Spiders or snakes????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they can be very crazy. I have learned to NEVER try to trap one in the corner. I do think that they are too big for the cats.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, there's no training a snake, although if kept well fed they usually won't constrict a human. But for thick snakes over 8 feet long, safe handling practices dictate that another adult always be present during handling, just in case. Even if it's just holding on to you and not actually constricting, if it holds onto the wrong spot you might not be able to get it off by yourself.

I agree that corn snakes are good pets; docile, personable, good eaters, and they don't get too big. Ball pythons are also docile and don't get big but they're not as outgoing and can be picky eaters.

My cats don't bother the snakes and vice versa.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, there's no training a snake, although if kept well fed they usually won't constrict a human. But for thick snakes over 8 feet long, safe handling practices dictate that another adult always be present during handling, just in case. Even if it's just holding on to you and not actually constricting, if it holds onto the wrong spot you might not be able to get it off by yourself.

I agree that corn snakes are good pets; docile, personable, good eaters, and they don't get too big. Ball pythons are also docile and don't get big but they're not as outgoing and can be picky eaters.

My cats don't bother the snakes and vice versa.
If I ever get a snake, he/she (they are girls and boys, right?) will be free-fed. Corn snakes are the ones that catch mice in the corn fields, right? Ball pythons are picky-eaters? Does that mean that they won't want to eat a human? I don't think that the three I have would bother a snake. They have never killed one.
:lol:had to cover things not knowing your age:lol:
LOL. That's okay.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I ever get a snake, he/she (they are girls and boys, right?) will be free-fed. Corn snakes are the ones that catch mice in the corn fields, right? Ball pythons are picky-eaters? Does that mean that they won't want to eat a human? I don't think that the three I have would bother a snake. They have never killed one.
yes corn snakes are the ones in corn feilds.ball pythons are all captive bred no so no more picky eaters (they are to small to eat humans) that was the issue in the past when only wild caught were available in the pet trade all pet snakes are captive bred nowfor the most part.its better to buy captive bred reason being it keeps the wild populations and habitat safe plus no parasites etc to deal with along with healthy animals to not stressed from capture housed in bad conditions then shipped out to a pet storeetc.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We plant corn every other year (it's organic so weeding it is NO FUN) so it's a good thing that corn snakes are friendlier than others. I have a real quick question: can there be mixed breeds of snakes?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We plant corn every other year (it's organic so weeding it is NO FUN) so it's a good thing that corn snakes are friendlier than others. I have a real quick question: can there be mixed breeds of snakes?
not that i know o fbut you should still be careful if there are rattlers native to your state out in the fields they like eating rodents

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we have rattlesnakes.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we have rattlesnakes.
then wear a good pair of boots and look around before you grab any tools laying on the ground cause they blend in pretty well with their surroundings plus they might not rattle to warn if they feel hidden good but will still bite oh yeah gopher snakes are good snakes to

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We don't use any kind of tools. Dad uses the hoe because he doesn't trust us with it. LOL. They may bite before they rattle?! Thank you for letting me know. That's very alarming. I think I'll stay inside...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I ever get a snake, he/she (they are girls and boys, right?) will be free-fed.
You can't free-feed a snake. If you let live mice or rats run around in their enclosure, the rodents will bite/eat the snake, causing infections and/or death. Feeding pre-killed rodents is best, but if live rodents must be used, they should only be put in the enclosure when the snake is good and hungry, and removed promptly if the snake doesn't eat them right away.
feilds.ball pythons are all captive bred no so no more picky eaters
Haha, no, sadly, the little beasts are still fairly prone to pickiness. My brother has one who will ONLY eat hooded rats, lol. No solid-colored rats for his majesty!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, no, sadly, the little beasts are still fairly prone to pickiness. My brother has one who will ONLY eat hooded rats, lol. No solid-colored rats for his majesty!
yikes id have thought things were different now that they have been bred captive thepast 20 years or since i kept snakes

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sure they're FAR less picky than wild-caught individuals. But they're definitely not garbage disposals like my boa or his cornsnake.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sure they're FAR less picky than wild-caught individuals. But they're definitely not garbage disposals like my boa or his cornsnake.
the red tail i had was my favorite but lots has changed since back then all the color morphs a melanistic corn was selling for top dollar back then