Somewhat Unadoptable Misfit Cats Available For Forever Homes...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But aren't there barn cat programs that work? The ones here seem to be working well since they're monitored.
I can not say they never work, it is better than letting the cats be euthanized, so I am in favor of them as an alternative to euthanasia. People have an idealized idea about the life of farm cats, and that is why they dump them in the country, as coyote bait. I know this from personal experience growing up in the country. They would all disappear overnight, killed by some wild animal. I believe these programs have the best of intentions. But it's kind of like dropping off a not so tame cat off at a shelter and assuming it will be OK. The kitty might get lucky, but its chances are not great.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
surya surya : that was my sad experience as well. Also, a lot of farm dogs have a high prey drive and will kill any cat that they are not raised with. A friend of mine took 19 ferals out to the therapeutic riding center in the next county over (from a colony that I managed) and in a few months, the center was again advertising for barn cats. A disabled friend of mine had her daughter send a deceased lady's cat out there in response to that ad & the daughter reported that there was a nice shed for the cats to acclimate and she counted 14 cats in it (a red flag for me). And then a few months later, they needed more barn cats yet again. Now, I grew up with properly trained guard dogs who almost never harmed kids, chickens, cats, rabbits, calves, etc. but they never allowed losses to coyotes or mountain lions either so I suspect the riding center's situation - did their numerous dogs go after the cats or are the cats being sold? (the program director's husband used to brag that he got the state to buy him a horse ranch. and he and I had, years before, butted heads over him cursing his wife's adopted 11yo son, calling him "nappy head" as a derogatory thing - a term I had never heard before but the other racial slurs I recognized. So I called him out on it & he "tried" to bully me - his mistake! ).
Also, I found this distressing article about Austin, which makes no mention of attempts to help cats & kittens: Austin animal shelter, using office space for dog kennels, at critical capacity
So, I don't want to discourage you, Surya, but I DO want to alert everyone that your situation is probably more urgent than was initially expected.
Sending prayers and vibes from California :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I want that cat! I saw that it is still homeless! You just keep doing what you are doing! One foot in front of the other, one kitty rescued at a time. You’ve been doing an amazing job. I know how hard it is and every time I see the kitties you are helping, I want to grab them up. They are so completely loving and sweet! Not to mention beautiful. You have every good thought, hope, vibe prayer and all the love I can send your way. One person at a time and one cat at a time. Voluteeers please! Save a kitty! Even one is something done!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I want that cat! I saw that it is still homeless! You just keep doing what you are doing! One foot in front of the other, one kitty rescued at a time. You’ve been doing an amazing job. I know how hard it is and every time I see the kitties you are helping, I want to grab them up. They are so completely loving and sweet! Not to mention beautiful. You have every good thought, hope, vibe prayer and all the love I can send your way. One person at a time and one cat at a time. Voluteeers please! Save a kitty! Even one is something done!
EVERY life is precious beyond measure!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some good news, I have an application in with a transport group to have six kitties taken to a rescue/sanctuary up North. Yay!

The next hurdle for those kitties will be to acquire 6 crates (recommended size is 24 x 18 x 19.25 inches) either metal or hard sided plastic. If anyone wanted to get one on Amazon and send it to me, I could put in on a wish list.

Or if you are in Houston and have one you could donate, I could find someone to pick it up.

My rescue friend will have to take them all to have rabies shots and get health certificates. The cost of doing this is an issue, so I am trying to think of ways to raise money. ugh.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some good news, I have an application in with a transport group to have six kitties taken to a rescue/sanctuary up North. Yay!

The next hurdle for those kitties will be to acquire 6 crates (recommended size is 24 x 18 x 19.25 inches) either metal or hard sided plastic. If anyone wanted to get one on Amazon and send it to me, I could put in on a wish list.

Or if you are in Houston and have one you could donate, I could find someone to pick it up.

My rescue friend will have to take them all to have rabies shots and get health certificates. The cost of doing this is an issue, so I am trying to think of ways to raise money. ugh.
I've been waiting for a chance to help you out! How much is a crate? A lot of us here are full with cats but might be easier to help with money.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been waiting for a chance to help you out! How much is a crate? A lot of us here are full with cats but might be easier to help with money.

Well, it doesn't have to be a specific crate, just around the recommended size. I will do some shopping and see if I can find one that is cheap. Thankyou!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a PayPal account? I prefer to donate through PayPal because it is anonymous for all and faster than GoFundMe and the recipient gets the full amount. Chase bank offers Quick Pay and that works well, too.
Having both options would be good. Seeing a partially funded goal helps people get motivated to donate too.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a paypal account, but I lost my password and can't figure out how to get into it. I will set up a new one. I'm still shopping for carriers. My rescue friend wants me to ask for plastic ones, because the kitties will feel safer and since the rescue/sanctuary they are going to, will get to keep them, they are more useful. My rescue friend is not comfortable with the Gofundme thing, but she can't afford all the vet bills, so I will keep bugging her. She said I could start one for a kitty with a broken leg, but I haven't caught that one yet. She's anxious for me to catch it. I'll do my best. Thanks for all the prayers and offers of financial support. You guys are awesome. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob: