starting cat on an elimination diet due to suspected food allergy

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet never mentionned it as a possibility for allergies, but then again given the number of symptoms he had, she didn't really think that regular over the counter allergy meds would work. If he has IBS on top of that, he'll never be off of that anyway.
There isn't anything else for IBS?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There isn't anything else for IBS?
Vitamine B12 shots weekly to start with then monthly (if he has a b12 defficiency), and nausea meds when he gets nauseous, although B12 should help with that. It would hopefully be enough to keep him asymptomatic. Some cats have to take stronger immuno suppressant meds if that's not enough. Hopefully we would not need that.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vitamine B12 shots weekly to start with then monthly (if he has a b12 defficiency), and nausea meds when he gets nauseous, although B12 should help with that. It would hopefully be enough to keep him asymptomatic. Some cats have to take stronger immuno suppressant meds if that's not enough. Hopefully we would not need that.
Yes it would be nice if the B12 did the trick!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sigh indeed.... the positive thing about having him on steroids is that it should prevent stomatitis to come back full speed. I'll take that. It's a horrible disease, so painful that I wouldn't wish it to my worst enemies!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sigh indeed.... the positive thing about having him on steroids is that it should prevent stomatitis to come back full speed. I'll take that. It's a horrible disease, so painful that I wouldn't wish it to my worst enemies!
I read up on it (stomatitis) and yes it is horrible! Steroids suck but they are DEFINITELY the lesser of those two evils!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
huxleysmom huxleysmom Probably best to start another thread focused on Huxley. Many posts off of the original topic and intent make it a challenge to follow along with my story. My cat is no longer on the elimination diet, so I'll probably move on from this particular thread and start a new one if needed. Wishing you both the best going forward.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! Things have been really rough over the last week, I didn't realize I was taking over an active thread. My apologies. I hope all is better for your kitty! :-)

huxleysmom huxleysmom Probably best to start another thread focused on Huxley. Many posts off of the original topic and intent make it a challenge to follow along with my story. My cat is no longer on the elimination diet, so I'll probably move on from this particular thread and start a new one if needed. Wishing you both the best going forward.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! Things have been really rough over the last week, I didn't realize I was taking over an active thread. My apologies. I hope all is better for your kitty! :)
Please don't apologize. It is my fault too. Our conversations did start with allergies and elimination diets. Sometimes things just evolve. Huxley has had a medically rough little life. Do not apologize. I am however invested in him now and want to keep tabs! Please start up a Hux thread and let me know :)

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little harsh. There had been no posts in over 3 months until I revived the thread with my cats own allergy issues. I do hope huxleysmom starts a thread for him. He has had it pretty rough so I prefer to see some compassion.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's all good kittensx4 kittensx4 I am sure R rawlins02 didn't mean anything mean by it, but was just trying to help. Besides, I did take someone else's thread. It's not good online forum etiquette. She's right, if I want to continue talk about Huxley, I need to start my own thread. I just did. :)

Last edited:

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's all good kittensx4 kittensx4 I am sure R rawlins02 didn't mean anything mean by it, but was just trying to help. Besides, I did take someone else's thread. It's not good online forum etiquette. She's right, if I want to continue talk about Huxley, I need to start my own thread. I just did. :)
I know there is online etiquette but there are manners and compassion too. I'm glad you started a thread.