Spayed cat in heat???

peckerberto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 year old cat was spayed about 11 years ago but now is exhibiting all the behaviors of a cat in heat. How can this be possible and should/could she be spayed again?

big mondowski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What exactly are the heat symptoms you mention? Bleeding? Yowling? Physical, behavioral, or both?

To your first question - it could be possible if some tissue had been left behind after her first surgery, but is HIGHLY unlikely after all these years. Much more likely there is something else bothering her.

Either way, you should get her to a vet.

To your second question - in most cases, a second spay is possible and necessary IF indeed tissue was left behind. This happened to my husband's Siamese rescue - she went into heat about 6 months after he adopted her, requiring a second surgery since her first spay was incomplete (she'd also been brutally declawed by her first owners but that's another story).

Whatever the case, I hope your kitty is feeling better soon.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any change in behavior can indicate illness, so better get her to the vet for a check up.

What exactly is she doing? If she is washing alot down there, she could have a urinary tract infection. If she is scooting, she could ahve constipation or blocked anal glands.

If she is walking around howling she could have had a stroke, or have hyperthyroid disease, or even deafness.

Everything I've mentioned here requires veterinary attention though, and at her age you don't want to put it off.

Welcome to TCS, and please keep us updated on your kitty. (what's her name?)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After so many years she wouldn't be in heat. Please take her to the vet.

Originally Posted by Big Mondowski

What exactly are the heat symptoms you mention? Bleeding?
Cats don't bleed in heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peckerberto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her name is Diablita. She started the yowling, walking around with her rump elevated and wanting to go outside about a week ago. She eats well. I have another spayed female, her sister, named Angelita. I named them for their personality. I have always allowed them to go outside and they never leave the garden. Things are a bit different here in Mexico. Anyhow, Diablita has quieted down considerably since yesterday so I'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice and concern.