Cat proofing an open stairwell

NYCatMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings! My partner and I could use your collective help thinking through how to cat-proof a home we are moving into this summer!

We have two kittens (9 months old). We currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment. We are moving, in 2.5 months, to a house that has three floors. There is an open stairwell from the third floor to the first floor - approximately a 30 foot drop. We are not so concerned about them getting through the balusters - we are are mainly concerned about them falling off the third or second floor banister. We will be renting the home so we're looking for ideas/solutions that do not require permanent changes to the stairs (so screws can't be used).

Additionally: if anyone knows of a "cat proofing consultant" or professional we could contact for virtual advice, please let us know!

Attaching a photo of both the kitties and the stairwell!

Attachments

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be over-thinking this. If your cats were babies rather than adolescents it might be a matter of concern. I think they'll be fine. Our stairs are open, no risers except the flight down into the basement. Himself made a cat walk, which Domino enjoys. In fact he chases his tail underneath it.

Cats_2020-09_Domino on catwalk.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am having trouble understanding the actual layout. But, I am guessing you need something to expand across the upper area to the other side of the opening? Without using screws. your options become much more limited. I suppose you could use strong netting that you could cut to make ties that wrap around each stair rail, stretched across to the other stair rail to be tied to the rails there as well. The only part that is the open piece with no railings, you could use Command strips to secure it in place. Doesn't mean the cats won't use it as their own trampoline though.

You might want to do as you suggested and consult a carpenter/handyman to start with. Or, look up on the internet different ways that might be some options to work out a slightly altered plan not using screws - such as this one.
Cat Barrier for Stairs | DIY Stairway Safety for Cats (catastrophicreations.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NYCatMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am having trouble understanding the actual layout. But, I am guessing you need something to expand across the upper area to the other side of the opening? Without using screws. your options become much more limited. I suppose you could use strong netting that you could cut to make ties that wrap around each stair rail, stretched across to the other stair rail to be tied to the rails there as well. The only part that is the open piece with no railings, you could use Command strips to secure it in place. Doesn't mean the cats won't use it as their own trampoline though.

You might want to do as you suggested and consult a carpenter/handyman to start with. Or, look up on the internet different ways that might be some options to work out a slightly altered plan not using screws - such as this one.
Cat Barrier for Stairs | DIY Stairway Safety for Cats (catastrophicreations.com)
Thank you for these helpful suggestions! In terms of the layout, there are three floors. There's a staircase between the first floor and the second floor as well as the second floor and the third floor. Each staircase has a landing. You're seeing the stairwell in this image from the vantage point of the third floor looking down all the way to the first floor. We are concerned that the cats will jump on the railings (both the horizontal and slanted railings) and fall down through the stairwell.. we were considering some kind of netting, but it seems tricky without screws.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can use zip/cable ties to secure the netting instead of screws to the stairway banister and spindles.

I'm not sure if 3M Command strips with hooks would work to secure netting to the wall above the banister or even to the ceiling so the netting could be secured to the top of the banister.

Check out pet netting, balcony railing netting or even child resistant netting for stairways.

There are a couple threads on TCS that member's show what they did though some of them involved screwing stuff to walls and banisters which I understand won't work for your situation as a renter.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can use zip/cable ties to secure the netting instead of screws to the stairway banister and spindles.

I'm not sure if 3M Command strips with hooks would work to secure netting to the wall above the banister or even to the ceiling so the netting could be secured to the top of the banister.

Check out pet netting, balcony railing netting or even child resistant netting for stairways.

There are a couple threads on TCS that member's show what they did though some of them involved screwing stuff to walls and banisters which I understand won't work for your situation as a renter.
Zipties would be what I would try. They're very sturdy and are easy to remove.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Search mesh safety net for railing and you should find a lot of baby proofing items that may help.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
N NYCatMom , I just took a better view at your stairway pic and reread that it's a 30 foot drop from the top floor to the 1st floor. You might be better off securing the netting to the balusters to 'catch' any cats that might fall into the opening at each floor level. It would require less netting than hanging it vertically at each floor.

Just picture the safety net used by acrobats to catch them if/when they fall.