Sick Cat Picking At Her Fur

catluvrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been losing weight for a while. Main complaint is diarrhea but all tests negative so far. However I've noticed that she picks at her fur with her teeth and leaves small clumps of fur behind. Seems very strange. Anyone else notice this behavior?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat is experiencing this health problem. If all tests have come back negative so far maybe it could be an allergy of some sort? Has your vet mentioned anything about her diet or environment?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Has the vet talked about food sensitivity? Have you tried a change of food? Is she getting canned food?

Is she still eating? Maybe there's something in this that could help, because she may be getting dehydrated and she's losing nutrients with the diarrhea, so you'll want to supplement for example with goat milk;

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Also, if you decide to try avoiding an ingredient to see if that makes a difference
This could be useful;

Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

Also, if her skin is raw, this can help;
From mamanyt1953
use a wash of chilled chamomile tea. The nice thing about this is that is it antibacterial, anti fungal, and amazingly soothing for ALL skin irritations. Buy the tea bags from your grocer's coffee/tea aisle, and make sure it is ONLY chamomile, no blends (that will be right on the main label). I recommend the commercial bags because they are ALWAYS made with German Chamomile, and the English variety that is common in gardens is toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and apply to any irritated areas with a clean cotton ball or similar.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Any new news? I went back and read your thread about her weight loss (Three Year Weight Loss). How is she doing - still eating/drinking/playing/using the litter box OK?

Is she still on Pred? Did you ever get follow up testing done as the vet wanted? If nothing this vet has done has helped, have you considered getting a copy of all her records and consulting with a second vet (from an entirely different practice)?

Has the vet prescribed anything for the diarrhea, or suggested home remedies like canned pumpkin (no additives), Metamucil, etc. - just to help bulk up her stool? Any discussion, as mentioned by other members above, about changing her food to see if it is related to an allergy or something in the current food that just doesn't agree with her digestive tract - or, that could be helpful with the possible IBD?

The picking at her hair with her teeth might be totally unrelated. Occasionally, Feeby (15+ yo) does this, and I have never figured out why. It doesn't happen daily, that I know of, and I don't see bald spots as a result of it, so I am not overly concerned about it.

Last edited: