Wet food portion

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys, please I have a question concerning wet food. I am trying to switch to wet food completely as dry food is very high in calories although I keep my boy checked but he keeps gaining weight. I also measure his food.
I was wondering if one pouch of royal canin is enough through the whole day?
He is very low active, a typical garfield haha

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello guys, please I have a question concerning wet food. I am trying to switch to wet food completely as dry food is very high in calories although I keep my boy checked but he keeps gaining weight. I also measure his food.
A cat need at least 200 calories a day even if they are low active. Normal calories need for an average active cat is around 200-250 calories per day.

If they don't meet the calories needed per day, they'll be always looking for food. Yes, dry food get them to put on weight as dry food don't keep them full for a longer time. Wet food is better as they are full of nutrients and proteins and they keep the cats hydrated and fuller for the day.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
According to a cat site article 20x your cats weight. Not totally accurate. My 6 pd cat peaches eats more than my 9 pd Maggie. Peaches food has more fat and calories,Maggie's has more protein. I have always wondered if protein causes her to feel more full

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say this probably is not going to be enough food. There are a lot of variables here. How much does your cat weigh currently? Do you want him to lose weight? What is the make up of that Royal Canin pouch? (calories, protein, fat, etc) I would NOT say that every cat needs at least 200 calories because my 15 pound cat was at one point only eating 180 calories per day when he was on a diet, but it was about 99% animal protein. And my 9 pound cat was eating around 250 calories per day at the same time and maintaining his weight. So...

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most things state 10 to 30 calories per pound depending on activity level and metabolism of the specific cat.

You need to watch based on body condition.

If he's under the age of 2, he may still be growing as well. So that could be why hes gaining weight, if his body condition looks good.

Attachments