Skin and bones very friendly and active ginger. Advice please🙏🏻

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, can someone explain or direct me to the instructions on how to post a video on site? I started a thread on this sweetie in Caring for Strays & Ferals. He showed up a couple of weeks ago and would let me sit right next to him and even hold the bowl while he ate but I didn't try to touch him until last Fri when I reached over without thinking and stroked his back. I almost had a heart attack, he is skin and bones! I immediately upped the wet food from Friskies to Fancy Feast. He does this odd action I'd like to show a video of. After he eats he will open his mouth like something's caught and then licks his paw and wipes his face and mouth.
20240324_192451.jpg
20240324_190341.jpg
20240324_192411.jpg
20240324_190035.jpg
20240324_190225.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ginger cat could have food stuck in between teeth or maybe some toothaches and that's why he's opens his mouth and paws his mouth.

You can feed him with some KMR milk replacer to boost his nutrients intake. He is probably being chased off by hoomans or other cats and is weary and thus his behavior.

Can you built a box or get a box and make it comfortable for him so that he has a nice place to stay with our Gypsy going near him? You may take care of him a s an outdoor cat and I guess he has some other place to get food but if you can get him food on a regular basis would be good for him and work with him till you are able to get him to the vet for neutering and checks.

You have to see how often he'll come around and whether he stays longer or not to have a better idea on how to help him.

Please keep us updated.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, can someone explain or direct me to the instructions on how to post a video on site? I started a thread on this sweetie in Caring for Strays & Ferals. He showed up a couple of weeks ago and would let me sit right next to him and even hold the bowl while he ate but I didn't try to touch him until last Fri when I reached over without thinking and stroked his back. I almost had a heart attack, he is skin and bones! I immediately upped the wet food from Friskies to Fancy Feast. He does this odd action I'd like to show a video of. After he eats he will open his mouth like something's caught and then licks his paw and wipes his face and mouth. View attachment 472999View attachment 473000View attachment 473001View attachment 473002View attachment 473003
He's absolutely beautiful- what a sweetheart ( of course Im very partial to orange boys- the sweetest babies imo)

Are you going to bring him in? HE IS IRRESISTABLE!

It can simply be the Flehman reaction but I'd not say without seeing a video because it can be a symptom of a couple of conditions ( like TMJ disorder) - is his ability to eat inpaired? Is it only AFTER eating ? In case I miss your video I'd appreciate tagging me ,if that's okay

You did say he's skin n bones and I'd imagine eating and smelling the delicious FF is triggering the scent organs in the roof of his mouth and he's just taking it all in as much as he can- I hope so,I'm anxious to see.....

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, can someone explain or direct me to the instructions on how to post a video on site? I started a thread on this sweetie in Caring for Strays & Ferals. He showed up a couple of weeks ago and would let me sit right next to him and even hold the bowl while he ate but I didn't try to touch him until last Fri when I reached over without thinking and stroked his back. I almost had a heart attack, he is skin and bones! I immediately upped the wet food from Friskies to Fancy Feast. He does this odd action I'd like to show a video of. After he eats he will open his mouth like something's caught and then licks his paw and wipes his face and mouth. View attachment 472999View attachment 473000View attachment 473001View attachment 473002View attachment 473003
Miss Eleanor, our former TNR cat, does something akin to that when she is done eating, and believe me, she has absolutely no trouble eating. None of the others has done that- at least as far as I have ever seen.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Miss Eleanor, our former TNR cat, does something akin to that when she is done eating, and believe me, she has absolutely no trouble eating. None of the others has done that- at least as far as I have ever seen.
My Timmy never had wet food in 6 yrs before I took over caring for him ,he was very underweight and malnourished- when he starting eating FF he just couldn't get enough of the strange new smell and he'd do the same thing ( Fehman response) and then sit there with his tongue out( adorable).... he doesn't do it anymore only he still sticks his tongue out when hes got a full belly .Though it isn't common it's not unusual either when they want more of unfamiliar scents or a scent (& taste)they want more of......

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
He is so beautiful,I'd imagine from the looks of him hes a little up in age so he may have some missing teeth or cracked teeth and he feels food stuck....but really sounds like he's like my Cheech was and Timmy is- after eating the first thing they do is wash their face and mouth ( both were in good health,no teeth issues just very fussy about having clean faces it seemed,lol) Only way to be sure is a Vet check

Have you considered containment? Is the only reason you don't want to bring him in is for guaranteeing and then gradual introduction to your Gypsy?You mentioned you have no place for isolation so a large portable cage( even 2x4 by 5 ft high) works quite well- a tarp covering the lower half ......

I had no place to transition my Timmy(F1,age 7) 9 months ago with 4 residents - an enclosure worked wonderfully and now he's one of the family

He looks like my Cheech( rip) I'da snatched him up in a minute❤
20170707_061834.jpg

Had to show you Cheech

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGosh! He is absolutely beautiful!! I would take him, in a heartbeat...
I am no expert; but, I think the behavior you are describing could possibly be due to needing some dental work. Or it could just be a quirk of his.
He looks so much like my Geoffrey... or even Artie.. Such a sweet face, inquisitive face.

I bet someone just 'dumped' him. Would not be surprised if it was due to needing some medical/dental work.. I would grab him!
:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I am no expert; but, I think the behavior you are describing could possibly be due to needing some dental work. Or it could just be a quirk of his.
He looks so much like my Geoffrey... or even Artie.. Such a sweet face, inquisitive face.

I bet someone just 'dumped' him. Would not be surprised if it was due to needing some medical/dental work.. I would grab him!
:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:
You and me both artiemom artiemom - he's gorgeous ,a real PRIZE that one is🥰

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

Oh yes dental is what I thought too. Did you check out his story in Caring for strays and ferals? I would bring him in a heartbeat but I have no place to keep him away from Gypsy overnight til I could get him checked out. I'm going to try to set up a place for him to hopefully sleep but there's really no good place outside for that either. Waiting to hear from APL about maybe someone could catch and keep him overnite. APL will check him for chip & do a vet check. He's eating, any idea why he's skin & bones? Maybe some disease?

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
He is so beautiful,I'd imagine from the looks of him hes a little up in age so he may have some missing teeth or cracked teeth and he feels food stuck....but really sounds like he's like my Cheech was and Timmy is- after eating the first thing they do is wash their face and mouth ( both were in good health,no teeth issues just very fussy about having clean faces it seemed,lol) Only way to be sure is a Vet check

Have you considered containment? Is the only reason you don't want to bring him in is for guaranteeing and then gradual introduction to your Gypsy?You mentioned you have no place for isolation so a large portable cage( even 2x4 by 5 ft high) works quite well- a tarp covering the lower half ......

I had no place to transition my Timmy(F1,age 7) 9 months ago with 4 residents - an enclosure worked wonderfully and now he's one of the family

He looks like my Cheech( rip) I'da snatched him up in a minute❤View attachment 473013
Had to show you Cheech
Cheech is beautiful, I'm worried about freaking Gypsy out and fleas and if the reason he's skin and bones is deasise. I'm going to try a paper coller with my phone number to see if someone else is doing anything with him flea and wormwise. 😽

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheech is beautiful, I'm worried about freaking Gypsy out and fleas and if the reason he's skin and bones is deasise. I'm going to try a paper coller with my phone number to see if someone else is doing anything with him flea and wormwise. 😽
Yes,I thought he was the most beautiful boy in the world-I miss him terribly

That's a fabulous idea-I had Timmy on Revolution Plus way before capture & transitioning him to insids and when I got him to the Vet he was parasite free...

Good plan and you can get him on parasite control ,fatten him up in the meantime if no one calls . You won't freak Gypsy out ,if you do decide to bring him in you'll go about it the right way and you'll have plenty of options,suggestions and great ideas to make it work..... if not perhaps you have a no kill shelter locally so someone might hit the jackpot and give that wonderful boy a forever home ---- I'm sure he's sweet as honey ❤

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger cat could have food stuck in between teeth or maybe some toothaches and that's why he's opens his mouth and paws his mouth.

You can feed him with some KMR milk replacer to boost his nutrients intake. He is probably being chased off by hoomans or other cats and is weary and thus his behavior.

Can you built a box or get a box and make it comfortable for him so that he has a nice place to stay with our Gypsy going near him? You may take care of him a s an outdoor cat and I guess he has some other place to get food but if you can get him food on a regular basis would be good for him and work with him till you are able to get him to the vet for neutering and checks.

You have to see how often he'll come around and whether he stays longer or not to have a better idea on how to help him.

Please keep us updated.
So far it's every night, I'll get the KMR today. I'm going to try and create a place for him to sleep today but there's not really a good place to set one up outside. I'm reaching out to APL about maybe one of their rescuers keeping him overnight for me so I can get him checked out since he only shows up near dark, sometimes he comes earlier. I really think he wants to come in, breaks my heart. I'll not give up on him. Can you tell if a male cat has been neutered or not? I finally kinda got a look last night and think there's a small sac.
20240325_113205.jpg
20240325_113223.jpg
20240325_113236.jpg

I have never felt anything skin and bones before, don't know how he has the energy he does. He lets me pet his head back & tail.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So far it's every night, I'll get the KMR today. I'm going to try and create a place for him to sleep today but there's not really a good place to set one up outside. I'm reaching out to APL about maybe one of their rescuers keeping him overnight for me so I can get him checked out since he only shows up near dark, sometimes he comes earlier. I really think he wants to come in, breaks my heart. I'll not give up on him. Can you tell if a male cat has been neutered or not? I finally kinda got a look last night and think there's a small sac.View attachment 473027
I have never felt anything skin and bones before, don't know how he has the energy he does. He lets me pet his head back & tail.
It's hard to tell as the photo is not very clear. It does look like small sacs but if he is not neutered, the sac should be bigger than that looking at the size of him and he should be more than a year old.

Ya, check with the local rescues and see if they can help.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 to upload a video you need to have it saved on your device.

Go to MEDIA at the top of the homepage and then select YOUR MEDIA. You can either add the video to an existing album or start a new one. You'll see the yellow ADD MEDIA tab at the top right of the page.

Another way you can do it is to share the media using Google Drive. Once the video file is saved to Google you need to select SHARE on the far right. It will give you the option to change SHARE from Restricted to Anyone with the link. Then you click the tab to copy the link and you can post the link here.

:)

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 to upload a video you need to have it saved on your device.

Go to MEDIA at the top of the homepage and then select YOUR MEDIA. You can either add the video to an existing album or start a new one. You'll see the yellow ADD MEDIA tab at the top right of the page.

Another way you can do it is to share the media using Google Drive. Once the video file is saved to Google you need to select SHARE on the far right. It will give you the option to change SHARE from Restricted to Anyone with the link. Then you click the tab to copy the link and you can post the link here.

:)
:thanks::rock::touched:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Latest update: Our mailman was able to tell me where OC, lives just up the alley a block. He says he is an old cat and that there is a heated house on their porch with food & water out. I would love to knock on their door to ask about teeth, flea and worming but Gypsys dad says I shouldn't. As long as he comes by I'll feed him ff and Tabbytoms suggestion of the KMR. And post his pictures on the orange cat thread.:heartshape: