnant.
When she goes to take care of the kittens, she meows at me to follow her until she's done. Lol!
Today she actually brought the runt to me and my dog, whom she loves, to feed her. It was so cute. The dog wasn't sure what to think about that but was happy to meet a kitten. :lovecat3:
IMG_20181014_084321264.jpg

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wrong. She wants me to be there with her. I left for work and she moved the 2 big ones into a separate bed and left 2 small ones in the nest. The 5th one she left on the floor next to the nest. Thankfully I have a camera on them, so I can keep an eye on them when I'm gone. I had to race home to get the tiger back into the nest as it's a concrete floor and he wouldn't have been warm enough on his own. :confused2:
I can't stay home for the next few weeks to keep them safe. I would lose my job.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Rbecker! Do you have a big crate? Maybe you can keep mom and kits in a big crate while you are at work.
:greenpaw: :bluepaw::greenpaw::bluepaw::greenpaw::bluepaw: :tabbycat:

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have one, but I put a call out to friends and family and my step mother in law does! We will get it later today and get them into it. At least then, I know she can't take them far.
I do work 8 hours a day, how often does Mom need let out for bathroom breaks?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have one, but I put a call out to friends and family and my step mother in law does! We will get it later today and get them into it. At least then, I know she can't take them far.
It's worth a try! :salam:

... I do work 8 hours a day, how often does Mom need let out for bathroom breaks?
That I don't know, as I'm not an expert in kittens or new momma cats! We did have one great Advisor staff member here who would know, Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , but I haven't seen that member around for a few months.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm actually at home right at the moment. She won't let me leave.
I'll see what I can find out. I am doing some work from home right now.
:redtabby:

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm getting a large crate to keep momma and kittens in until they are older because she keeps moving them to unsafe places when I'm not home with her.
How often does she need to be let out to use the litter box?
I usually work 8 hours a day.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm also worried that if the cage is big enough to put her litter box in, that she will start putting the kittens in that when I'm not home.
I know it wouldn't be good for them to be in the litter box.
She's a very young stray that we brought into our basement to have and raise the kittens.
They will all be fixed before going to new homes if the vet will do it that young.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How large is the crate? A dog-sized crate would work best. That way you could put a smallish litter pan inside, along with mom’s food and water.

Although mom may be able to go 8-10 hours without a litter box, it’s not healthy to hold it. Even a cake pan sized disposable aluminum pan is better than nothing.

Are mom and kittens currently closed off in one room?

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm borrowing the crate and it was used for a lab before, so it's going to be a good size.
They are all in the main part of the basement so bigger than one room but closed off from 2 other rooms down there and from the upstairs where our resident (fixed ) cats are. We are going to try and find homes for all, including momma once the kittens are old enough.
I'll look into a small disposable tray for while I'm at work just to be safe.
Thank you!!
Also, any tips would be helpful as this is the first time I've gone through this before.
I've raised an orphaned kitten before but never this young.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(Thanks for coming back, Sarthur2! I bet you were trying to take a break after the usual 'kitten season', so I hope it was okay to "Mention" you! You've been missed!)

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We will have the crate later today. Kittens just turned a week old today and momma is about 7 months old.
She delivered at the vet's office last week because she was having a hard time getting the kittens out.
Then they all went to the vet saturSat because mom hhad some bright red discharge and confirmed fever.
They said the kittens were thriving too.
She is now on antibiotics for a few more days. She just seems to want to make sure I'm right near her all the time.
She seems to have seperation anxiety with me.
I am trying to make sure they grow well but I definitely don't have time to bottle feed any of the kittens, nor do I want to lose anymore. The first of six didn't make it.