Shedding Shedding And More Shedding

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am still trying it figure out a solution to stop all the shedding from my Ragdoll without shaving them. I brush them even twice a day and still the massive shedding. There is hair everywhere. It floats in the air. I feed them high quality food and all. Not sure why their coats are so loose of hair. Thank God they do not mat, Ragdoll don't normally mat, but the hair shedding is stressing me out. I was hoping to take them a very good bath to loosen more hair, but they're afraid of water, big time!!! Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cats are 100% indoor, but it's very warm outdoors in the summers.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ask because my friend put a cat door between his garage (used as a workshop) and the house. The garage has only a swamp cooler and the house has AC. His cat is shedding immensely and the vet said it is because of the temperature fluctuations.
I hope that someone gives us some insight. My mom's Pomeranian/Papillon mix is shedding horrendously as well although we have only a swamp cooler. I am sick of getting hair in my mouth :barfgreen:

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
EXACTLY!!! Hair gets in my mouth as well!!! The coat is gorgeous but it comes with a price.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll cats have excellent personality, smart, loving, attached, active, and docile at the same time. They don't meow much either.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My disabled daughter's occupational therapist has 2 that are therapy cats. Too bad that I lost contact with that lady because I could ask her; her cats visit assisted living homes.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t have any advice, but I lived with this quantity of shedding for years. It could be worse....

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats shed. Especially during the summer. I have 4 and it’s pretty hairy now. Sometimes when I sweep the floor it’s like I’m just stirring the hair. :ohwell:

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ours too! Hairs EVERYWHERE :biggrin: we have one of those glove brushes which helps and she enjoys it as it feels like we are petting her.. sweeping/hoovering every day and using lint rollers before we leave the apartment :lol::lol:

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
10009891 10009891 Ugh what a mess huh? I think you should try Simple Shed by Espree! It’s for dogs and cats, but when I used it on my friends dog (who had a 7 foot deep undercoat:eviltongue:) it was amazing! You basically scrub it in, let it sit a few minutes and rinse. Then- be somewhere you can clean. With trash bags. And an oxygen tank and periscope. ALL the loose hair will come out at once. Your cats ancestors hair will appear, their grandkittens grandkittens hair will appear- you may drown. But then it’s done. No more shedding! The coat will be super silky and smell amazing, and you can wait until the next big shed and just brush occasionally as needed. It’s all natural and great stuff, I just adore that brand, it’s all I ever used on the ShihTzus. I used the ferminator brush on the cat to keep up and those brush mitts also, but if she ever gets that bad in the tub she goes! Good luck! I also like their shine spray to finish the coat, and though my dog acts like he’s been shot- he gets a cologne too.;)
Simple Shed Treatment

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information. I will see to try it. Today I was washing clothes and when I put the batch into the drier, there was hair all over. :(

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information. I will see to try it. Today I was washing clothes and when I put the batch into the drier, there was hair all over. :(
Ugh! I use those rubber gloves for washing dishes to pull he hair off clothes. Just firmly rub repeatedly in the same direction and it will start to ball up and you can pull it off in a wad. They work great for furniture too!

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out the NEWBEA pet hair removers. I have a wand of theirs that works really well on furniture, pillows, clothes, and wut not. I think they make a glove too.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am still trying it figure out a solution to stop all the shedding from my Ragdoll without shaving them. I brush them even twice a day and still the massive shedding. There is hair everywhere. It floats in the air. I feed them high quality food and all. Not sure why their coats are so loose of hair. Thank God they do not mat, Ragdoll don't normally mat, but the hair shedding is stressing me out. I was hoping to take them a very good bath to loosen more hair, but they're afraid of water, big time!!! Any suggestions?
I had a male rag doll few years ago luckily mine didn’t moult that much but I’ve two bsh cats and they really do moult far worse than any other cats I’ve owned I’m thinking if buying a furminator my two boys are brushed everyday completely indoor cats have top quality high meat content food. I don’t bathe my bshs I have worls of fluffy clouds coating everything, I think it’s cis it’s very hot this summer in the uk,

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brush with the Furminator first and follow up with the Zoom Groom. My kitty as a double coat with an undercoat and an overcoat, so the furminator takes care of the undercoat and the zoom groom removes the loose overcoat. I'm not sure about what coats ragdolls have, but maybe one or both of these brushes will work for you.

Last edited:

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Ragdolls don’t have an under coat or prone to matting. But they shed more than my Persian did when I had one. I was told the furminator cuts into the hair, which I don’t like. But thanks for the advise.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i broke down and got the furminator this year. My cats were shedding so bad. I cant tell that it cuts the hair, i have heard that too , doesn't look like it :dunno:
It did help a lot with my cats. i am a fan. I was using several different brushes and combs that just were not getting the fur off. my home, and my one cat that was hacking furballs like crazy really appreciate it!

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i broke down and got the furminator this year. My cats were shedding so bad. I cant tell that it cuts the hair, i have heard that too , doesn't look like it :dunno:
It did help a lot with my cats. i am a fan. I was using several different brushes and combs that just were not getting the fur off. my home, and my one cat that was hacking furballs like crazy really appreciate it!
The only time I've suspected that the furminator is cutting the coat was when I tried using short, fast strokes over the same area. The fur comes off really different, in a weird way, from when you do long sweeping strokes.