Sign of early spring

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so! Early spring sounds pretty nice right now. It's 6° and will be close to that for at least 48 hours...then a major snowstorm at the end of the week. Boo!!!!! [emoji]128530[/emoji][emoji]128567[/emoji][emoji]127788[/emoji][emoji]9731[/emoji][emoji]127784[/emoji]

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, that is beautiful. What kind of caterpillar is that? 

No signs of spring here, we're knee deep in snow.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it will be an early spring.. I am not sure though

Last Friday, I thought I saw either a robin or a cardinal in the back yard.

We got our first real snowfall Sunday night, and are expecting a Nor'Easter over the week-end. We are in the 'snow' pattern now. 

It is 15 degrees at 6:45AM......

BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
Monarchs are also supposed to be caterpillars in Mexico. I think I've seen a couple of the caterpillars in my life. I don't know how he got to my garage door (I've decided he's a boy)...

I think it's southern Mexico. They go to the same trees they were born in, I think.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's a Monarch caterpillar? I always wondered what they look like. Very cute IMO.
I hope he does OK regards finding food at this time of year.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

here's the other picture. The reason I think it's creepy is because it's clear he knows I'm there! Ahhh!!!!

I'll bet he's brightly colored because he's either poisonous or tastes bad. So the birds don't eat him.
He's just saying hello to you! :wavey:

You're probably right or they have evolved that way to make birds and other possible predators just think that they are poisonous or taste bad.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monarchs are toxic due to the milkweed they eat. So they need to have caution colors so birds know to avoid them :tongue2:.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's like this: Monarch butterfly caterpillars feed on milkweed. They incorporate the glucoside into their body, and retain it when they become butterflies. Any bird - say a bluejay - that eats an adult monarch becomes so nauseated that they vomit. And never eats another Monarch again. Tough on the individual, excellent for the species.

The interesting detail is that Viceroy butterflies - which do not feed on milkweed - have a similar color and pattern to Monarchs as adult butterflies. Which mimicry gains them protection from butterfly-eating birds.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a Robin for you!!! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]
Well if I can't get an early spring; this is definitely the best consolation prize possible. 

Monarchs are also supposed to be caterpillars in Mexico. I think I've seen a couple of the caterpillars in my life. I don't know how he got to my garage door (I've decided he's a boy)...

I think it's southern Mexico. They go to the same trees they were born in, I think.
One of my friends had some in her yard last year.  She got video of them "hatching."  (I can't think of the proper term!)  Right now I just can't remember if its my friend in Southern Tennessee or Central Texas. Apparently I can't think straight because of the impending snowpacolypse. (Anything over 3" and no I don't live in the south.
)  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
I totally forgot. A few months ago, I ran into a neighbor from down the street coming across my next-door neighbor's yard. She was planting milkweed for the butterflies. I did not realize that milkweed was monarch food. The next-door neighbors have little kids, and I'm sure they love seeing the butterflies.

But it is definitely the wrong time of the year.

The jade plants have buds, and will flower soon. I was surprised when they flowered in February a few years back--it's getting earlier every year.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The interesting detail is that Viceroy butterflies - which do not feed on milkweed - have a similar color and pattern to Monarchs as adult butterflies. Which mimicry gains them protection from butterfly-eating birds.
Clever of the viceroys! I'm sure I've gotten those two mixed up quite a few times. There was one year when everyone noticed how few monarchs they'd seen. I finally saw one in Fall, but I bet it was a viceroy. I worry about the decline of the bees and butterflies. :(