Socializing My New Semi-feral

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet said it would be best to keep her home if possible to reduce stress, but said if she actually stops eating/drinking then I can take her in tomorrow for fluids etc. I think she is eating enough, but I guess I should be more precise in calculating how many calories she is getting... You can tell she wants to eat. It is just so painful for her.

When I offer blended up wet food to her off my fingers she does usually lick it. And she will always eat lickable treats out of the tube. I know they are not the best nutrition but at least it’s something. It’s painstaking and messy but I will of course feed her like that as long as it’s still working. Today I tried a slightly insane idea... blended up her regular wet food with warm water, a bit of mackerel and a bit of lickable treats in the bullet blender to make my own homemade pate. Then I put it in a piping bag and let her lick from the end of that! Lol! It kind of worked but made a mess and she was a bit skeptical. Still, if I can perfect that method, that might be very useful for the future.

Since she is having clear ups and downs, I’m basically free feeding her kibbles and wet food whenever she’s “up” to get as many calories in her as possible. And generally keeping a wide variety of food out all the time, of course. I’m getting home from work soon. Hopefully she will be better than when I left her—this morning was not good.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When you just need to get calories in her, any food including treats are good. So it sounds like she's probably getting enough calories. Give her a hug from me and my Ruby when you get home. :hugs: :hearthrob: :hugs: When is her surgery? Monday?
Yes, Monday. It is Friday night here so not too much longer to go and I am home almost all weekend to take care of her. Hang in there Chai!

Btw, totally off topic, but I saw the photo of Ruby with the blanket for the November contest, and I have to say that cat is so stinkin’ ADORABLE! I hadn’t seen a photo of her before and I just keep looking at it! She is so so cute!! :p

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hang in there. You are doing very well with feeding her as best you can. Yes, when they won't eat, anything is fair game as long as they get something in their belly. I remember having about six cans of cat food opened on the counter as I tried one after the other for a cat that wouldn't eat. I have learned not to freak out with one or two meals that don't go over well, but it is scary -- and you feel so helpless -- when they turn up their nose at food. Your vet sounds very sensible with that advice and nice to know you could take her in if things got worse, but your new pate mix might be the way to go! Keep up the good work and keep us posted when you have a chance!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
es, Monday. It is Friday night here so not too much longer to go and I am home almost all weekend to take care of her. Hang in there Chai!
Yes, hang in there Chai !!! :hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob: :lovecat::hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob:

Btw, totally off topic, but I saw the photo of Ruby with the blanket for the November contest, and I have to say that cat is so stinkin’ ADORABLE! I hadn’t seen a photo of her before and I just keep looking at it! She is so so cute!! :p
Awwww, thanks. I've had her just over 5 years, and she's guesstimated to be about 8 years old. You can see a few more pics of her here: ♥ The ♥ Birthday ♥ Thread ♥

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't know there was a birthday thread! Ruby is so pretty! I didn't realize she had such a sad "beginning" before you adopted her. I love orange kitties and I guess it is unusual to have an orange female. She is one lucky, sweet little cat!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
:yeah: And Chilli with her furry white feet introducing the list is irresistible as well!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't know there was a birthday thread! Ruby is so pretty! I didn't realize she had such a sad "beginning" before you adopted her. I love orange kitties and I guess it is unusual to have an orange female. She is one lucky, sweet little cat!
Yes! There's a Birthday / Gotcha Day thread. :celebrate:

Sometimes I get all teary when I imagine what my poor girl might have gone through while she was a stray. No wonder she shows no interest in going outside the door. :sigh:

Female orange tabbies are supposed rare, but there's actually quite a few here on TCS.
And Chilli with her furry white feet introducing the list is irresistible as well!
Ditto. :catlove:

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So far so good this morning! Chai's been doing very well since I got home from work last night and all through the night. We woke up to the first snow and now both girls are cuddling with me and my coffee on the couch while we watch the snow fall out the window (can you ask for a more ideal Saturday morning??? I sure can't!).

Chai already ate both kibbles and wet food, a little of each, as an early breakfast, so that is GOOD that she has already started the day with food. So far she is doing great this morning. Keep your fingers crossed that she continues to have a good day. Right now she is cuddling and purring right next to me and meowing shamelessly if I stop petting her for five seconds. :) I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before she becomes full lap-cat.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She’s still doing fine and is very cheerful today! Hooray!! I am so relieved! She’s had lots to eat and drink today too. Her last poops were pretty small and hard (probably because she wasn’t eating much, and what she was eating was mostly kibbles) so I’m trying to help her get as much water as possible. Canned mackerel juice mixed with warm water has been a hit so far and she drank plenty of that. I even caught her grooming her paw and chest which is more than I’ve seen in a long time.

Right now she is purring up a storm because Chilli came and plopped down next to HER for the first time ever and she can hardly contain herself!
41C51265-F5BA-4F00-88FB-82CD058C1440.jpeg

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This video is from a while ago but I hadn't had the chance to upload it. Not sure why the sound isn't working.. But I think their facial expressions are hilarious. :lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.