Some advice for this wounded feral

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But I never know if there are steps backwards too.
Having said this, yes. It’s likely but not always one step forward and two steps back but you have to be prepared for this. In such condition, it may happen.
So don’t be dismayed by it but just continue what you are doing without betraying his trust. Once his wounds start to heal and eventually, without all the irritation and pain, it’ll be easier for you and for him and the bonding will start.

I’ve been doing eye blinks. It’s tough to tell if he blinks back because obviously he blinks otherwise.
Eye blinks may be just a little and may not be possible. I believe he’s doing that but with mixed feelings now.
Don’t worry, keep up your best and he’ll be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the hope and support and advice. I do feel like there is small progress each day and week. It’s slow going but life is not a rush.

He seems to be blinking a bit more w me but honestly I cant be sure. I’ll stay the course.

For now, I’m mostly concerned about his wounds. I do Believe there will be a solution but I am a bit nervous that his scratching will cause problems.

I’m going to try and call and find a couple different vets tomorrow and get their opinion on the wounds and recommended treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It’s been a very busy week or so.

Whitey had has a vet visit a week ago thurs. I had been in touch w an agency that deals w thousands of ferals and they set up an appt w a vet they use regularly. They removed a section of his skin (that bad wound in the picture) and stitched and stapled him back together. I have him on cage rest so he doesn’t try to reopen the woundvor keep scratching. The biopsy is difficult to decipher but they think eosophilia w an underlying allergy but nothing is for sure. He also got neutered and got distemper as well as flee prevention again.

His wound looks good. The vet took a visual on thu. 2 more weeks till suture/staple removal. I tried a larger cage yesterday for a few hrs but the camera showed he has enough room to scratch so he’s back in the smaller one. He’s also on gabapentin.

He’s not super happy when I transfer him from cage to cage to clean and give him food. But for now, it’s for his best. The piece of skin they removed had necrotic flesh.

All in all, he’s doing better. It’s been quite an adventure for me. Who knew 8 weeks ago? Such is life. Progress w socialization is obviously at a standstill. He will still do slow blink sometimes but he’s not super fond of being confined. One day at a time...