Should I Adopt This Feral?

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I am working at university campus. Since last month I saw 5 cute kittens running around in front of my work place. I have never seen the mom with them. I noticed that they only are fed by a guy every other day or so which is so little for the kittens at this age (now they are almost 4 months old). I started to feed them since two weeks ago twice a day. They are so scared of cars and human. Int he beginning they were all so scared of me but since I feed them one of them (a tuxedo one) is starting to be so friendly to me. He even let me pet him and comes to me and licks my hand and rubes his head to my hand. When I call him he comes to me usually mostly when he is hungry and starts meowing. I also play with him every day and he purrs when playing. He so is such an adorable kitten and I am in love with him already. I am pretty sure they have no owner and the mom left them. all other 4 kittens are still scared of me kind of and only eat when I make 1 step back. I am wondering should I trap this 1 kitten and adopt him since he is already friendly with me? I am so worried fir these kittens because I cannot feed them in the weekends since I'm traveling. Also in the winter they might have a tough life. Another problem is I don't have any house and can only keep him indoors.
Please if any of you have experience help me. I also have another cat which is a 1.5 year old persian and eventually I need to introduce them if I take the feral kitten. How will this work?

Thank you very much.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
"scared of cars and human"
That is actually a good thing. Two things that can do them harm are cars and humans.

I would say most definitely you should take the cat in. There are a couple of ways to socialize a cat, you could crate it or use what is referred to as a "safe room". I think the "safe room" is better because it gives the cat more space but if you don't have a room available you can use a crate.

You will want to keep the new cat isolated from your existing cat until you get the new cat tested for diseases. You are doing a great thing and it would be horrible if it backfired on you and your existing cat caught a disease.

A "safe room" is a place for the cat to feel safe. You want to make sure it is cat proofed and nowhere for the cat to hide so you can keep an eye on it.

Do you have a room available, even a bathroom or a large closet?

As for introducing them there is a good article on here for introducing a new cat.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Post back if you have a room available and people can give you the appropriate advice. I used an empty office in the building I work at so it doesn't even have to be where you live. Just a room that you can visit the cat frequently to work on socializing it.

In addition to that you should see if there are cat rescue people local to you to deal with the remaining cats. Where I live there are cat rescue people that will assist, well they will assist if they are not already overwhelmed.
The following is a link to the site for the people local to me to give you an idea of what I mean.
Cat Rescue Network

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Thanks a lot for replying.
Well, me and my boyfriend live in different cities and my cat lives with my boyfriend.
I live in a studio which is almost 30 square meters, My bf place is a 1 bedroom which is 70 square meter.
My plan is to (if possible) keep the new kitten in my place until he is used to inside and to me and then move him to my bf to his bedroom until he can get used to my cat.
I have a few concerns:
1. if the feral kitten can be at all adopted to such small indoor place (70 m2 apartment) or he will want to escape out.
2. I he gets along at all with my cat which is a different breed (Persian).
3. If i take one kitten maybe the siblings get scared and will leave and have no food to survive.
Regarding the animal shelters, I have talked to the local shelter in my city but they said since they are feral cats they don't take them because they will never get used to human and even if we take them they escape. I think this is common in Germany that shelters won't get the ferals. but they said they will trap them to do vaccination and castration and release them again.
Another thing to add: the place they are currently living is kind of safe because there are no wild animals and its a nice area because its on campus but they won't get food very often and in winter I have no idea if they can find a shelter.

Considering all this things, I am still doubtful if this is the best decision that I take the kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should take the kitten in and see how things go for a few months. Over time, things will probably work out! :)

Can you trap the other 3 kittens and take them to a local no-kill shelter where they will be spayed, neutered, vaccinated, and adopted out?

They face a very tough future otherwise. You'll need to begin feeding them inside a have a heart trap without setting it for awhile in order to catch them.

Thank you for feeding the kittens. Can someone feed them for you on weekends and when you travel for now?

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Your apartment could be used as a big safe room but you would have to cat proof it. I am guessing that would be somewhat impossible. Would have to clear off all shelves so nothing to break. Would have to make sure nowhere for the cat to hide so you can keep an eye on it. You could use your bathroom if that is practical. If not, there is nothing wrong with using a crate to do it. You won't need much space for crate socializing. I have no experience with crate socializing but you could post a new question titled "Need advice on crate socializing".

Nobody can tell you and be 100% certain the two cats will get along. They are living creatures with personalities and can be somewhat unpredictable. Chances are if you take your time and introduce them slowly they will get a long. I have two American Wirehair and two Maine Coon cats and they all get along. I think it has more to do with individual personality than breed.

The article I pointed out in my first post is a really good article for introducing cats.

I was not referring to animal shelters. Never take a feral cat to an animal shelter as they are likely to euthanize it because they don't have the time to socialize them. I was referring to independent people or groups of people that will help cats that the animal shelters will not. You can post on here to see if anyone knows of people local to you as well as search the Internet for "cat rescue" and the place you live. I would guess it would be best to do the search in German if you are in Germany.

Living outside they stand a greater chance of getting hit by a car or some cruel person gets to them eventually. They are also at greater risk of getting infections and diseases. You feel they are safe where they are but you have to admit it is nowhere near as safe as living inside and having a steady care giver.

Dolores_82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's so nice of you that you feed the cats but if I were you I would think twice before you take this kitten to your home..As you said this kitten lives already outside and u want to keep the cat inside? U have a big yard?
I'm not a fan of indoor cats at all.sorry... Is there no animal club or association at your university who can take care of these cats?

My husband and me also feed feral cats in the neighborhood but we would never take them to our home but we and some other friends of us built some nice shelters for them. It worked out perfect and the cats are so happy! Sometimes I think we as human being always think we know it better and we can decide what's best for animals...Just try to watch them for a little longer and get some support!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
@smhsn1981

P.S. I meant to add the following to my last post.

From what you put in your original post.
"He even let me pet him and comes to me and licks my hand and rubes his head to my hand. When I call him he comes to me usually mostly when he is hungry and starts meowing. I also play with him every day and he purrs when playing."

The cat seems like you already have it most of the way to being socialized and it wouldn't take you long. It took me about 3 weeks to pet the one feral cat I rescued and close to a month and a half to pet the other cat. If you are already able to pet it that is a huge step forward. Playing with the cat is another huge step forward. If you had to crate the cat I don't think it would take long.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so nice of you that you feed the cats but if I were you I would think twice before you take this kitten to your home..As you said this kitten lives already outside and u want to keep the cat inside? U have a big yard?
I'm not a fan of indoor cats at all.sorry... Is there no animal club or association at your university who can take care of these cats?

My husband and me also feed feral cats in the neighborhood but we would never take them to our home but we and some other friends of us built some nice shelters for them. It worked out perfect and the cats are so happy! Sometimes I think we as human being always think we know it better and we can decide what's best for animals...Just try to watch them for a little longer and get some support!
"I'm not a fan of indoor cats at all.sorry"

Are you serious? My vet and the Humane Society where I live would chastise you big time for that comment. When I trapped Rusty and Kitty and brought them inside they both had URI and eye infections they would have never gotten living inside. Of course I took them to my vet and got the URI and eye infections taken care of. All my cats are indoor-only and free of diseases. If I left them outside how long until they get a disease? One year, two years or maybe never. Living in my house the answer is simple, never!

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should take the kitten in and see how things go for a few months. Over time, things will probably work out! :)

Can you trap the other 3 kittens and take them to a local no-kill shelter where they will be spayed, neutered, vaccinated, and adopted out?

They face a very tough future otherwise. You'll need to begin feeding them inside a have a heart trap without setting it for awhile in order to catch them.

Thank you for feeding the kittens. Can someone feed them for you on weekends and when you travel for now?
I don't think I can trap the other 4 kittens because they are so afraid of me still, but this one should be ok (I hope so) I can just lure him into a cat carrier by playing with him or putting food there,
The shelter said they will take the cats when they become 6 month old and castrate them and give them vaccines and release them back

I have some friends who agreed to feed them in the weekends depending on their availability but sometimes it does not work :( but for now I decided to stay around for the next 4 weeks.

Last edited:

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your apartment could be used as a big safe room but you would have to cat proof it. I am guessing that would be somewhat impossible. Would have to clear off all shelves so nothing to break. Would have to make sure nowhere for the cat to hide so you can keep an eye on it. You could use your bathroom if that is practical. If not, there is nothing wrong with using a crate to do it. You won't need much space for crate socializing. I have no experience with crate socializing but you could post a new question titled "Need advice on crate socializing".

Nobody can tell you and be 100% certain the two cats will get along. They are living creatures with personalities and can be somewhat unpredictable. Chances are if you take your time and introduce them slowly they will get a long. I have two American Wirehair and two Maine Coon cats and they all get along. I think it has more to do with individual personality than breed.

The article I pointed out in my first post is a really good article for introducing cats.

I was not referring to animal shelters. Never take a feral cat to an animal shelter as they are likely to euthanize it because they don't have the time to socialize them. I was referring to independent people or groups of people that will help cats that the animal shelters will not. You can post on here to see if anyone knows of people local to you as well as search the Internet for "cat rescue" and the place you live. I would guess it would be best to do the search in German if you are in Germany.

Living outside they stand a greater chance of getting hit by a car or some cruel person gets to them eventually. They are also at greater risk of getting infections and diseases. You feel they are safe where they are but you have to admit it is nowhere near as safe as living inside and having a steady care giver.
My apartment is pretty cat proof already, there is no under the bed or behind the closet everything is pretty much sealed and i even cat proof the wires because my cat was 2 months at my apartment before we moved him to my boyfriend.
Unfortunately, here is no such cat rescues in this area but as I said the shelter will take care of the castration and vaccination of other cats when they become 6 month old, they honestly said they cannot take the cats because they can't socialize them so it's better they stay in nature and find their own survival.
I agree outside life is terrible for them and that's why I don't want this baby to stay outside because I really love him.
I have one more question: Will the ferals use the sand for their toilet or I have to train him?

Thanks

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@smhsn1981

P.S. I meant to add the following to my last post.

From what you put in your original post.
"He even let me pet him and comes to me and licks my hand and rubes his head to my hand. When I call him he comes to me usually mostly when he is hungry and starts meowing. I also play with him every day and he purrs when playing."

The cat seems like you already have it most of the way to being socialized and it wouldn't take you long. It took me about 3 weeks to pet the one feral cat I rescued and close to a month and a half to pet the other cat. If you are already able to pet it that is a huge step forward. Playing with the cat is another huge step forward. If you had to crate the cat I don't think it would take long.
Yes he is totally friendly, I never saw him hissing or growling, he even bites my finger but still he doesn't like that I touch his belly, and when I suddenly stand up he is a little scared, but he comes to me quite often rubs his head to my hand and sniffs my finger and lick it, he is really sweet, I think everybody would love him, I hope he won't change his behavior when I trap him. I'm afraid the new environment makes him so scared that he becomes unfriendly again.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
My apartment is pretty cat proof already, there is no under the bed or behind the closet everything is pretty much sealed and i even cat proof the wires because my cat was 2 months at my apartment before we moved him to my boyfriend.
Unfortunately, here is no such cat rescues in this area but as I said the shelter will take care of the castration and vaccination of other cats when they become 6 month old, they honestly said they cannot take the cats because they can't socialize them so it's better they stay in nature and find their own survival.
I agree outside life is terrible for them and that's why I don't want this baby to stay outside because I really love him.
I have one more question: Will the ferals use the sand for their toilet or I have to train him?

Thanks
If you can't get assistance from local people then your best option would be to get them spayed and neutered then release them back to where they came from. You can only do so much on your own. And it makes sense the shelter won't take them because they don't have the time and space to socialize them.

From what you have described I think it would be ok if you make your apartment the safe room. Besides it sounds like the cat is half way to being socialized. Being able to pet it and play with it is a really good thing. If you find it plays rough, when it gets rough say "ouch" and pull your hand away. With time the kitty will learn, both of my cats learned to play nice using that method.

Cats naturally want to bury their waste. The first night I had them inside my two cats used blankets I had on the floor instead of the litter. I moved the litter to where the blankets were and removed the blankets. They have used the litter ever since. The cat may not take to litter right away so you can try mixing soil into it if they don't use it. The soil would be familiar as they are likely burying their waste in soil now. If they pee or poop outside the box scoop it up and put it in the litter so it puts their scent in the litter. You will want to clean the area if they pee or poop outside the litter box because they will smell it and continue to use that spot.

There are some good articles on here regarding litter.

16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)

The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

You can also search through the Caring for Strays and Ferals and Cat Behavior forums for people addressing litter problems if you run into a litter problem.

I really wish you had more help where you live. It is sad you have to leave them outside because they are young cats and it wouldn't be overly difficult to socialize the rest of them. I don't blame you and I don't blame your local shelter, in fact I don't blame anyone, it is just sad.

Trapping him and taking him inside will have some affect and he could get stressed a bit by it. Take your time and don't feel guilty or get stressed out. Especially don't let it stress you out, I know it sounds crazy but chances are the cat will pick up on your stress and it will make it harder. Be patient and don't let guilt get to you. There is nothing to feel guilty about you are rescuing that cat from what would be a shorter life span and a harder life living outside. If I had to choose between living outside or living on your couch I would pick your couch every single time. If the cat knew better I bet it would pick your couch every time as well.

Last edited:

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can't get assistance from local people then your best option would be to get them spayed and neutered then release them back to where they came from. You can only do so much on your own. And it makes sense the shelter won't take them because they don't have the time and space to socialize them.

From what you have described I think it would be ok if you make your apartment the safe room. Besides it sounds like the cat is half way to being socialized. Being able to pet it and play with it is a really good thing. If you find it plays rough, when it gets rough say "ouch" and pull your hand away. With time the kitty will learn, both of my cats learned to play nice using that method.

Cats naturally want to bury their waste. The first night I had them inside my two cats used blankets I had on the floor instead of the litter. I moved the litter to where the blankets were and removed the blankets. They have used the litter ever since. The cat may not take to litter right away so you can try mixing soil into it if they don't use it. The soil would be familiar as they are likely burying their waste in soil now. If they pee or poop outside the box scoop it up and put it in the litter so it puts their scent in the litter. You will want to clean the area if they pee or poop outside the litter box because they will smell it and continue to use that spot.

There are some good articles on here regarding litter.

16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)

The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

You can also search through the Caring for Strays and Ferals and Cat Behavior forums for people addressing litter problems if you run into a litter problem.

I really wish you had more help where you live. It is sad you have to leave them outside because they are young cats and it wouldn't be overly difficult to socialize the rest of them. I don't blame you and I don't blame your local shelter, in fact I don't blame anyone, it is just sad.

Trapping him and taking him inside will have some affect and he could get stressed a bit by it. Take your time and don't feel guilty or get stressed out. Especially don't let it stress you out, I know it sounds crazy but chances are the cat will pick up on your stress and it will make it harder. Be patient and don't let guilt get to you. There is nothing to feel guilty about you are rescuing that cat from what would be a shorter life span and a harder life living outside. If I had to choose between living outside or living on your couch I would pick your couch every single time. If the cat knew better I bet it would pick your couch every time as well.
Thanks for info.
I finally decided to take the kitten in.
Should I arrange to take the kitten directly to the vet or should I let him settle down a bit at home and then take him to the vet ?
And also, is it better to trap him at night or during day light?

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for info.
I finally decided to take the kitten in.
Should I arrange to take the kitten directly to the vet or should I let him settle down a bit at home and then take him to the vet ?
And also, is it better to trap him at night or during day light?
I think it would be best to put it in a carrier during the day and then direct to the vet. Seeing you can play with it do you think you could lure it into a carrier with food?

Because you are uprooting it you should do the vet and the move to your place in one swoop. That way it is one traumatic trip and then the cat can try to relax. Plus the vet can check for fleas because you don't want to be taking those home with the cat. The cat is going to get stressed out because it won't be used to being confined. Be prepared to ignore the guilt because you are likely going to feel bad for the cat as it is not going to like what you are doing to it. Don't let it stress you out and take your time because you don't want to rush things and stress the cat out.

Make sure the vet knows the cat is from the outdoors and not fully tamed. You don't want it to bite the vet or a vet assistant so if they know it is not a typical house cat they can handle it appropriately.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have befriended and then trapped strays for many years now. When they are on their way to the vet I always get a little sick to my stomach from stress, even this many years later. You have to harden yourself against the guilt and pity that goes with situations like this, because it TRULY is better for the cat and is so much better in the long run. My neutered boys no longer get beat up by the toms, and the girls no longer bring me endless litters of kittens. it is well worth our trouble. Those poor tom cats always have wounds and abscesses, it's terrible. I always tried to get them to feed at the same time so it was a lot easier to trap them. They are curious and usually walk up to a carrier so a shove is usually all it takes or put some food in the back. You only get one chance to get them in a carrier, they are VERY leery after that. I agree strongly with the post above, put a note RIGHT ON THE CARRIER that the cat is partially wild and may bite, I just saw an article in Cat Fancy that even after telling them a technician got bit and the cat was held for weeks to check for rabies. It almost died from the stress and quit eating. All the luck.

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
good news is the kitten is now 100% tamed to me already.
Today I played with him a lot and he let me pick him up a few times.
While playing he also scratched my hand and I am now a bit worried to get disease, although he looks a very healthy cat, his fur is shiny and he is very clean he has no fleas.
Most probably I take the cat tomorrow, however the vets are not free until Monday and I have to wait to take him to vet.
The other problem is my boyfriend kind of refused to help me and does not want the kitten at his place :(. So, I am trying to either convince him or find some people who adopt the kitten after a while because my own apartment would probably be so small for him. I am really sad if I have to let him go :(

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so worried by what you guys say, I am afraid the vet questions me why I took this kitten or they think I stole it, o they may keep him there :( or they might refuse to check him because he is feral??
Its really hard situation and I don't have much help, but I really wanna do this

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
good news is the kitten is now 100% tamed to me already.
Today I played with him a lot and he let me pick him up a few times.
While playing he also scratched my hand and I am now a bit worried to get disease, although he looks a very healthy cat, his fur is shiny and he is very clean he has no fleas.
Most probably I take the cat tomorrow, however the vets are not free until Monday and I have to wait to take him to vet.
The other problem is my boyfriend kind of refused to help me and does not want the kitten at his place :(. So, I am trying to either convince him or find some people who adopt the kitten after a while because my own apartment would probably be so small for him. I am really sad if I have to let him go :(
You are not likely to get a disease from a cat scratch. Seeing it is in the city limits on a university campus it is not likely to have rabies. You should put something like Polysporin on the scratch to prevent infection.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets won't treat ferals, so it's best to call ahead and ask if they do. And let them know so they can wear gloves. I don't think they will think you stole it, since it probably doesn't have an owner or a microchip.