Sick Cat, Not Confident In Vet's Care, Need Reassurance

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well as I said, I'm super happy that they are feeling better. They are all quite beautiful by the way. Perfect little faces!!!!
I assume that you'll be hunting for a new vet for future endeavors??? If so, good luck, and I hope you find a good one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crazily enough, they didn't. I sat at home and googled everything myself. I don't know if maybe they thought the medications are so common and side effects so unlikely that they didn't think it was important to mention it. They gave us Cerenia, mirtazapine, and amoxicillin. When she was there, they also gave her another kind of antibiotic and zantac.

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well as I said, I'm super happy that they are feeling better. They are all quite beautiful by the way. Perfect little faces!!!!
I assume that you'll be hunting for a new vet for future endeavors??? If so, good luck, and I hope you find a good one.
Thank you!!! Yes we're going to search for a new vet. It's a shame because they're the only vet in the area with both late hours and open 7 days a week.

Thanks once again to everyone for having the patience to sit and listen to me through all this. Can't thank you enough! Love that this community is there for each other and is so compassionate :redheartpump:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very glad they're feeling better, but:
We fought to get Sophie to accept her medication for the first 2 days but thankfully she seemed much better after that and we felt comfortable stopping the medication.
Stopping the medication when the patient seems to be better is fine with some drugs, and not with others. Antibiotics, in particular, need to all be taken. If the patient doesn't complete a full course of antibiotics it results in the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria, and this is true even if it eventually turns out that the antibiotic was unnecessary.

Have you ever seen the marvelous movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy"? Remember the sweet little bushman with the unpronounceable name who was the star of the movie? He (the actor, not the character) died of tuberculosis because he would take his medications until he felt better and then quit. He was hospitalized numerous times; he was warned about it; and still he wouldn't finish off his antibiotics. And early one morning he went off into the desert to gather firewood and never came home again. His father-in-law went out looking for him and found his body.

Margret

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very glad they're feeling better, but:

Stopping the medication when the patient seems to be better is fine with some drugs, and not with others. Antibiotics, in particular, need to all be taken. If the patient doesn't complete a full course of antibiotics it results in the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria, and this is true even if it eventually turns out that the antibiotic was unnecessary.

Have you ever seen the marvelous movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy"? Remember the sweet little bushman with the unpronounceable name who was the star of the movie? He (the actor, not the character) died of tuberculosis because he would take his medications until he felt better and then quit. He was hospitalized numerous times; he was warned about it; and still he wouldn't finish off his antibiotics. And early one morning he went off into the desert to gather firewood and never came home again. His father-in-law went out looking for him and found his body.

Margret
I somehow completely missed this reply!!! Sorry about that. We actually didn't start the antibiotics (amoxicillin) in her case. The only antibiotics Sophie received were the ones the vet injected (I don't remember the name off the top of my head but it was a different one). The vet wanted us to wait until she had more food in her stomach - by the time Sophie did have more food in her stomach she seemed to be completely ok, so we chose not to administer it. It seemed like the vet prescribed amoxicillin only because I said it didn't seem like Sophie was improving yet and they weren't sure what was causing her illness so they thought it may just be a bacterial infection.

It's been a month since their vet visits and they all seem perfectly happy and healthy again, I can't be more thrilled.

Thank you everyone! Hope you are all enjoying the holidays!