Some advice for this wounded feral

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's good that he feels safe enough to come out of his carrier and hang out in other spots when none is around. Yes, peeing because he is spooked by something might be why your finding pee in odd places.

Someone might have mentioned this before, but do you have Feliway in his room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He seems to be “all business” when I’m not around. Sleeps, eats, drinks, pees, poops...I see Him stretching and scratching and that’s about it. Perhaps that’s what cats do most of the time. I hope He becomes more social to expand his freedoms...

I do Have feliway. I’ve had it since the first week.

I found Pee on the top step today which is the first time it’s been there. I wish I knew why he is peeing in random spots. He seems to use one litter box for mostly pee. There’s a lot of evidence he’s peeing there. I cleaned out both boxes fully and put in fresh litter. (Of course I maintain them daily)

I wish There was a cat to English translator. He can go days without peeing outside and then days in a row doing the opposite. I know it’s been mentioned a few times that neutering will help. I’m trying to give him much more time before subjecting him to more trauma. I guess I’ll just keep the train rolling. At least he seems healthy and healing and comfortable. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update: I looked closer at the feliway diffuser and saw it was empty. I thought It had a little left but that wasn’t the case. I plugged In a new one and for 24 hrs, no pee outside the box. We will see later today if that’s still the case.

If so, does this mean the random peeing is due to stress?

The other change I noticed Is when I went down to see him, he wouldn’t look directly at me right away.

The camera has also shown me that when I’m not home he sleeps on the steps for a few hrs at a time, comes down to drink water and his other essentials and then goes back on the steps. About the same time each day he goes back into his carrier before I get home. He doesn’t know about weekends and keeps the same routine.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If so, does this mean the random peeing is due to stress?
It could be, plus thinking of the pee you found at the top of the stairs, he's possibly trying to claim territory?

How's his neck doing?

Are you able to spend time sitting on the bottom step, or on the floor by the steps, and without looking at him read something pleasant aloud to him for a little bit?

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think maybe you are right. For 2 straight days, no pee outside the box. Today in 2 places. One was on a pee pad. The other, caught on video, he pees on the side of his food bowl. Which goes under his water bowl too.

Anyone have an opinion on this? And do we think neutering would help?

I put a couple of towels on one of the upper steps for his comfort. I believe no pee on those. Perhaps him laying on those is enough of his own scent for him.

His neck is ok but very tough to tell as it’s hard to see the wounds while he’s in his carrier. I do see on video that he scratches a few times of day. I think he’s healing slowly because I find less evidence of scabs on the floor and less evidence of blood spatter on the walls.

I know I dont have it the toughest w all the stories I’ve read but at least for me, this isn’t a walk in the park. His nickname is little stinker because he’s always given me a run for my money.

I keep my patience and understanding. I’m sitting 3-4 feet from him and he’s puts his head down, not even pointed toward me, and dozes off. So I believe he knows I’m not here to hurt him. I believe he knows I bring Him food.

I tried to attach the video clip of him peeing on the bowl but it won’t upload. It’s a great clip. He rests his foot on the rim of the bowl and everything...

Can anyone reassure me that this should subside over time??

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do believe it will subside. It seems I’ve missed a lot but my advice from before is still advice I think applies. Neutering should help. He seems to be acting like any feral as far as marking. Did you notice if he peed on the food bowl right after eating? That would be cat speak for, “I didn’t eat it all, but it’s mine and no one else can have it!” He is not only claiming it but making sure no one else will want to eat there. Poor guy is probably still worried about predators smelling food and/or eating his food. Peeing random places can be marking or just nerves. No UTI is great. I would still like you to monitor his urine. Is it dark? I know an unneutered male has a strong scent but try to keep track of the smells. It gets stronger with any issues. Was he tested for FIV/Felv? Although there is debate about the usefulness of l lysine, I give that to my Felv cat and he has made it to a ripe age. It is thought to boost the immune system. You can ask your vet about it. Does your vet normally handle ferals? It helps if they have experience with them. He strikes me as a bit lonely. I know he hasn’t really gotten used to humans but the more time you spend socializing, the better he will come to accept you as a companion. Right now he still runs but it won’t always be a mad dash away. Keep your head low and whenever possible, your body on the floor. Getting down to his level is less intimidating. You can imagine if someone came in and towered above you, kind of nerve wracking.
I’m glad he is healing now. You’ve done an amazing job with him. He’s such a beautiful baby! When he is strong enough, get that neutering and if it hasn’t been done, get him tested. One thing that might actually seem negative but in reality, be positive, is that he marked the top step. He could be expanding the territory he claims. He may feel a bit more secure now. As for urinating on the food, um, I think that if he is all healed and get neutered, much will improve. He will not feel he has to mark everything. Hoping all continues to improve. Bravo to you. Great job!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
One of my girls does the same thing. She's 8 years old, spayed, been with me since she was a kitten, but if she sees one of the cats she doesn't like when she's on her way to her litter box she'll pee in a water bowl instead. I have more than 20 cats, so I have huge water bowls. One time I caught her mid tinkle. She managed to get it all in the bowl without spilling a drop.

:crackup:

I think it's still a sign that he is a bit stressed and his water bowl somehow feels safer than making a trip to his litter box. Tom cats will spray near a food source though, to mark it as there own.

What did the vet say about neutering? Do you need to wait until his neck is fully healed? As the testosterone will take up to 30 days to completely leave his system you might not see any changes in his behaviour at first. I think getting him neutered as soon as you can is a good idea. It's really hard to work on any behaviour issues with intact cats.

Not sure if I've already suggested this, but Zylkene in his wet food might help to calm him down.

Zylkene® | Vetoquinol USA

And just to let you know you're not alone, I've been following this old tom cat's story on YouTube for a while now.

This is only the first part. He's now letting his rescuers treat his eye problems and he's starting to accept being petted.

Hang in there, all things are possible.

Last edited:

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No matter how many times I write thank you, it can’t express enough how helpful everyone has been with info and support.

So to try and answer the questions, he did not pee at all in the bowl. Really quite accurate w getting it all outside. I smelled the food and no pee at all. I do believe he was just marking. He ate before and after. His bowls always have food and water. He sips and picks away all day. Little bits here and there.

He hasn’t been tested for anything except uti. I do plan on testing him at the same appt as the neutering. The vet I went to was the emergency part of the animal hospital so I’m not quite sure if they deal w ferals. I will have to find a good vet ahead of time. I would like to wait for a while till he settles in a bit. I’d rather not subject him to more trauma for a while. He’s been through a lot. I can deal w some pee for now.

His pee seems to be yellow or light yellow or clear. That’s what I see outside his box. The scent varies slightly but it’s always pretty similar. Nothing you’d want to make a scented candle out of.

I will definitely look into the lysine or zylkene. I know I have it easy but it seems like there’s a lot to do for him and the days seem short.

The last couple of days seem to show a slight change in his behavior, I think for the better. He seems to stay out of his carrier longer and not go back before I get home. How he has looked out at me last night seemed a bit more like a house cat.

I honestly do try to spend time w him. I weigh how much actual time I have and if I go down early in the day on the weekend, he may hide out in his carrier the rest of the day and I think He’s becoming most comfortable in the space. I do sit on the floor and talk to him and then just do my own thing without focusing on him. The basement floor is also not the most comfortable w someone w a tender back. It’s honestly not a lot compared to all the stories but it’s a lot for me. I never had planned to care for an animal let alone like this. Not only is it a big change for Whitey, it’s a big change for me too. I don’t deserve the praise but I do appreciate the support.

I’m wondering if anyone might give their opinion if I should Try and open the other side of the basement to him that has a window on the door that will provide natural light, or just keep things the same for a while longer or till he gets neutered?

And any opinions on timeline for neutering?

That you tube video is amazing. I have no problem admitting that seeing animals in such a tough condition makes me cry. Seeing that cat get love and care and warmth yields the same results. It’s heartbreaking but also inspiring. I sometimes wish animals were immune to suffering on this planet. My value system views that as unfair. But it’s not my world.

I’m really one of the most impatient people mentally, but in practice and interaction, im very patient. When he was outside, he would bolt when he saw me. Over time, me making noises w my mouth and calling to him softly, one day he didn’t run out of sight. He stopped 25’ away and waited. And from that moment, it’s been a slow trust building process. All things considered, I sit 3-4’ away from him, put his wet food bowl down 2’ from him and he’s calm and shows no aggression. I know It may take months or many months. I guess I’d like him to progress for his sake. So he can have better more fulfilled days. I’d love to see him roam the house freely even if he never comes over to me. So long as he lives better. I never did this to have an animal to pet and cuddle w. I guess it’s mostly up to him.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
All things considered, I sit 3-4’ away from him, put his wet food bowl down 2’ from him and he’s calm and shows no aggression. I know It may take months or many months. I guess I’d like him to progress for his sake. So he can have better more fulfilled days. I’d love to see him roam the house freely even if he never comes over to me. So long as he lives better. I never did this to have an animal to pet and cuddle w. I guess it’s mostly up to him.
You've been doing great thus far :clap2: Having you sit near him feeding him and talking to him shows that you really care for him and he knows that. Though he may not be showing it, by his not bolting away means he's gaining trust in you.

It may take awhile before he totally gain your trust so let him be and make him as comfortable as he can little by little each day. Letting him have more space in the room is secondary. Once he totally trust you, let him explore the room or house on his own timing. He may or may not like to move around now or later but the main point is that he's no longer outside to face the elements but is now safe inside.

Continue to speak softly to him, do slow eye blinks with him to show your love. While doing the slow wow blink, say aloud the word 'blink eyes' so he can associate it with the action. After a period of time, try saying the word and see if he responds by blinking his eyes. If he does, it's a bonus and if he doesn't, just do the regular blink eyes with him and you may want to continue with the word and action together.
Always praise him for doing the right things and even if he does not do anything by just sitting there. He needs all the assurance from you.

Remember, love, patience and routine rules day. Do continue with the updates.

Last edited:

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate all of the helpful stories and advice.

I think maybe a tiny bit of progress. But I never know if there are steps backwards too.

The past couple of days I decide to play w whitey’s toys in front of him. And for the first time, his awareness and head movements were similar to a domesticated cat. But...

Last night I did as I’ve done for most of the weeks so far. I tell him I’m going to clean his litter boxes and give him more water and say goodnight.

When I start to clean the litter box closest to his carrier, he starts to hiss. (This did happen one time before) He normally is facing out toward the front of the carrier, but last night he was facing the back. He hisses and turns himself around. I finish and talk softly to him and say goodnight.

When I see him this morning, I see He did not eat his wet or dry food overnight as he usually does. Hopefully he is ok...

I’ve been doing eye blinks. It’s tough to tell if he blinks back because obviously he blinks otherwise. Sometimes he blinks just after. I tell Him everyday that he’s a good boy and I love Him and proud of him. I tell him to rest and go easy and heal.

I will stay the course and remain patient and loving. If anyone has any insight or advice...I’m def all ears. Thanks in advance...

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like he’s eaten all of his treats from last night and some dry food and I see He’s pooped- so maybe he just doesn’t like the wet food and he’s not very hungry. Just seemed like a coincidence that might spell him not feeling well. I’ll give him some wet food that I know He’s liked in the past.

It seems like I wouldnt Have made a good parent. I’m too observant and notice tiny changes. And I worry He’s not well. I want To try and be sure I’m attentive to his needs to keep him well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems like I wouldnt Have made a good parent. I’m too observant and notice tiny changes. And I worry He’s not well.
Bless your heart - I think it depends. Plus your boy is still in a bit of a fragile state :redheartpump: , and additionally you aren't familiar yet with what is normal for him.

I was literally just now chatting with someone that sometimes it can make things a fair bit more challenging when we're so very concerned about our cats.

On the other hand, since cats are so good at hiding illnesses we need to be observant. We just need to ensure that we find the happy medium for ourselves, where we find and utilize ways to create our own balance and serenity :)

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did check the camera and found he has eaten and is doing ok.

You make great points - Im kinda like this w all animals. I put food and water outside for many of the wild animals. And I’m the same way if I notice differences or a shift in nature. Sometimes it’s when females are pregnant or once they’ve given birth or when the babies leave. I usually notice and I’m still concerned. I love animals, truly...

There are many animals I see...one wild turkey I noticed last year was walking tenderly on one foot. One squirrel lost part of its tail. One year one baby raccoon was cranky and I was worried if it was due to illness. In the end, there’s not much I can do for animals in the wild. Here, this guy has been through enough and although he’s not mine, he’s under my care, in some respects so I am trying to make sure I notice changes...

In the end, I love all of nature. I get concerned when I see a tree struggling...I’ve been this way to my earliest memories...it’s just how I’m built. Caring for a wounded wild cat is so beyond my norm...

katzspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well....

I had hoped for better healing of his wounds...

This one on the right side of his neck was always the worst. Tonight, he’s in his carrier in a position to allow me to see sand photograph...

I think the picture says it all but I do see him scratching it on camera...it still looks raw and glistening...

Keep in mind I cannot get close to him or touch him to try and treat the wound...

Can anyone give me some hope????!!!!

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I’m wondering if anyone might give their opinion if I should Try and open the other side of the basement to him that has a window on the door that will provide natural light, or just keep things the same for a while longer or till he gets neutered?

And any opinions on timeline for neutering?
He doesn't seem to be frantic about being in an enclosed space, so I'd leave the door closed for now. As far as neutering goes, the sooner the better. It all depends on how well his neck has healed up. You mentioned that the vet you see is a long way from your home and always quite busy. Is there another vet closer by? One that has experience with feral cats? If you contact local TNR groups they might be able to suggest a feral friendly vet.
The past couple of days I decide to play w whitey’s toys in front of him. And for the first time, his awareness and head movements were similar to a domesticated cat
Great idea! Wand toys can be confusing for some cats if they don't know how to play, but it sounds like he is responding well to the toys you have for him.
He hisses and turns himself around.
Not a bad sign. A hiss just tells you not to get any closer. Some of my semi feral cats hiss at me if I get to close to them when they're taking a nap. He's communicating with you in cat and expecting you to understand him.
It’s tough to tell if he blinks back because obviously he blinks otherwise. Sometimes he blinks just after.
Definitely a good sign! Fearful cats don't blink at all, they just stare at you with eyes wide open and pupils fully dilated. Keep giving him long slow eye blinks. If he doesn't blink back at first keep your eyes closed even longer. For an animal to close their eyes when another animal or person is close by is a huge sign of trust.
Keep in mind I cannot get close to him or touch him to try and treat the wound..
Can you send that photo to your vet? I think they need to see this.
:yeah:

I'm not terribly concerned, as I know he's had antibiotics, but I was hoping to see his wound more healed up by now. I think sending a photo to your vet is a great idea. If you have to take him to the original vet send them an e-mail first of all with all of your questions spelled out on it.

When can he be neutered?
When can he get his blood tests done?
What vaccines has he had?
What vaccines does he need?
Can he have blood tests, neuter surgery and vaccines all in one vet visit?

It sounds like they are very busy, so you don't get chance to talk to them about all of your concerns. Sending them an e-mail first of all and then printing out the e-mail and taking it along as a check list might help you get more things covered next time you go.

You're doing amazingly well! It took me much longer than a few months to get to the stage you're at with some of my feral rescues. I know it seems like three-steps-forward-two-steps-back to you, but you're making great progress with him.