Should I Adopt This Feral?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since the kitten is so friendly it is no longer feral. It is just a stray. That's all you have to say.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he friendly to just you though? I still have to tell the vet that my cats are feral, because they act feral towards all strangers and will bite and scratch if a stranger touches them or picks them up.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The baby is already at my place, he was so confused and still does not know what is going on, he hided behind a box, he is so sweet he had not even try to fight to get out of box he just made very soft meowed, I am really doubtfull if he is feral, he is so sweet, he purres alot although he is sad now, and he purres when I approach him or touch him, Please help any advice is appreciated,

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other problem is my boyfriend kind of refused to help me and does not want the kitten at his place :(.

my own apartment would probably be so small for him.

I am really sad if I have to let him go :(
Don't be sad; finding a boyfriend who likes cats and doesn't refuse to help you won't be that difficult.

;)

Cats can live very happily in small apartments. Aside from the essentials, they need only Love, and Love can find its way into the tiniest crevice.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's so cute. You're doing great if you can already touch him and he's not biting and scratching you. What do you need help with? We're happy to help you.

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's so cute. You're doing great if you can already touch him and he's not biting and scratching you. What do you need help with? We're happy to help you.
Thanks for replying,
He looks so sad, I don't know how to make him happy, I already gave him food and he ate it all very fast, but he hides all the time behind the box and sometimes he meows, Is this normal that he hides ?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's normal that he's scared and hiding. Are you still able to pet him? Do you have any toys for him? The ones on a pole would work great.

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's normal that he's scared and hiding. Are you still able to pet him? Do you have any toys for him? The ones on a pole would work great.
Yes he is purring when I pet him and he likes it, I have a pole toy with feather I tried to play with him but he won't

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten does not have any clue at all about the litter box, He was looking alot in the morning for a place to pee an he was meowing for help, But he finally peed on the couch :(, i tried to show him with my hand I dont know if he will learn

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When he goes outside the box, soak a small piece of paper towel in his urine and put it in the litter box.

Also, try adding some soil and/or grass (from the university if possible) to the top of the litter for awhile.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very great advice here, I have nothing to add on how to trap or take care of the ferals cause I have no expierence with that. What I do have expierence with is a persian cat and, I have to say it does worry me to think of a very docile, gentle persian together with a high-energy feral in a small apartment. It could all go very well and they could love eachother, but I these are cats with almost opposite temperaments. I wouldn't let say a persian and a bengal live together unless there is a lot of space to avoid eachother IDK. just my two cents, but anyone feel free to tell me I'm completely wrong because I don't have expierence mixing cats with different temperaments either.

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all very much for your advises, I will try them.
I am very impressed by how long he kept himself from peeing, he was uncomfortable since early morning, meowing trying to tell me he needs to pee, I tried a lot to point him to the litter box and when I tried to put him in the box he refused, and at the end he couldn't keep it more. however, he has not pooped yet since last night.
Another thing is he does not drink water at all.

Very good news: I found some volunteer rescue group finally, I told them I took one of the kittens home and they said they will take him for fostering soon, and they will also take the other 4 kittens in next week. I will help them to trap the other 4. They most probably keep all of them for fostering.
So, I have to let the baby go against my will, I will be so sad when he is gone :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they would give him back to you once he is socialized and litter trained? Let us know what happens to the others please.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is the best news of all! Kudos to the foster group. I have been concerned about the other kittens.

Continue putting him in the litter box several times a day. Take a little paw and show him how to dig.

Do keep us posted on the other kittens! Your little guy will be happy to see his litter mates. :)