Sick Elder Cat

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just signed up on this site today and I've got a huge problem.My elder Russian blue has had 2 seizures,1 yesterday and 1 today.He's also completely blind in both eyes and the clinic I went to take him yesterday said he most likely has a brain tumor. I want to get him cremated asap but I don't have the money to pay for it right now. On Monday I tried to apply for care credit but I was denied because I don't have a credit card history.
I basically want to know what should I do if he passes at home. I'm terrified right now I don't know how much longer he'll be able to last.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so very, very sorry. I'm going to give you a link that might give you some direction in getting help.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

You might also consider starting a crowdfunding campaign. GoFundMe comes to mind, but there are others out there. If you do that, you can post a link to it in our S.O.S. forum.

Now, you will want to know exactly how much the euthanization and cremation will cost, you will want to plan what you are going to say carefully, and state the need clearly. Tell people a bit about your cat, how much he means to you, what has happened, and what the vet said.

Be sure to post your campaign on ALL social media you belong to.

If you link it in the S.O.S. column here, a moderator is going to post a warning about looking into requests for money. That is NOTHING against you, it is done with EVERY request, and has to do with the legalities involved in a large site like this. Don't let that throw you at all.

My heart with yours during this heartbreaking time.

A candle lit for you both.

00LitCandle.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just had another seizure in my view.I feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown, can't stop crying....

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are going thru this. And I feel awful for writing what I'm about to write, I hope it doesn't come across as cold and uncaring.
So, this sounds bad, but if he passes at home, you could freeze him until you can bring him in for cremation. Wrap him in a towel, and place him in a box, that he just fits in, and tape it shut. If you think it will be a while before cremation is a possibility, I would also wrap him in plastic and tape that as well, before placing him in the box. If he passes, be sure to "fold" him up (legs, tail) like if he was sleeping before rigor mortis sets in. We, unfortunately, did not, and it was a struggle, both physically and emotionally, as we tried to get him in the only box we had that would fit him.
Out cat passed at home over a weekend, so that is what we did until we could get him to our vet to be cremated. Although, we placed him in the cold storage, not the freezer, but it was March, so it was colder than if it was summer.

Again, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this, I pray for a peaceful end.
:alright:

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Jem,if it comes to that I'll try my best to put him in the fridge.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad bought more cat litter,I just cleaned and put cat litter deodorizer in the litter box and he still hasn't gone to use it.Not sure why.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he still eating and drinking?

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah he's eating and drinking just fine. I think the litter box I currently have might be too tall for him to use.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That might be true. You can get a large roasting pan from the store and cut down one side of it for him. If that does the trick, then you can cut down his actual box. LOTS of older cats need that done.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Baby shady just went to the bathroom to go pee, I'm relieved that's one less thing I have to worry about.Not looking forward to giving him up on the 16th...

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course not. He is your babycat, and you love him. You are doing one of the most loving, unselfish things a human can do. You are putting the needs of your beloved cat above your own need to have him with you.

If it is any comfort at all, seizures are not painful, although they are disorienting. I know that they look painful, but they are not.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just had 2 seizures today,nearly back to back.So angry! The animal shelters and vet clinics I've called for the last few days
weren't able to help me. I'd hoped I'd be able to get him euthanized and cremated and they would hold his ashes until I would be able to pay but I didn't have much luck. The ones I called said they can't do that which is extremely frustrating I'm tired of seeing my baby suffer!

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have another update on baby shady: he's still having seizures sometimes 2 in a day but other than that he's doing fine for now. Thankfully I've finally been able to stop crying after he has a seizure. Unfortunately I have to wait until the near end of this month to pay for him to be euthanized and cremated because the second time I put up a gofundme I didn't get any donations,I was pretty pissed off at the time but I'm over it.Btw he is peeing and pooping just not in the litter box.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got yet another update on baby shady,he just had another seizure today at 3:06 this morning
went to check on him and I saw a little blood on the kitchen floor when I looked closer I realized he'd bitten his tongue.I cleaned him up as best as I could but he won't let me see in his mouth yet I want to see if his tongue is ok but I know that his tongue is probably still sore.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His tongue is fine, but he still hasn't used the litter box and tonight he didn't eat his food.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He hasn't eaten since yesterday morning and he hasn't eaten today,and he still hasn't used the litter box what should I do?

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the last update at least for a while baby shady hasn't eaten in 2 days so I've decided to Euthanize and cremate him today.