starting cat on an elimination diet due to suspected food allergy

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice lisahe lisahe I certainly will ask my vet. She is quite open to my suggestions and comments. I think that Huxley's red spot is sue to him currently eating grains (or at least I think it's not helping)
A few weeks ago Huxley stopped eating completely because he was so nauseaous. Now that I think about it, the same thing is kind of happening now, but the last time he ended up having to stay in the vet hospital. The vet decided that at that point the priority was to find something he would eat and not throw up. Since pork seems to be a safe protein for him and he can't have peas either, we settled on Hills science sensitive stomach. He has been eating it well, even now with nausea being back, but I am afraid it's not agreeing with stomatitis. Right now I am trying to get his stomach settled so that I can leave him for a month while I visit family. I'm going to try to change him to wet only before that if I can, but he seems reluctant. I think wet food makes him more nauseous than the dry for some reason. He goes to it, smells ifand walks away licking his lips. I'm hoping that after a couple of days with nauses meds he'll feel better and might try it.
Thank you for your support kittensx4 kittensx4 .
I am glad to hear that Runt is doing well. Hux and I are having a cuddle sessions this morning! He is such a little angel!
Thank you for your support kittensx4 kittensx4 .
I am glad to hear that Runt is doing well. Hux and I are having a cuddle sessions this morning! He is such a little angel!
Hux sure is a cutie! I'm glad you are having a better morning. I am totally just throwing this out there, but when I am trying to get my guys to eat more wet I add a little fortiflora probiotics powder on top. I swear they will eat anything with that on It! Just trying to think up a way to get Huxley back to his wet food.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's ok kittensx4 kittensx4 . There are many pieces to that crazy puzzle. It's hard to keep track, even for me! I appreciate the suggestion.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice lisahe lisahe I certainly will ask my vet. She is quite open to my suggestions and comments. I think that Huxley's red spot is sue to him currently eating grains (or at least I think it's not helping)
A few weeks ago Huxley stopped eating completely because he was so nauseaous. Now that I think about it, the same thing is kind of happening now, but the last time he ended up having to stay in the vet hospital. The vet decided that at that point the priority was to find something he would eat and not throw up. Since pork seems to be a safe protein for him and he can't have peas either, we settled on Hills science sensitive stomach. He has been eating it well, even now with nausea being back, but I am afraid it's not agreeing with stomatitis. Right now I am trying to get his stomach settled so that I can leave him for a month while I visit family. I'm going to try to change him to wet only before that if I can, but he seems reluctant. I think wet food makes him more nauseous than the dry for some reason. He goes to it, smells ifand walks away licking his lips. I'm hoping that after a couple of days with nauses meds he'll feel better and might try it.
Yes, it could be that there's something in the wet food that's causing his problem. I think you're doing the right thing to focus now on getting him to the point where you can feel comfortable leaving him with your friends while you're away. (I know how hard that is!)

As for the source, yes, grains, peas, all those sorts of things can be huge problems. The theory on Bartonella is that it causes inflammation, too... and of course if that does happen, then you have more sources of inflammation.

Thank you for the photos! Huxley looks like such an affectionate cat, I hope you're able to sort this all out. (I think you will...) Good luck!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's ok kittensx4 kittensx4 . There are many pieces to that crazy puzzle. It's hard to keep track, even for me! I appreciate the suggestion.
Well when I got home tonight it looked like Runt had been scratching again. Not bad, but his skin didn't look as good tonight as it has the last few days. I gave him 2 mg of his allergy meds and am hoping it was an isolated incident. Ugh!!!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that kittensx4 kittensx4 . Allergies suck!!!! :-(
Huxley is not eating any of his wet food and now refuses the tuna treats or tuna water with the meds. I'll have to call the vet again tomorrow.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that kittensx4 kittensx4 . Allergies suck!!!! :-(
Huxley is not eating any of his wet food and now refuses the tuna treats or tuna water with the meds. I'll have to call the vet again tomorrow.
Oh No! I know it's not ideal, but will he eat his dry at least?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I seem to remember my vet telling me a while ago that some cats with IBS don't handle the texture of wet food very well. I think she said something if the sort anyway. He is not eating the wet or the tuna treat today so I'll have to call them again tomorrow. Maybe they can do some sort of an injection to stop the nausea. The other vet suggested B12, but I think that's something I would have to do weekly. I have no idea how I would do that. He is the gentlest and sweetest cat in the world and will not fight or hurt me, but his flight instincts are ridiculous. I tried to put some of the tuna treat on his nose for him to lick it, he ran away from me and hid for an hour!
About the virus, is it aome kind of underlying thing that can be hiding in his system for a long time? I mean, he had his teeth removed a while back now. Could it still be an issue? I will definitely ask the vet though.
And as I am typing, Huxley has decided to start eating! Yay!!!! Let's hope he eats it all. It has the pred in it!
Yes, it could be that there's something in the wet food that's causing his problem. I think you're doing the right thing to focus now on getting him to the point where you can feel comfortable leaving him with your friends while you're away. (I know how hard that is!)

As for the source, yes, grains, peas, all those sorts of things can be huge problems. The theory on Bartonella is that it causes inflammation, too... and of course if that does happen, then you have more sources of inflammation.

Thank you for the photos! Huxley looks like such an affectionate cat, I hope you're able to sort this all out. (I think you will...) Good luck!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has finally decided to eat the wet food (the one that has the steroids in!) trying my hardest to not do an actual happy dance as this'll freak him out! Fingers crossed he eats it all!
He eats the dry, so I know he wouldn't starve, but he takes the steroids in his wet food. While I am away he needs to eat it consistently

Oh No! I know it's not ideal, but will he eat his dry at least?

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I seem to remember my vet telling me a while ago that some cats with IBS don't handle the texture of wet food very well. I think she said something if the sort anyway. He is not eating the wet or the tuna treat today so I'll have to call them again tomorrow. Maybe they can do some sort of an injection to stop the nausea. The other vet suggested B12, but I think that's something I would have to do weekly. I have no idea how I would do that. He is the gentlest and sweetest cat in the world and will not fight or hurt me, but his flight instincts are ridiculous. I tried to put some of the tuna treat on his nose for him to lick it, he ran away from me and hid for an hour!
About the virus, is it aome kind of underlying thing that can be hiding in his system for a long time? I mean, he had his teeth removed a while back now. Could it still be an issue? I will definitely ask the vet though.
And as I am typing, Huxley has decided to start eating! Yay!!!! Let's hope he eats it all. It has the pred in it!
So glad he is eating!!!! Oh they will worry us to death wont they!?!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley ate all of his wet food last night. I gave it to him in 2 portions. The first one had pred ( I went back to 5mg as the last vet I saw doubted I would be able to wean him off and suggested I went back to that). He seemed to perk up relatively quickly after that. I then gave him another portion of food with the nausea meds, which he happily ate too. This morning I found a big and very healthy looking present in the litter box. I never thought seeing poo would make me so happy!! Lol
If keeping him healthy means having him on steroids, then so be it. We'll just have to monitor him closely. It should also help keep stomatitis at bay. At least I hope. I'll call the vet today and ask her how long I can keep him on that neausa medication.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Huxley ate all of his wet food last night. I gave it to him in 2 portions. The first one had pred ( I went back to 5mg as the last vet I saw doubted I would be able to wean him off and suggested I went back to that). He seemed to perk up relatively quickly after that. I then gave him another portion of food with the nausea meds, which he happily ate too. This morning I found a big and very healthy looking present in the litter box. I never thought seeing poo would make me so happy!! Lol
If keeping him healthy means having him on steroids, then so be it. We'll just have to monitor him closely. It should also help keep stomatitis at bay. At least I hope. I'll call the vet today and ask her how long I can keep him on that neausa medication.
Great news to start the day! I am so glad Huxley is feeling better. I get what you mean about the pred. It sucks when that is all that works, but what can you do. Hoping for more great days ahead for you guys! Runt looked the same this morning. I gave him 1 mg of his allergy med. Hoping he is no worse when I get home. Oh how I just want this to end. Is it really asking so much that these babies are happy and healthy?!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
huxleysmom huxleysmom -- yes, Bartonella (there are multiple species of it) just stays in the body. Many cats have it but are asymptomatic, though they still carry it. Here's a very good, readable article about it that sums up ways it can affect cats: here! (I really like the articles on 2nd Chance: they're very informative and rational.) The article's mention that many cats with symptoms of bad breath and mouth infections test positive for Bartonella and improve after treatment fits out case: our cat with the worst gingivitis also had terrible breath, it was absolutely disgusting. Whether cause was the Bartonella or the other bacteria Dr. Hines mentions, I'm glad the problem has been taken care of!

On a happy note, I'm very glad to hear Huxley has been eating. And kittensx4 kittensx4 , I hope the allergy pills help Runt.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a very informative article, thanks lisahe lisahe . I will definitely bring it up to my vet. I just called her and we agreed to wait until Friday to see how Huxley does with nausea and food, and we'll make a decision then with regards to doing a steroid shot if it looks like eating will be an issue when I leave. She also recommended I did a blood test to try and confirm IBS and start B12 shots if he needs it. Otherwise she says treatment would remain fairly similar execpt I would have to stop trying and wean him off, and would give him nausea medication as soon as he starts showing the same signs again (starting with refusal to eat wet food in the morning and more frequent lip licking). Interestingly enough she said that Cerenia was not safe long term, but that I could use Pepsid for long periods of time. I feel slightly relieved now that we have a plan.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a very informative article, thanks lisahe lisahe . I will definitely bring it up to my vet. I just called her and we agreed to wait until Friday to see how Huxley does with nausea and food, and we'll make a decision then with regards to doing a steroid shot if it looks like eating will be an issue when I leave. She also recommended I did a blood test to try and confirm IBS and start B12 shots if he needs it. Otherwise she says treatment would remain fairly similar execpt I would have to stop trying and wean him off, and would give him nausea medication as soon as he starts showing the same signs again (starting with refusal to eat wet food in the morning and more frequent lip licking). Interestingly enough she said that Cerenia was not safe long term, but that I could use Pepsid for long periods of time. I feel slightly relieved now that we have a plan.
huxleysmom
huxleysmom huxleysmom I am glad things are going good. I am curious what did your vet say was the reason you couldn't do cerenia long term? That drug came up when we were trying to figure domething out for Runt. Even though thats not what we went with I'm still curious. My vet mentioned it as an option but didn't want to jump into it as she felt there wasn't enough research/info on using it with cats do it was a risky choice.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 I have no idea why it's not safe to use long term. She just said that the lab that produces it doesn't recommend it for long term use. Howver, she said they use it for cats with cancer on a more long term basis and they have not had any problems. It is a medication for nausea. Is that a problem with Runt too?

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 I have no idea why it's not safe to use long term. She just said that the lab that produces it doesn't recommend it for long term use. Howver, she said they use it for cats with cancer on a more long term basis and they have not had any problems. It is a medication for nausea. Is that a problem with Runt too?
No, she said she has researched it as Being used off label in cats for allergies with some success . She has not personally used it for that but threw it out there as a possibility if traditional allergy meds don't work for him . We didn't wanna jump right to it of course because she hasn't found any reliable research about the long term affects on cats.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, she said she has researched it as Being used off label in cats for allergies with some success . She has not personally used it for that but threw it out there as a possibility if traditional allergy meds don't work for him . We didn't wanna jump right to it of course because she hasn't found any reliable research about the long term affects on cats.
It is so frustrating and unfortunate how few meds there are that work for cats without the risk of some potentially dangerous or life threatening side effects. Especially since there are so many horrible diseases and issues they can get.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet never mentionned it as a possibility for allergies, but then again given the number of symptoms he had, she didn't really think that regular over the counter allergy meds would work. If he has IBS on top of that, he'll never be off of that anyway.