Somewhat Unadoptable Misfit Cats Available For Forever Homes...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestion! I'm going to make some flyers today and give them to my rescue friend. I don't have a car, but maybe she can hand some out. The Rescue groups have to say no to a lot of people here, but I wish they could be nicer about it. There must be someone out there who could let a kitty live on their porch. They aren't much trouble.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That could be worth pointing out as the rescues I'm familiar with want inside homes for their cats & dogs. Not an option for some potential adopters.

"Could I stay on your porch?" Under a photo of kitty with Looking for a loving home. Keeping inside is not a requirement.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is tricky getting good adopters though and checking them out. And you have to keep them locked up for a while in a crate or porch because they will feel scared and try to find their way home.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely! Thought perhaps vet offices would be a good way to find the right adopter. Also they may know of individuals who foster/rescue. Could be a valuable network opportunity.

I remember "your vet" said these cats weren't adoptable. Perhaps if you let them know current situation, they would know someone who would like an outside kitty.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely! Thought perhaps vet offices would be a good way to find the right adopter. Also they may know of individuals who foster/rescue. Could be a valuable network opportunity.

I remember "your vet" said these cats weren't adoptable. Perhaps if you let them know current situation, they would know someone who would like an outside kitty.
It's not really my vet, it's the rescue lady's vet. She's the one who takes them there. But they have helped her get quite a few kitties adopted. So it is a good idea to ask for their help.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surya@ I love this photo of Heart! She has stolen mine.

Think facebook would be a excellent way to get help for these kitties. Perhaps something along the lines of "You can make a difference, save a life, be a hero". Help other see how amazing these kitties are. That adopting an adult cat is a wonderful thing. Ideal for someone who doesn't have time for a kitten. Adult cats are more independent. Give them reasons why they should consider adopt one of these sweet kitties.

The profiles you've done on this post are wonderful. They give individual information on each & really create interest in that particular cat. If you could make flyers to post at pet stores, vet offices, place where animal lover can see them. Think that could spark interest too.

These are just some thoughts I wanted to share. Again I'm disappointed rescues are not a helpful resource for your situation. Guess I'm idealistic & feel they should provide assistance or suggestions. Individuals like yourself need a network to move forward & succeeded instead of roadblocks.
SO right you are, Z ZepMom and thank you for those great suggestions! POSITIVE wins the day. In my advocacy work, I am always aware that the most successful and truly caring organizations, such as Best Friends and Alley Cat Allies, take this tack rather than the pitymongering negative slant that some apparently think will garner interest. Possibly it does, but it is the wrong kind. When we love and care for someone, we want the best for them and with cats, we are looking for loving permanent homes, not someone that adopts out of pity, because the latter are not stable and responsible caregivers.

Pepsi216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really like the idea of "Can I stay on your porch?" or "Can I live in your barn?" or "Will work for mice!" Most people naturally think about bringing the animal into their home, but this could spark the alternative idea of simply caring for a kitty on their property that might be more feasible but not otherwise occur to them. Good luck!!

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tarasgirl06@ I think the negative slant comes from frustration. Also media uses it to get attention. I think the Pedigree shelter campaign has been amazing. Sheds light on animals that aren't broken, simply need another chance. I believe Surya kitties are in this category.

I think most believe rescues are providing a network & solutions to assist homeless animals regardless of situation. Unfortunately I guess there are just too many in kill shelters for them to provide any assistance to individuals trying to help the other homeless animals.

It feels like Surya & her kitties and others trying to do what they can to help these amazing animals, are slipping through the cracks. This post has been a really eye opener for me.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm will only put them in a coyote feeding program (barn cats) as a last resort. I guess you haven't read the thread.