Shelter cat is broken and super depressed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on the medical/financial side. Vet harassed me with phone calls about the lab work. Now they say the results are not due to stress. Demanding I get new labs done. I said this is going too fast and she's not stabilized yet. They offered prozac. I stupidly thought how expensive could it be, so I agreed. Now I have to pay $75 for a month of prozac, then pay 350 for labs next month, then we still have the thousand for the dental work.

Something feels off. I know cats need medical care, but this is becoming a money pit.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Adopting an older cat, is always expensive, initially. Especially when one has been in the a shelter for a long period of time.

Personally, I would try a bit of the prozac--- at least have it in the house. See how Cosette is a week or so after the script comes in; before you decide to use it. Cosette seems to be making very good progress. .... see how that works, before getting the repeat blood tests. I would still put the dental on hold for a while.

What, specifically was 'off' on the blood tests? What additional ones do they want? What are they looking for? Sorry for all the questions..

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we got her, she was underweight, dehydrated, and malnourished. It hasn't even been a month.

Her lymphocytes are high. I still have the first email from the vet. Specifically said it happens from high stress, inflammation, or "maybe even" cancer. Now the story's changed and it can't be from stress.

Also said her calcium level was abnormal. Again I have the email where vet said it's consistent with her underweight condition, but "sometimes could even be" cancer. Now the story is, she's in big danger.

Cosette had a bad reaction to kitty CBD. We tried it on her for one day and it's definitely not for her. She has no reaction at all to catnip. Maybe I'm wrong, but something tells me the prozac won't help, and it'll be another 75 down the drain.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well well. I spoke to a friend who lives here in my city. Another cat mama. She's been to this vet. When she heard the vet's name, she immediately said that vet is horrible.

Looks like I'll need a second opinion.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well well. I spoke to a friend who lives here in my city. Another cat mama. She's been to this vet. When she heard the vet's name, she immediately said that vet is horrible.

I was thinking you might consider getting a 2nd opinion, so happy to see your above comment.

She got a walk around the house this morning. First time she kept her head up and looked around the whole time.
Awww.... sweet girl. :hearthrob: :bigeyes:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Re: prozac:
This is one of those drugs I was talking about that can have interactions with cbd oil.

If you are using the cbd oil STOP USING it. Prozac is known to have a drug interaction with it. Use only one or the other.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Most definitely get a second opinion!! Please! wait on the dental.. I think, if I were you, I would wait another month, before a second opinion... just to let Cosette get more acclimated and less stressed.

Did you ask your friend who she uses as a Vet? You could start there.. make an appointment now, for sometime in April.. At least that is what I think I would do.

She got a walk around the house this morning. First time she kept her head up and looked around the whole time.
OMGosh! She looks so good!! and allowing you to hold her!! She looks a little wary; as my guy does, but all in all; this is a Major Accomplishment! She is really trusting and accepting you!! Good Job!

So Happy! Cosette is so beautiful.. looks like she put on some weight and is much less frightened.. Her coat is so shiny, clean, and she is holding on to you!!
I really cannot stop looking at this picture!

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm thinking hold off on vets altogether for a month. Meantime I'll find a good option.

We use walks to redirect her. Sometimes after she goes potty she'll guard it, and she'll get stuck on it. I take her on an adventure, and she forgets the litter.

We're at the stage where she knows I'm her caretaker. She knows our adventures are harmless so she tolerates me handling her.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I'm thinking hold off on vets altogether for a month. Meantime I'll find a good option.

We use walks to redirect her. Sometimes after she goes potty she'll guard it, and she'll get stuck on it. I take her on an adventure, and she forgets the litter.

We're at the stage where she knows I'm her caretaker. She knows our adventures are harmless so she tolerates me handling her.
She has come such a long way in just less than a month. ❤

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
At night she sleeps inside the box. When we get up in the morning, she takes this position to monitor us passing by. Her expression is slowly changing from fear to curiosity.
That’s good. She’s piecing the pieces together and learning new things.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
At night she sleeps inside the box. When we get up in the morning, she takes this position to monitor us passing by. Her expression is slowly changing from fear to curiosity.
So awesome, she is getting curious!
Yes, the box is her 'home'-- her security blanket, so to speak. It is her safety net.

I am wondering something: Are you able to play with her, in her room, with a wand toy? If you are able to, and Cosette is not afraid of it; you could slowly use the wand toy to slowly lure her out of her room....

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad.. With Geoffrey, the wand toy, was the only way I could get him out from under my bed. Even slowly moving the daytime food dish, slowly closer to the end of the bed, did not work.