Sick Cat, Not Confident In Vet's Care, Need Reassurance

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I'm posting here because I don't know where else to turn and want to hear other opinions. I apologize in advance for how long this post is going to be.

Two of our cats are currently sick, main symptom is vomiting. Our first cat, Sophie, suddenly started vomiting Saturday afternoon and continued into the morning for a total of 7 times. Once all the food had been vomited out, she started vomiting clear liquid, then pink liquid, which we knew was blood. We've had them for a year and she's never been sick before. Hearing her pained meows and seeing her body heave made me want to cry. She had no appetite. We brought her to the vet first thing in the morning.

They took x-rays and saw that she was very constipated and noticed a gas pocket but no obstruction. We left her there for an enema, they redid x-rays after, poop was all gone but gas pocket was still there. They recommended we take her home and monitor her, administer sucralfate 2x/daily, and they seemed to think that she would be all right.

We were so happy to take her home. At that point we thought everything would be ok. She didn't seem to want to eat much wet food so we gave her a few bits of her favorite kibble and a small amount of the Inaba puree creamy cat treat. Whatever she would eat. She lounged on her cat tree and we thought she was ok. Less than an hour later she vomited everything back up. We were worried but decided to let her sleep, thinking she needed more rest. She's a very timid cat and I know she was beyond stressed and terrified to have had to stay at the vet's all afternoon. The next morning she seemed a bit better so we tried to entice her to eat by giving a little bit of tuna per the vet's recommendation. She must've had less than 1/2 a teaspoon of tuna and within 5 minutes she cried and threw up again.

We brought her in to see the vet again that afternoon. They repeated x-rays, saw 2 gas pockets, and recommended leaving her for half the day. They gave fluids, anti-nausea injection, zantac, IV and catheter. She refused to eat while she was there so they recommended we bring her home with the catheter and try to get her to eat something so we can monitor her response. We brought the poor girl home and she wasn't very active. Slept mostly, but didn't seem to be comfortable most of the time. We put her in the litter box once to pee but otherwise she didn't seem to want to use it. We noticed her trembling a bit a couple of times during the night and she would make a sort of groaning sound when we picked her up, which to us indicated that she was in pain.

At that point her sister Marcie had started throwing up as well, first food then liquid. At that point we were thinking that perhaps they caught a virus, parasite, some sort of infection, etc., because what are the odds that both cats would get sick? We decided to bring Marcie in together with Sophie in the morning (they insisted on charging an extra $50 for Marcie's visit as they considered it an "emergency fee" since we didn't have an appointment set up in advance for her...but that's a whole other thing). Marcie threw up a total of 5 times but unlike Sophie, is currently fairly energetic and still has an appetite. Her x-ray was completely normal. They gave her anti-nausea injection and advised taking her home and giving her bland food. The problem is that Marcie is an incredibly picky eater and doesn't like boiled chicken, baby food, etc., so we are currently figuring out how we can get her to eat. Sophie's x-rays showed that the gas pockets are mostly in the stomach and intestine now. They are administering fluids again, anti-nausea, and will force-feed her if she still refuses food, which I think she will. I know the stress of being in an unfamiliar environment with strangers will make it hard for her to eat. But at this point it's been 3 days of no food and she has to eat. They said they will consider an ultrasound if Sophie isn't much better after today and still doesn't have an appetite.

My sister and I are not feeling very confident leaving Sophie in their care right now. It's been 3 days, our balance is close to $1500 at this point, and there have been no real results. I have called out of work 2 days in a row to get all this done. They didn't do a fecal exam nor any bloodwork - we requested that they do it so now they are going to send it out. I had actually requested they send out Sophie's fecal sample yesterday, which they forgot to do (I'm very irritated by that), so they are going to send it out today with Marcie's sample. They don't seem to think it's a parasite but is it normal for a vet to not want to do a fecal test or bloodwork when a cat presents with these symptoms? We picked them because they were highly recommended and we know a lot of rescue groups use them for cat care as well.

My sister and I just feel so completely frustrated right now. It's costing us a lot of money to do this but that's not even the real issue. Our concern is subjecting Sophie to all this stress and trauma when we're not even sure what they're doing is effective. My heart hurts to look at Sophie and see her scared face and hear her scared meows. I know she is completely terrified and miserable being in that big cage at the vet's all by herself. I'm sorry for this extremely long post but can anyone reassure me that the vets are doing the right thing?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your worries are valid. It doesn't sound like the vets are doing anything to find out what the real underlying issue is. They're just trying to treat the symptoms. Would you be able to take the cats to a different vet? Make sure to get all your records though, especially about the gas pockets.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I totally agree with kittyluv387 kittyluv387 ; you need to consult another vet - with the current records/test results.

Could there be something wrong with the food they are currently eating - new batch that is tainted? I only ask because of both of them getting sick.

Hopefully, the fecal samples - which should have been done without you asking for it - might identify the issue and therefore determine a proper resolution. How long will it be before the fecal tests and blood work results are available? You might to wait until they are before consulting another vet. They could provide a wealth of information.

So sorry that is dragging out and putting undue stress on both your cats, especially Sophie, not to mention you and your sister.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think your worries are valid. It doesn't sound like the vets are doing anything to find out what the real underlying issue is. They're just trying to treat the symptoms. Would you be able to take the cats to a different vet? Make sure to get all your records though, especially about the gas pockets.
Hi. I totally agree with kittyluv387 kittyluv387 ; you need to consult another vet - with the current records/test results.

Could there be something wrong with the food they are currently eating - new batch that is tainted? I only ask because of both of them getting sick.

Hopefully, the fecal samples - which should have been done without you asking for it - might identify the issue and therefore determine a proper resolution. How long will it be before the fecal tests and blood work results are available? You might to wait until they are before consulting another vet. They could provide a wealth of information.

So sorry that is dragging out and putting undue stress on both your cats, especially Sophie, not to mention you and your sister.
Thank you both. They said the fecal results should be back by tomorrow, I will ask later about the bloodwork. I will be infuriated if it turns out the samples weren't sent out again.

I don't think it's the food because our third cat is in good health (and we pray he stays healthy). And kittyluv387 kittyluv387 , one of the vets said straight out that they are only treating the symptoms because that's all they can do right now. She said even if they have an infection of some sort they have no way of finding out what the exact infection is??? That didn't make any sense to us. We will be doing research on the vets in the area and look for a second opinion after getting the fecal exams back, if the current vets continue in the same manner.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rescue groups don't typically pick vets based on expertise - some vets volunteer for rescue groups or give them a discount; rescue groups may prefer more of a generalist vet because they deal with many different sorts of animals; all kinds of things like that.

Your best bet, if possible, would be a clinic or veterinary practice that specializes in cats. And kittyluv387 kittyluv387 is right, insist on getting all of your cats' records. They may charge a fee for copying them, which is reasonable, but at least in the U.S. they can't legally withhold them.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She said even if they have an infection of some sort they have no way of finding out what the exact infection is??? That didn't make any sense to us.
It didn't make any sense to you because it doesn't make sense, period. This is what blood tests are for. Everything you say just makes it more obvious that you need a different vet.

In the meantime, I'd be going to the pet food store and picking up some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer). Both your sick kitties should consider it to be a sort of comfort food, and because kittens grow so fast it's very high in calories, which is what they need right now. Another option, if it's available, is goat's milk, preferably raw. And you can spread a little honey on the inside of a cat's lip - it should be absorbed directly into the bloodstream without the cat even having to swallow it, and will give them at least some calories. Also, you can learn how to give subcutaneous fluids at home rather than having to take Sophie in and leave her at the vet for that.

Margret

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would seek a second opinion. But as others have mentioned, be sure you get the results from the current vet.

Please don't take this as blame on your part, as I have been guilty of similar things simply out of ignorance but...
Have you recently brought something into the home that could be a danger to the cats? With the holidays around the corner, poinsettias and other plants are toxic to cats. Also, I find the use of essential oils and diffusers are on the rise by many people, and most oils are toxic to cats as well. I only suggest this as you have 2 kitties who are sick so close together.
Do your cats go outside at all?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to second kittyluv387 kittyluv387 I think another vet is a good idea.

I have a couple possibly really stupid questions but since it's both cats:

1. Any poinsettia in the house?
2. Any new plant at all for the matter?
3. Any renovations - anything they could have gotten into?
4. Do they go outside?
5. New food?

Edit to add: Seems Jem Jem and I are thinking something similar here.

What also makes no sense is if they felt an infection was possible - did they give you anti-biotics?

Last edited:

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you recommend the kitten milk replacer even if they're 1.5 years old?

Our second cat Marcie is still energetic and has her appetite but doesn't want to eat the bland food prescribed at all. I boiled and chopped up some chicken and got baby food for her but of course she has no interest in it. I can tell she's hungry though. She prefers junk food and it's always been a struggle to entice her to eat healthier food.

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem and F FeralHearts :

I think they gave an ampicillin injection to Sophie but I will need to confirm that when I go back to pick her up. No antibiotics were given though.

Both cats are indoor only. We've been racking our memory and trying to think if there's anything new that we brought in, but we really haven't. We're pretty careful about plants. The last plant I brought in was a Wandering Jew months ago that I specifically checked to make sure would be non-toxic. We keep all plants on a sill behind the kitchen sink and the cats have no interest in going there, especially Sophie. Sophie has no interest in eating anything that isn't her food or treats and she doesn't jump onto any of the kitchen counters either, so we know we can rule out the plants.

I used to have essential oils but I stopped using them as soon as we adopted the cats and threw them away. We even switched to vinegar and water mixture to clean the apartment to reduce the chemicals they're exposed to. The only thing I can think of is the lotions we've always used on our bodies and faces. But the cats don't lick our skin either?

It's just confusing to us that Sophie would be the one so sick. Honestly out of all the cats, she is the most well-behaved. She doesn't go anywhere she shouldn't, doesn't try to eat inedible items around the house, etc. etc. She is the sweetest little thing and never gets into any kind of trouble.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem and F FeralHearts :

I think they gave an ampicillin injection to Sophie but I will need to confirm that when I go back to pick her up. No antibiotics were given though.
That's actually good as it's a broad range antibiotic. The injection might be one of those long lasting ones. So that's something. If they had suspected a possible infection and did nothing I'd have thought they were real idiots.

Jem Jem and F FeralHearts
Both cats are indoor only. We've been racking our memory and trying to think if there's anything new that we brought in, but we really haven't. We're pretty careful about plants. The last plant I brought in was a Wandering Jew months ago that I specifically checked to make sure would be non-toxic. We keep all plants on a sill behind the kitchen sink and the cats have no interest in going there, especially Sophie. Sophie has no interest in eating anything that isn't her food or treats and she doesn't jump onto any of the kitchen counters either, so we know we can rule out the plants.

I used to have essential oils but I stopped using them as soon as we adopted the cats and threw them away. We even switched to vinegar and water mixture to clean the apartment to reduce the chemicals they're exposed to. The only thing I can think of is the lotions we've always used on our bodies and faces. But the cats don't lick our skin either?

It's just confusing to us that Sophie would be the one so sick. Honestly out of all the cats, she is the most well-behaved. She doesn't go anywhere she shouldn't, doesn't try to eat inedible items around the house, etc. etc. She is the sweetest little thing and never gets into any kind of trouble.
Hmm well in a way this is good - it rules out a lot of things. It does leave a mystery as to what the helk is going on though.

No construction? Nothing weird they could have breathed in from something like that?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not to say that this is a solution, just a question of another thing to consider.

Did they eat any holiday foods? Sage and other herbs can cause stomach upsets. If you used it in cooking then gave kits some of that food it could have triggered this bout. I've noticed it takes cats' insides awhile to settle down after an upset.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you recommend the kitten milk replacer even if they're 1.5 years old?
Just because it's meant for kittens doesn't mean it's harmful for adults, any more than baby formula is harmful for an adult human. In a situation where a cat isn't eating, for whatever reason, KMR has exactly what the cat needs - calories. Lots and lots of delicious calories! (♪♫ "Food, glorious food!" ♫♪) For a cat, especially one who's still fairly young, this should definitely count as comfort food, which means that even a picky eater should be willing to drink it, and, most importantly, it should protect them from getting fatty liver disease from not eating while you're waiting for a proper diagnosis and fix.

Margret

Last edited:

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's actually good as it's a broad range antibiotic. The injection might be one of those long lasting ones. So that's something. If they had suspected a possible infection and did nothing I'd have thought they were real idiots.

Hmm well in a way this is good - it rules out a lot of things. It does leave a mystery as to what the helk is going on though.

No construction? Nothing weird they could have breathed in from something like that?
Omg I just checked the invoice we paid today and no ampicillin or any other antibiotic was given yesterday. They had said they might give it to her but it looks like they changed their mind. I will find out if they gave it to her today and demands to know why if they opted against it.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg I just checked the invoice we paid today and no ampicillin or any other antibiotic was given yesterday. They had said they might give it to her but it looks like they changed their mind. I will find out if they gave it to her today and demands to know why if they opted against it.
Oh dear.

Yup if they suspected an infection I'd want to know why there were no antibiotics given - are they concerned with something else if they were to give them antibiotics - if not - then wow. Why not? That would be my question to them - or another vet really.

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just because it's meant for kittens doesn't mean it's harmful for adults, and in a situation where a cat isn't eating, for whatever reason, it has exactly what the cat needs - calories. Lots and lots of delicious calories! (♪♫ "Food, glorious food!" ♪♫) For a cat, especially one who's still fairly young, this should definitely count as comfort food; it should be easier for them to eat; and, most importantly, it should protect them from getting fatty liver disease from not eating while you're waiting for a proper diagnosis and fix.

Margret
Great, thank you. I'm going to hurry to the nearest pet shop before they close and but some.

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear.

Yup if they suspected an infection I'd want to know why there were no antibiotics given - are they concerned with something else if they were to give them antibiotics - if not - then wow. Why not? That would be my question to them - or another vet really.
They didn't think it was an infection at first, they thought it more likely she had some sort of obstruction from eating something in the house, as she's a young cat. X-rays did not detect anything. They've been considering an ultrasound for the past 2 days but each time we've gone back they've decided to hold back on it.

Now that our second cat started throwing up, they're more willing to consider an infection as a cause.

Sophie has seen a different vet each day we've taken her in, which we're not too happy about because we would like a little consistency and not having to explain our cat's habits each time.

K Kflowers : we didn't do any holiday cooking actually but did give them a small amount of pumpkin with their regular food, which is the first time they've had it. We don't think the pumpkin could have been the issue though. Nevertheless, you're right, we're losing trust with this clinic and its hard to feel that they care very much about our cat. We are researching other vets now.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Juat before you panic because I realize you are at the end of your tether and justly so, pumpkin pie filler has nutmeg in it, but a quick google says in small amounts it shouldn't be a problem. On the whole you want to avoid it as you would the whipped cream on top of the pie.

On the other hand pumpkin that isn't for pies and is plain pumpkin is supposed to be soothing for digestive upsets. I never had a cat who would touch it.