Socializing My New Semi-feral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I hope Chilli is okay! It seems like every time we’re worrying about one of them, another will develop something we worry about.

The skin on Mocha’s back used to twitch repeatedly when I’d reach out slowly to pet her. It still does occasionally. I always do everything slowly with her. Trust is fragile with these little wild ones.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think in the past Lucky got a little scratch on his nose from Ruby swiping at him. Could that sweet little Chai have done that, even with one front paw, trying to get close or play with Chilli? Of course these things have to happen when you are especially busy or otherwise stressed out! On a happier note, your progress with Chai is super-amazing! So glad to hear how well she is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The skin on Mocha’s back used to twitch repeatedly when I’d reach out slowly to pet her. It still does occasionally. I always do everything slowly with her. Trust is fragile with these little wild ones.
Yes, Chai does this too sometimes. Once I pet her for a while it usually stops. For going most or all of her life without kind petting, presumably, I think she’s doing remarkable at accepting the touch.

I think in the past Lucky got a little scratch on his nose from Ruby swiping at him. Could that sweet little Chai have done that, even with one front paw, trying to get close or play with Chilli?
It’s certainly possible! They rarely play with paws except sometimes “footsies” under closet door from either side, so she definitely could’ve snagged Chilli then. I also wonder if Chilli could’ve sniffed something, like a drop of cleaning product on the floor. I admit I haven’t done my research and looked into more pet-friendly household products, though I certainly should as Chilli is so curious and always wants to literally stick her nose in everything.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good news is Chilli’s nose is much better and she’s acting totally fine, but bad news is Chai was NOT doing well when I left for work a short while ago. :(

I have no idea what is wrong. She was acting normal and fine this morning, purring and getting pets and ate at least the kibble part of her breakfast as usual. Then about 30 minutes before I left she just started looking like she felt awful. She was huddled in a little loaf on the rug with her eyes closed or half closed but not resting her head—definitely not regular sleepy relaxing, which she does often. Her body was very tight and curled up. She didn’t want to play, eat wet food or even more kibbles, and seemed really out of it without responding much when I touched or pet her. She did eat treats slowly and sort of watch the toy if I made it jump around, but the look in her eyes is very distant and she seems clearly in pain to me. Her ears and body aren’t hot, so I’m hoping she doesn’t have a fever... She didn’t seem dehydrated to me from pinching her skin but it wouldn’t surprise me if she was. I just cleaned the box and poops and pees were all normal and I know she used it that morning.

I had to leave for work and there is nothing I can do right now... I don’t even have anyone nearby who can check on her. I won’t get home till quite late tonight. I know I’m a worrywart when it comes to my kitties but I’m very worried right now. Especially since I have zero idea what’s going on. I was with her all morning and I know she didn’t eat anything or get into anything weird, she was just hanging out in the living room as normal. :(

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, no! I know how worried you must be. I’ll be thinking about her and hoping she’s feeling better by the time you get home. :alright:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm also thinking of her and sending healing vibes that she'll be back to normal when you get home. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, we are all hoping that she just had a fur ball or something. Please let us know how she is doing after you get home from work and have a chance to post an update. If only they could tell us what's wrong....

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late update. She is hanging in there but not doing well. She has ups and downs throughout the day. Sometimes she purrs and plays but other times (like now) it’s clear she’s suffering from a lot of pain. I talked to the vet and we upped the meds back to twice a day, until the extraction which is in four days. He thinks it is probably toothache pain but said since she isn’t gagging or coughing/sneezing we can just up the meds and wait until the surgery to bring her in. I feel pretty terrible that I didn’t consult the vet earlier to ask about upping the meds... I guess I was just busy and not thinking clearly. :(

She is also not eating well or enough now, except sort of eating lickable foods like treats. Right now I’m going to try blending up her food with some canned mackerel and see if she will lick it as a pate, like I was doing when she first got here.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She also smells HORRENDOUS and is barely grooming herself at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of her teeth was rotting or something. Poor thing.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She wouldn’t eat her mackerel/wet food smoothie (yuck!) out of the bowl or plate, but she would lick food off my hand, so she got something in her at least and also had meds this morning which she usually doesn’t have. She seems slightly better now and meowed at me for a tummy rub. I have to leave for work again but at least I know she’s eaten a little. She’s still in this position on her warm heated floor and resting now.
3CD29C2F-FDEF-4D55-BA56-94C01F6DB900.jpeg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor Chai! Thanks so much for the update. I'm not always the best at commenting, but I have been following this saga and waiting to hear how she is. I hope all is really better once she has her extractions.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. Don't beat yourself up for not contacting the vet sooner about upping the meds. Hard, but let it go and realize how very much you ARE doing for her... lots of love and heated floors, for heavensake!! We are all rooting for a successful surgery and fast recovery for this little girl!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the support. I know it’s only for a few more days and then real action can finally be taken, and hopefully she never feels like this again. It seems there is nothing more I can do right now besides giving her the meds twice a day... but it breaks my heart to see her like this. I know she is surely in unbearable pain. I almost wonder if a vet visit and an injection for pain would be worth it to get her past the weekend. I guess I could ask the vet again if there’s anything else I can do.

For the short periods when she’s feeling good, we’ve had some lovely moments. I can now pick her fully up off the ground for a few seconds and put her back down. She also discovered recently that she likes tummy rubs, which is pretty cute. But it’s very hard to focus on those when she’s suffering. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.