Sick After Visiting Vet

ancientsanskrit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In TX, but will always be a Michigan-boy.
I posted about three weeks ago about nail clippings and visiting the vet. (Visiting Vet After Several Years

Anyway, Enzo is a 9-year old (indoors only) always been healthy cat. After going to the vet for rabies and distemper my mother noted weakness/loss of appetite. This persisted for about five days and I just took him to the vet today.

Weight Loss: He's lost about a pound or 12% body weight (he's a small guy at 9.7 lbs)

Labs: CBC and organ function test came up fairly normal. Only abnormal lab values were Bun (low at .14mg/dl) and Globulin levels (5.4g/dl).

Physical Assessment: Vet didn't feel any abnormalities upon physical assessment. He noted a small (I don't know if you'd call it a nodule) in his throat. T4 levels show fairly normal, but vet seems to think it may be hyperthyroidism starting to manifest.

Our plan of action is to put him on antibiotics Zeniquin 25mg and keep a look for the next two weeks. If no improvements, vet think it's time to do a T3 test.

My issue is I'm in CA and cats and mom are in TX. We will follow the regimen for the next two weeks but are there any other battery of tests or thoughts out there? I just find it hard to believe that hyperthyroidism would have manifested this quickly and his T4 levels are perfectly normal. Three weeks ago, he was just fine. I'm on the side of some sort of adverse reaction to the immunizations.

Thoughts/Suggestions are much appreciated.

Linda Dwyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with you, probably the vaccinations. Its not good to over vaccinate animals. I do just core shots, one booster and the dreaded rabies (most powerful shot) because its law. Immunity lasts a lot longer than you think and if you are in doubt do a titer test. And I never ever do more than one shot at a time, its to much a hit on their immune system. No combo shots, one thing at a time and then only what's absolutely necessary

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's easy to speculate, but hard to prove. I would definitely have them put something in his chart about the timing of everything, in case it is related, and if it were me I WOULD do the titer test next time (if you were ever comtemplating a next time).

This could also just be something he had brewing and it just happened to peak at that time. Kind of like when you have a plumber out to fix something and the very next day something else breaks. They seem related, yet aren't.

Let's just hope the antibiotic nips it in the bud and he gets back to his old self :vibes: