Share A Story On How People Or Yourself Are Making A Differnce For Cats This Year

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
And so do the foreigners turn a blind eye. Not only local people so please don’t misunderstand what I’m saying I don’t mean to be disrespectful in any way
I don't worry I understand :) but thank you for clarifying anyway ^-^. I was born and raised in America in one of the southern states. I think it's safe to say American cats have it better in some ways. I at one point was teaching as an English teacher for a bit in the country I live in now. They would share many things about the country and I would share about America. I was saying how I wished this country had the no animal abuse law. Like I said people here are sweet and good to animals but there are always bad apples in a bunch. The students agreed with me but the also informed me of how less human rights they had here. For instance freedom speech is limited and protesting is prohibited! So it's rather hard to do things here than in America. I then informed them yes that's true but it still doesn't make it impossible. We can all make a difference for everybody and animals included, along with still following the rules. It all starts with you guys. Never say someone else is better or you cant do anything. You all can do something! If you want things to change then you got to start making the change yourself. They all agreed and said they would try there best. I've now been living here for a year and a month with my husband. I didn't think there were any animal shelters here until I found and adopted my little Opi. I was researching about the native cats. I had found that a good chunk of people were making a difference and trying to adopt and send them out to other countries to be adopted. Not only that there was an animal shelter for cats in the capital city. I was happy to see someone is making a big difference here. Anyways the reason why I started this post was to hear all the good things and most importantly for people to be inspired to do something good for the kitties. Oh and if you were asking me what country I live in I still don't feel so comfy saying which one I'm in. Internet safety and all that nothing personal. Maybe one day I'll share but not right now. Anyway I think I have a good idea for you. Try writing an email or a letter to a trusted Islam community in Mecca the most holiest place in Islam. Maybe they can help or refer you to someone who can help. Sorry for the book >. < I just had a lot to say.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha don’t worry when I start talking about cats and animal rights I can’t stop either! So I will make it short and say thanks for your advice and I love everything that you just wrote in that message. Especially about how everyone can make a difference and how it all starts with each and every one of us ❤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't worry I understand :) but thank you for clarifying anyway ^-^. I was born and raised in America in one of the southern states. I think it's safe to say American cats have it better in some ways. I at one point was teaching as an English teacher for a bit in the country I live in now. They would share many things about the country and I would share about America. I was saying how I wished this country had the no animal abuse law. Like I said people here are sweet and good to animals but there are always bad apples in a bunch. The students agreed with me but the also informed me of how less human rights they had here. For instance freedom speech is limited and protesting is prohibited! So it's rather hard to do things here than in America. I then informed them yes that's true but it still doesn't make it impossible. We can all make a difference for everybody and animals included, along with still following the rules. It all starts with you guys. Never say someone else is better or you cant do anything. You all can do something! If you want things to change then you got to start making the change yourself. They all agreed and said they would try there best. I've now been living here for a year and a month with my husband. I didn't think there were any animal shelters here until I found and adopted my little Opi. I was researching about the native cats. I had found that a good chunk of people were making a difference and trying to adopt and send them out to other countries to be adopted. Not only that there was an animal shelter for cats in the capital city. I was happy to see someone is making a big difference here. Anyways the reason why I started this post was to hear all the good things and most importantly for people to be inspired to do something good for the kitties. Oh and if you were asking me what country I live in I still don't feel so comfy saying which one I'm in. Internet safety and all that nothing personal. Maybe one day I'll share but not right now. Anyway I think I have a good idea for you. Try writing an email or a letter to a trusted Islam community in Mecca the most holiest place in Islam. Maybe they can help or refer you to someone who can help. Sorry for the book >. < I just had a lot to say.
So well and truly said! EVERY society has people who are kind and people who are not. Pious people of any faith or just kind people who have not found their path to faith do the right thing. And as we know, there are as many paths to Faith as there are seekers. We must pray for everyone to be rightly Guided and for kindness and compassion, which are at the root of all Faith, to prevail. These are very difficult times all over the world, as we all know -- very many people are just trying desperately to survive and this does not always result in kindness. But I have found as you have found, that many people have kindness in their hearts -- sometimes it takes an effort to find it, but it is there, and it can be recovered, or brought out, if encouraged. I think a lot of people need to be reminded of these things, don't you? and I wish more Imams and more leaders of all communities would talk about this. Until they do, WE can.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great words, and not just Islam (I only mentioned that because of where I’m living) but people of all faith or those who aren’t religious. Kindness is not hard and he works would be a lot better place if we all did the best we could. Not just for the animals but generally speaking ❤

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried applying to several different cat rescues but none have gotten back to me yet. I would love to volunteer at a rescue this coming year and in the holiday season. If anyone is in the Toronto area and currently volunteering, please let me know how to get into the system. I'd love to help out!

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I know someone in Toronto who volunteers with a rescue group if you want to message me privately on Facebook Lauren Braithwaite (pic of me and my sis). - living in Riyadh I can get you in contact her just need to ask her first

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm working to start up a special cat rescue (I'd love to help dogs too, but I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, meaning I'm injured easily and a 50+lb dog jumping up on me could badly hurt me. Plus, I'm slowly losing my mobility, so I don't think I could give dogs the exercise and socialization they need.) We take cats from the deep south, where overpopulation, abuse, abandonment, euth rates, and neglect to spay and neuter are absurdly high, up north to find homes for them, specifically in low overpopulation areas. My state is almost a no kill state, so it's fertile ground for what I'm trying to do. The local shelter hates us and we've already gotten hostility from them, but that is their problem. My husband is a trucker, so we use him as our main source of transportation. My mother acts as a sanctuary for cats and kittens too sick or disabled to handle a semi ride, and I have a large group of wonderful ladies in the south that hold onto cats and kittens we have pulled by ally rescues, or take from individuals in desperate situations. My mother brings them to the truck.

We don't want to use taxes for this, so it's all out of pocket. My husband and I pay for everything, once they leave our independent fosters down south. We require a rabies vaccination and FLV/FIV test before they can come up, but we pay for that. We have saved dozens this year and hope for a hundred next year as we continue to streamline our technique and make connections. We have larger plans to make the case for how having a pet helps people with depression/anxiety and open a partnership program with therapists and psychiatric clinics, but that's once we get fully established with a better place from which to run this. We live in an apartment with a cool landlord, and can't buy a house until my husband has been a private contractor for two years. One year to go!

We plan on adding a large catio and "cat shelves" throughout the house that lead from room to room. We have both pledged our lives to this, and even when we have children, they will learn to help and hopefully carry on my cause long after I am gone/no longer able to physically do this.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow this is amazing work you do! I’m sorry about your health problems and I hope you can continue to be active and healthy for a long long time. It sounds like you, your husband, mother and your future kids are perfect examples of how people should be! I pay for everything out of my own pocket too so I know how expensive it gets but it’s just money at the end of day, when we are old and die money means nothing but what you have achieved in life means everything honestly this is a great story thank you so much for sharing and good luck for all your future plans ❤

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow this is amazing work you do! I’m sorry about your health problems and I hope you can continue to be active and healthy for a long long time. It sounds like you, your husband, mother and your future kids are perfect examples of how people should be! I pay for everything out of my own pocket too so I know how expensive it gets but it’s just money at the end of day, when we are old and die money means nothing but what you have achieved in life means everything honestly this is a great story thank you so much for sharing and good luck for all your future plans ❤
Thank you for your kind words and well wishes. I remember seeing a shelter euthanasia put on the news, the whole process, and I'll never forget it. I couldn't have been more than 8 years old. Most likely much younger, like 5 or 6. But I remember that cat's last breath, and seeing him thrown in a bag like trash, with similar piled. I swore then that I'd do something about it. Now, despite my skeleton looking like that of someone more than twice my age, I'm going to fulfill that promise. Luckily, it isn't lethal, and I have a strong will. Even if it's from a wheelchair, I'll be out there saving lives I see ways rescue hadn't been meeting its full potential with other rescues -- no offense to them, I just have some new ideas. I want to try to get rescues to work together instead of bickering or having drama, and we could do far more with social media and even YouTube. We can link up with other charities, charities for people, because pets help people psychologically in many ways. I want to run this business in all of these ways and revolutionize rescue.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I think you are an amazing person. I agree with u about other shelters I think it’s the government run ones that are the problem, ones set up by people like us are better because it truly is our passion to help as many as we can and not euthanise. I don’t know if you have watched earthlings but that was my first glimpse of how shelters kill animals, as well as all other abuse of animals for food, clothing etc but it changed my life forever. Here in saudi we have no way to dispose of animals that have passed away and we can’t cremate them either so our only option for the ones that have died on my compound or in our home we have had no choice but to wrap them up in a towel and place them in the bin. It is so traumatic and undignified and they deserve so much better. The things I have seen here are heartbreaking, but it has made me like you, with a strong resolve to do everything in my power to help. For me that’s why I was placed on this earth. And i think the same for you. I’d love to stay updated with your future plans so keep in touch I love connecting with other likeminded people. Best of luck and take care of your yourself xx

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm working to start up a special cat rescue (I'd love to help dogs too, but I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, meaning I'm injured easily and a 50+lb dog jumping up on me could badly hurt me. Plus, I'm slowly losing my mobility, so I don't think I could give dogs the exercise and socialization they need.) We take cats from the deep south, where overpopulation, abuse, abandonment, euth rates, and neglect to spay and neuter are absurdly high, up north to find homes for them, specifically in low overpopulation areas. My state is almost a no kill state, so it's fertile ground for what I'm trying to do. The local shelter hates us and we've already gotten hostility from them, but that is their problem. My husband is a trucker, so we use him as our main source of transportation. My mother acts as a sanctuary for cats and kittens too sick or disabled to handle a semi ride, and I have a large group of wonderful ladies in the south that hold onto cats and kittens we have pulled by ally rescues, or take from individuals in desperate situations. My mother brings them to the truck.

We don't want to use taxes for this, so it's all out of pocket. My husband and I pay for everything, once they leave our independent fosters down south. We require a rabies vaccination and FLV/FIV test before they can come up, but we pay for that. We have saved dozens this year and hope for a hundred next year as we continue to streamline our technique and make connections. We have larger plans to make the case for how having a pet helps people with depression/anxiety and open a partnership program with therapists and psychiatric clinics, but that's once we get fully established with a better place from which to run this. We live in an apartment with a cool landlord, and can't buy a house until my husband has been a private contractor for two years. One year to go!

We plan on adding a large catio and "cat shelves" throughout the house that lead from room to room. We have both pledged our lives to this, and even when we have children, they will learn to help and hopefully carry on my cause long after I am gone/no longer able to physically do this.
YOU are AMAZING. May you be many times blessed for putting your caring into action in such a wonderful way!!!:goldstar::wow::winner:

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly I think you are an amazing person. I agree with u about other shelters I think it’s the government run ones that are the problem, ones set up by people like us are better because it truly is our passion to help as many as we can and not euthanise. I don’t know if you have watched earthlings but that was my first glimpse of how shelters kill animals, as well as all other abuse of animals for food, clothing etc but it changed my life forever. Here in saudi we have no way to dispose of animals that have passed away and we can’t cremate them either so our only option for the ones that have died on my compound or in our home we have had no choice but to wrap them up in a towel and place them in the bin. It is so traumatic and undignified and they deserve so much better. The things I have seen here are heartbreaking, but it has made me like you, with a strong resolve to do everything in my power to help. For me that’s why I was placed on this earth. And i think the same for you. I’d love to stay updated with your future plans so keep in touch I love connecting with other likeminded people. Best of luck and take care of your yourself xx
I'm so glad we have people looking out for our furry friends in the Middle East. One great thing about rescue is that it brings people of all kinds together to do good alongside one another, and make friends in the process. I'd love to hear what it is like in your country and if there's any way we in America can help. I want to visit the Middle East and many places throughout Asia one day. So far, the closest I've been was northern Europe. :( But thank you for what you do for animals where you live. I too believe this is my purpose, and it's crazy how I found my purpose. But finding it led me to many wonderful things, even if the path was hard. I cannot help but think that even my darkest days were God's plan to get me here, and back to Him, as in my bitterness from some of the hardships I had, I turned away from Him. I did not believe a good God could let the world be so awful. But I learned as I grew up that sometimes, like Judas, God uses people's evil deeds, or sickness, to make people who they are meant to be, doing the work He has chosen for them. This is just my personal belief. One could also say that things just worked out this way, but that is not my line of thinking. We all believe what we believe.

And I am firmly with you on state-run facilities. There are good people there doing what they can, but the system overall is evil. I relish freeing cats from those tiny, claustrophobic cages and bringing them into my open home, then into a permanent home with good people. I wish they'd spend money dedicated to euthanasias on T&R programs. There is a better way than death. Death is never the answer, and yet, for the government, it seems to be the crux of their morality. It's infuriating.

YOU are AMAZING. May you be many times blessed for putting your caring into action in such a wonderful way!!!:goldstar::wow::winner:
You are just too kind. Thank you so much. I'm very grateful for your moving words. You too are amazing. Every life saved means the world to that life. You, I know, have saved lives, and they know. May you and your house be blessed as well. :)

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad we have people looking out for our furry friends in the Middle East. One great thing about rescue is that it brings people of all kinds together to do good alongside one another, and make friends in the process. I'd love to hear what it is like in your country and if there's any way we in America can help. I want to visit the Middle East and many places throughout Asia one day. So far, the closest I've been was northern Europe. :( But thank you for what you do for animals where you live. I too believe this is my purpose, and it's crazy how I found my purpose. But finding it led me to many wonderful things, even if the path was hard. I cannot help but think that even my darkest days were God's plan to get me here, and back to Him, as in my bitterness from some of the hardships I had, I turned away from Him. I did not believe a good God could let the world be so awful. But I learned as I grew up that sometimes, like Judas, God uses people's evil deeds, or sickness, to make people who they are meant to be, doing the work He has chosen for them. This is just my personal belief. One could also say that things just worked out this way, but that is not my line of thinking. We all believe what we believe.

And I am firmly with you on state-run facilities. There are good people there doing what they can, but the system overall is evil. I relish freeing cats from those tiny, claustrophobic cages and bringing them into my open home, then into a permanent home with good people. I wish they'd spend money dedicated to euthanasias on T&R programs. There is a better way than death. Death is never the answer, and yet, for the government, it seems to be the crux of their morality. It's infuriating.

You are just too kind. Thank you so much. I'm very grateful for your moving words. You too are amazing. Every life saved means the world to that life. You, I know, have saved lives, and they know. May you and your house be blessed as well. :)
It is said that there are as many paths to Faith as there are people. I think that that is true. And as far as all the nightmarish stuff, I credit that right where it is due: with PEOPLE, who have free will and choices. Nature can be very harsh, but it's human beings who are supposed to be born with great intelligence and as mammals, we are hard-wired to be social and caring. Those who choose not to be are evil, IMHO, and in some cases they may be clinically damaged, which is another long, long story. But most of us do have choices and our Creator does certainly want us to be caring because every living being comes from that One Source and is infinitely important. If I was running things, I'd mandate that the first priority in any society be the protection of the most vulnerable, as we are instructed to do.
TNR, real sheltering, and humane education in all grades from the very start up through the highest level would be first priority.

Yes, my family on both sides have always rescued and adopted cats, loving them very much. My mom was an anti-vivisectionist when most people didn't know what that meant and my dad always helped those in need -- once he saw some dogs who were in need and he asked the people on whose land they were if they would feed them if he bought the food. He did this for some time, until he did not see the dogs any more. Hopefully they found safe haven. Anyone, anywhere, can make that choice to be kind and compassionate in whatever way possible. It's what we are made to do and it improves our own health and wellbeing as well!

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is said that there are as many paths to Faith as there are people. I think that that is true. And as far as all the nightmarish stuff, I credit that right where it is due: with PEOPLE, who have free will and choices. Nature can be very harsh, but it's human beings who are supposed to be born with great intelligence and as mammals, we are hard-wired to be social and caring. Those who choose not to be are evil, IMHO, and in some cases they may be clinically damaged, which is another long, long story. But most of us do have choices and our Creator does certainly want us to be caring because every living being comes from that One Source and is infinitely important. If I was running things, I'd mandate that the first priority in any society be the protection of the most vulnerable, as we are instructed to do.
TNR, real sheltering, and humane education in all grades from the very start up through the highest level would be first priority.

Yes, my family on both sides have always rescued and adopted cats, loving them very much. My mom was an anti-vivisectionist when most people didn't know what that meant and my dad always helped those in need -- once he saw some dogs who were in need and he asked the people on whose land they were if they would feed them if he bought the food. He did this for some time, until he did not see the dogs any more. Hopefully they found safe haven. Anyone, anywhere, can make that choice to be kind and compassionate in whatever way possible. It's what we are made to do and it improves our own health and wellbeing as well!
I completely agree with you. That’s great what your mum did, I am vegan so completely against vivisection so I love that she did this! A lot of this thread has been slightly about religion, but I have no religion (I do have beliefs though) but to me it doesn’t matter who u are or where you come from, we as humans have the power and ability to fix this world for like you said the most vulnerable - animals, children and the poor people/countries in this world. It is so frustrating that we have the resources to do all this good and fix the world problems but the world has become a corrupt place ruled by money, governments and the extremely rich (the elite) and it’s not right that so many cats, other animals and humans suffer because of this. And you are right education needs to start from grade 1 for children so hopefully one day the world will be better. It takes time but eventually things like slavery ended, and woman got the right to vote (must have realised we have brains ) so my wish is that one day animal suffering will be a thing of the past and future generations will look at us and wonder what the hell we were thinking. I too hope the dogs your dad fed ended up ok. And tell your mum thank u for fighting against animal testing!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with you. That’s great what your mum did, I am vegan so completely against vivisection so I love that she did this! A lot of this thread has been slightly about religion, but I have no religion (I do have beliefs though) but to me it doesn’t matter who u are or where you come from, we as humans have the power and ability to fix this world for like you said the most vulnerable - animals, children and the poor people/countries in this world. It is so frustrating that we have the resources to do all this good and fix the world problems but the world has become a corrupt place ruled by money, governments and the extremely rich (the elite) and it’s not right that so many cats, other animals and humans suffer because of this. And you are right education needs to start from grade 1 for children so hopefully one day the world will be better. It takes time but eventually things like slavery ended, and woman got the right to vote (must have realised we have brains ) so my wish is that one day animal suffering will be a thing of the past and future generations will look at us and wonder what the hell we were thinking. I too hope the dogs your dad fed ended up ok. And tell your mum thank u for fighting against animal testing!!!
Agree 100%. This is so far from what was intended for the way all of us should live, it's the OPPOSITE. I'm always speechless when people who believe they themselves are so righteous live like most people here live. I wonder what their studies were/are in terms of spirituality/ethics and how they've been able to twist it around to the opposite of what every major faith teaches. It would just be sad if it wasn't for the terrible damage they do others with their callous, heartless, soulless, morally bankrupt attitudes and ways. I pray for them, that they will become aware of this and decide to change. On the other hand, there are so many excellent people working for the things we know are the things worth working for. They are inspirational! Great strides ARE being made for those we care about. We can focus on those and join with those doing good to increase it and bring it about sooner. TCS is a great venue for that.
Thanks for the last -- my mom is undoubtedly aware of your gratitude. I believe that those who have passed know everything, or at least a great deal more than they do while here.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, there are a lot of good people here who work tirelessly to help but we need the government support before things will ever change. I agree with you about your darkest days leading u to where u are now. I have been so many traumatic things with cats here and even though I will never forget or get over it, it has made me stronger and made me realise that I do have power as one person to make the world a better place. I might not be able to save all the animals but every one I do save means the absolute world to me.
I too love how animal rescue brings like minded people together, I speak a lot with people here in saudi that I have never even met and between us we have saved many lives, some of them even more so then me.
If you would like to help to spread the word about my campaign I have links in the cats SoS page - save my saudi cats, which would be great if you could share, the more people the better. It’s costing me everything I have to send my cats out of this country so I have tried spreading my campaign everywhere lol but I’m not the best at fundraising
If you want to hear more about saudi please feel free to message me through Facebook Lauren Braithwaite - so the thread isn’t too long lol, there is a lot I can tell you about it, about the animals the lifestyle etc whatever interests you. I’m open to any questions

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, there are a lot of good people here who work tirelessly to help but we need the government support before things will ever change. I agree with you about your darkest days leading u to where u are now. I have been so many traumatic things with cats here and even though I will never forget or get over it, it has made me stronger and made me realise that I do have power as one person to make the world a better place. I might not be able to save all the animals but every one I do save means the absolute world to me.
I too love how animal rescue brings like minded people together, I speak a lot with people here in saudi that I have never even met and between us we have saved many lives, some of them even more so then me.
If you would like to help to spread the word about my campaign I have links in the cats SoS page - save my saudi cats, which would be great if you could share, the more people the better. It’s costing me everything I have to send my cats out of this country so I have tried spreading my campaign everywhere lol but I’m not the best at fundraising
If you want to hear more about saudi please feel free to message me through Facebook Lauren Braithwaite - so the thread isn’t too long lol, there is a lot I can tell you about it, about the animals the lifestyle etc whatever interests you. I’m open to any questions
Just a thought, and this would be better coming from the men, within the community, at least at first: If the caring members of the community could appoach the Imams and Sheikhs and others who are greatly respected and influential, and discuss this subject with the thought of getting it more widely talked about in the masjid and at schools, etc., citing hadith and tradition, it might start something very good. Just suggesting.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree 100%. This is so far from what was intended for the way all of us should live, it's the OPPOSITE. I'm always speechless when people who believe they themselves are so righteous live like most people here live. I wonder what their studies were/are in terms of spirituality/ethics and how they've been able to twist it around to the opposite of what every major faith teaches. It would just be sad if it wasn't for the terrible damage they do others with their callous, heartless, soulless, morally bankrupt attitudes and ways. I pray for them, that they will become aware of this and decide to change. On the other hand, there are so many excellent people working for the things we know are the things worth working for. They are inspirational! Great strides ARE being made for those we care about. We can focus on those and join with those doing good to increase it and bring it about sooner. TCS is a great venue for that.
Thanks for the last -- my mom is undoubtedly aware of your gratitude. I believe that those who have passed know everything, or at least a great deal more than they do while here.