Socializing My New Semi-feral

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor Chai. Can the dental surgery be moved up any earlier?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Chai. Can the dental surgery be moved up any earlier?
Unfortunately not—the vet is traveling this week and I’m extremely busy with work stuff next week. Hopefully she doesn’t have any sort of crisis between now and the surgery! If she seems to keep getting worse I’ll ask the vet whether or not I can bump the steroids back up to twice a day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww... love the picture of them together. :heartshape: Just wait until Chai feels better, and I'm sure she'll become even more lovable than she is now. :hearthrob:

Sending vibes that her teeth don't get any worse during the next 2 weeks.
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Are you able to use cat grooming wipes, or maybe unscented baby wipes, to clean her fur?

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww... what a sweet picture of the girls together! Two weeks until the dental surgery seems like forever, but I'll bet the time will pass quickly and the day will suddenly be here. Does she stay overnight at the vets? Anything special for you to prepare for? I'm sure your vet will provide directions about any post-surgery things you need to do. I know things might get busy but please try to keep us posted! We are all wishing the best for Chai!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you able to use cat grooming wipes, or maybe unscented baby wipes, to clean her fur?
Oh, that's a good idea. I didn't realize cat grooming wipes were a thing. I will look into that.

Does she stay overnight at the vets? Anything special for you to prepare for?
Yes, the vet recommended she stay 3-4 days in recovery at the clinic so he can keep her on painkillers, make sure she's getting enough food and fluids into her, keep her on IV and oxygen if necessary, keep her warm and comfortable, etc. That's another reason the appointment couldn't be moved earlier--they are closed on Sundays, so he recommended surgery on a Monday to give ample time for her recovery. He is a very thorough and careful vet when it comes to this sort of thing, it seems. I also recently learned he specializes in veterinary dentistry, which is perfect! I think she is in good hands.

While I will miss her, I think staying a few days will be better for her, rather than me having to monitor her 24/7 or potentially go back and forth to the vet if she isn't recovering as planned. And if I wanted to visit her during that time I'm sure I'd be able to.

Then, assuming she recovers well, the only hurdle will be making sure the cats still get along after a few days apart.
After that we will hopefully be home free.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today Chai's right ear suddenly started bothering her and now she is holding it slightly lowered and sticking out to one side... which makes her look more awkward and asymmetrical than she already does! ;) She tried to scratch it, which is hard for her because she doesn't have the left front leg to balance on, so I rubbed it for her and she seemed to be thankful. But still seems irritated by it. It looks clean to me and doesn't seem to be painful if I bend, rub, or press on any part of it. I guess it's just itchy. She just had her ears checked and cleaned less than two weeks ago at the vet, so I have no idea. I did do a lot of household cleaning today--scrubbed the bathroom, washed the laundry, deep-cleaned the litter box, cleaned the floors, etc--and I wondered if it could be a mild allergy to any of the cleaning products wafting around in the air.

I'm just keeping an eye on her for now. Meanwhile Chilli ate and threw up a piece of plastic this morning, so she's also being closely monitored. Lol! When it rains, it pours, I guess! It's just one thing after another over here :doh:

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention a pretty encouraging milestone for Chai. Yesterday I accidentally kicked her as she was underfoot--of course, I felt like the worst person in the world! :( She looked at me with HUGE terrified eyes and immediately ran to hide. I assumed this was a pretty big setback that might take a while for her to recover from. However, about 5 hours later by the time she came out for her dinner, she was pretty much none the worse for wear. I can still pet her and interact with her just the same as before. She is slightly more cautious when I am walking near her, but if Chilli is nearby she doesn't pay me any attention at all.

Every day, I see small improvements with her confidence and trust. Every day presents some new opportunity that she hasn't faced before--being pet in a different way, a different spot on her body, with me in a different body position, at a different location in the house, etc--and each time, though she occasionally looks nervous, she faces her fears and usually ends up melting into happy purring kitty. Good girl!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is it with cats always being underfoot and trying to trip their humans? I've certainly tripped over Ruby more than once. Glad Chai had no lingering anxiety from the incident.

Fingers crossed her ear gets better, and that Chilli vomited up all the plastic. :crossfingers:

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today I successfully lifted her front half off the ground for the first time! I just lifted her briefly and immediately set her back down on her feet (well, technically, her foot. ;) ). She didn't have any reaction at all and continued purring and rubbing on me as she was before. Good girl! We will keep practicing the lifting and holding her up for longer and longer periods of time.

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've read this entire thread and think this is great. I wanted to share with you what I went through with my cat Sammy.
My husband and I went to Petsmart and adopted a cat. We were told she was a socialized feral kitten and was 20 weeks old. My husband fell in love with her and we took her right then and there. We brought her home and everything has been going great.
Fast forward 7 years. Sammy was chasing my daughter's hamster in it's ball. She tried to bite it and got her tooth caught. she started pawing at her face and we noticed that her upper canine tooth broke off. Called the vet and made an appointment for her to make sure the tooth was completely broke and no roots or anything was exposed and that she wasn't at risk for infection.
Get a call and was told to come and get Sammy. Dr comes in and tells me that Sammy has a jaw/tooth condition. For whatever reason her teeth are deteriorating from the jaw up. The roots of the teeth are going first and that's why her canine ripped out. He shows me x-ray and tells me the best coarse of action is removing all her teeth.
I agree and we schedule an appointment for her. She goes in and stays for a couple days. She comes home with pain meds. We put her in the smallest bedroom of our home and get her wet kitten food to speed healing. We go in and spend time with her while this is going on.
She spent a couple weeks in there healing. Once we go to the vet for a follow up to make sure everything healed and all looks good. She came out of the room. At first I was worried that she would be traumatized and hide. Not so. She's even more energetic.
She eats normal kibble. I use Nature's Balance chicken. It's pretty small bite size kibble. Word of advice, don't fill the bowl all the way because you'll find it all over the floor. Piles of it lol. She pushes it with her mouth and scoops it up. Every night she comes running for her Temptation treats with the other cats that they get before I go to bed. She has actually gained weight!!! The only thing I noticed is that sometimes we need to brush her because she can't get her back too well. Other than that she's perfect in every way and is thriving.
On another note it's really strange when she gums us lol
I hope this helps a little.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what I love about this site! People sharing similar adventures and reassuring others. It is so nice to read Sammy's story and hear about her really positive outcome. I'm sure Chai will also be fine after her surgery and recovery! I had no idea how well cats can do without teeth!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Angel7472 Angel7472 Aww, thank you so much for sharing Sammy’s story! It’s always very comforting to hear things like this! :heartshape: I wish Chai didn’t have to go through all the pain and stress of it, but it seems like what’s best for her in the long run.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now that it’s getting colder and I’ve started turning on the heated floors, both cats’ favorite napping spot is under the coffee table. It’s got to be super warm and cozy. I wish I could fit under there too, lol! I might have to spoil them and put a couple cat blankets down for maximum comfort. :)
6E1FE816-B8DC-46DA-8982-E745E5109E2A.jpeg

DAB2B014-28C2-4DA4-89AD-ACD3EA85847E.jpeg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Heated floors??? My three cats and I may come live with you! I had a heated bathroom floor in the house when I lived in Utah and it was heavenly!

One of the sanctuary kitties went in this week to have a tooth pulled and ended up having all but four taken out. Poor little girl. :( They brought her back yesterday, and I was there for my volunteer stint today. Her little face and mouth were swollen and she kept licking her lips, but when I came into the room (they have her in the farm house in a back bedroom while she’s recuperating), she was curled up in the sun on the bed. I sat down next to her and she climbed into my lap and just purred her little heart out. I must have sat with her in my lap 15 or 20 minutes, and she purred the whole time while I gently petted her. It’s hard to see them in pain, but I know she’ll be fine—and she’ll feel better and be healthier. And so will Chai.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heated floors??? My three cats and I may come live with you! I had a heated bathroom floor in the house when I lived in Utah and it was heavenly!
Me and Ruby too. ;)
Here in Korea it’s the most common form of heating, and yes, it is definitely heavenly! Nothing like coming home after a freezing cold day and immediately collapsing onto the rug with the cats ;) I’m also going to invest in an electric heating pad for the bed this winter, too... I don’t think I or the cats will ever get up on the weekends!

Tobermory Tobermory awww, sorry to hear about your sanctuary kitty. Hopefully she heals up just fine. She sounds so sweet, and so cute that she was purring. I think cats/dogs/pets in general, when they are hurting, can understand and receive our sympathy better than we think. And give us sympathy when we are hurting, too, of course. Now that Chai trusts me a good amount, I hope she will be able to receive some comfort too when she’s recovering.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here in Korea it’s the most common form of heating, and yes, it is definitely heavenly! Nothing like coming home after a freezing cold day and immediately collapsing onto the rug with the cats ;) I’m also going to invest in an electric heating pad for the bed this winter, too... I don’t think I or the cats will ever get up on the weekends!
Heated floors are somewhat common in newer homes in Canada, but not the older ones. I certainly would love it, as my feet are always cold. :cold:

I have to share this photo I took the other day, it’s hilarious to me—it pretty much encapsulates their relationship :lol:
Love it !!! :lol:

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chai has been so lovable and cute the past few days. As soon as she wakes up, she’s ready for pets. Basically she is ALWAYS recipient to pets and will start purring within 10 seconds of touching her. This morning she came while I was in bed to get her pets (with Chilli out of sight downstairs, even!).

Recently I’ve been practicing touching her while she’s sleepy or curled up, as she still occasionally tenses up if a hand approaches when she’s sleeping. Today she did great though and after a few minutes of practicing, withdrawing and then extending the hand from all directions and touching her, she basically snoozed again and let me do whatever I want. I’m still celebrating the tiny steps!! :)

Some cute photos:
455A0785-DB90-43C4-BA11-06AA4F543A06.jpeg

C6A8EA0C-FCC2-4314-9ED4-27608FE49660.jpeg

On another note, send positive vibes for Chilli—she’s managed to scrape/scratch (?), or perhaps burn? or somehow otherwise hurt her little nose. :( I think it’s a tiny wound versus some kind of infection or sickness, but I could be wrong. Of course she does it now, when I have a very long work week ahead that I absolutely cannot take time off of... If it starts getting worse or looking infected, it’ll have to be the emergency vet after-hours, as I’ll be at work during the office hours of my main vet. Fingers crossed I don’t have to take her in (and pay the exorbitant ER vet bills!). I think it looks better than yesterday, but maybe that’s just my wishful thinking. She’s acting totally fine, other than getting mildly annoyed at me anxiously shining a flashlight in her face every 30 minutes to check on her nose. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.