Share A Story On How People Or Yourself Are Making A Differnce For Cats This Year

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to hear all the good things being done for all the kitties out there! Tell me what your doing, your community, or your city is doing to make a difference for cats this year. I love seeing and hearing good things done for kitties. I'll share first to get you guys all started. Where I live I see many feral cats,semi feral and stray cats. I also visit a small town regularly where feral cats are more common then any other. The place where I live the people adore the cats and many people feed them and the cat's aren't all that skinny looking. The town where I visit though skinny cats are more common and people are kinda nervous around them cause they carry kitty diseases. The first winter I spent here was very sad. It gets very cold here in the winter so during cold days I would sometimes see a poor kitten or kitty lying frozen some where :(. More commonly in the small town then the big city where I live. Now this year the cold is starting to blow it's shivering winds. My heart was touched by what I saw in both places. Someone from each place had put out an old blanket for the cats to cuddle on and keep warm. This was so sweet and considerate. I think sometimes we forget that kitties need to keep warm in the winter too. We all think about food and water but we forget about keeping them warm to. With that it really pulled at my heart strings to see that 2 people in each place remembered this and donated a little old blanket for the kitties to cuddle and keep warm in. I for one am going to try and do more for them this year what about you guys?

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started school to become a vet tech. I volunteer at the local animal control. And I found Theodore during one of my classes at a local no kill shelter. He was miserable and just waiting to die. When I picked him up he laid his head on my shoulder and begged me to take him home. I left and couldn't stop thinking about him. I filled out the paperwork and brought him home the next day. He's 16. He has muscular atrophy, hyperthyroidism, and his eyes are permanently dialated. I give him subcutaneous fluids every morning and pills twice a day. He can barely see us or hear us but he is incredibly happy to be in a loving home. His owners surrendered him because it was too difficult to give him pills. I don't care if he lives 6 more weeks or 6 more years. I'm so glad I found him. I'm so glad I can make whatever life he has left full of love.
20171121_080805.jpg 20171118_094737.jpg 20171120_105615.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
I started school to become a vet tech. I volunteer at the local animal control. And I found Theodore during one of my classes at a local no kill shelter. He was miserable and just waiting to die. When I picked him up he laid his head on my shoulder and begged me to take him home. I left and couldn't stop thinking about him. I filled out the paperwork and brought him home the next day. He's 16. He has muscular atrophy, hyperthyroidism, and his eyes are permanently dialated. I give him subcutaneous fluids every morning and pills twice a day. He can barely see us or hear us but he is incredibly happy to be in a loving home. His owners surrendered him because it was too difficult to give him pills. I don't care if he lives 6 more weeks or 6 more years. I'm so glad I found him.
Awwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!! what an adorable kitty!!!!!!! He looks so beautiful to! Glad to hear your story ^-^ he's lucky to have you.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started school to become a vet tech. I volunteer at the local animal control. And I found Theodore during one of my classes at a local no kill shelter. He was miserable and just waiting to die. When I picked him up he laid his head on my shoulder and begged me to take him home. I left and couldn't stop thinking about him. I filled out the paperwork and brought him home the next day. He's 16. He has muscular atrophy, hyperthyroidism, and his eyes are permanently dialated. I give him subcutaneous fluids every morning and pills twice a day. He can barely see us or hear us but he is incredibly happy to be in a loving home. His owners surrendered him because it was too difficult to give him pills. I don't care if he lives 6 more weeks or 6 more years. I'm so glad I found him. I'm so glad I can make whatever life he has left full of love.
View attachment 207462 View attachment 207463 View attachment 207464
What a gorgeous, gorgeous guy Theodore is! May he, and you, be many times blessed and may he have nonstop love, comfort, and the best of care always!

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I work with rescuing stray cats in Saudi Arabia and are in the process of sending 30+ out of the country to be adopted. I work with TNR programs and foster lots of kittens over the last 4 years. I have links to bored panda and go fund me if anyone can help me out even by sharing my links please private message me you can contact me through Facebook, Lauren Braithwaite, or here. Keep up the good work everyone the cats need us!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The head of our local animal shelter here is really trying to set up TNR here in McCook Ne. McCook is NOT cat friendly, I guess we have a lot of dog lovers on the council. The city still traps and euthanizes ferals despite people feeding and caring for them.They poisoned them up until a few years ago, but the public revolted, too many dogs and pets died. A lot of their traps are intentionally sprung and signs hung stating the need for TNR, I don't know HOW that keeps happening!! :running: I guess there are some sneaky people out there that move fast! There still are laws on the books right now that prohibit feeding any wild/feral animal, (birds and squirrels too!?)and cats are to be leashed if they go off your property. We DID get the law changed on having to pay 50.00 to license every cat you own! It was the only city council meeting I ever went to, and was packed. If they actually try to enforce any of these laws, I'm sure there will be another revolt. I do my share by having every stray neutered/spayed that shows up at my place and stays. Whoops, even a couple of neighborhood cats that are left to defend for themselves.
In the meantime we keep plugging away, the public needs to be made more aware for the shelter to receive the funds necessary to get started. We even had a marquee up that had "50.00 to license a cat!!!? ARE YOU NUTS!!!!! " I got a chuckle out of that and saved the newspaper article on it.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
So your saying kill shelters are a good thing? I'm a little confused honestly I became quite angry and horrified at your post so perhaps I missed all of the good part. I only saw that someone is trying to enforce a law and you were as well. So there stopping all these cat murders? So much sad stuff in this post :(
The head of our local animal shelter here is really trying to set up TNR here in McCook Ne. McCook is NOT cat friendly, I guess we have a lot of dog lovers on the council. The city still traps and euthanizes ferals despite people feeding and caring for them.They poisoned them up until a few years ago, but the public revolted, too many dogs and pets died. A lot of their traps are intentionally sprung and signs hung stating the need for TNR, I don't know HOW that keeps happening!! :running: I guess there are some sneaky people out there that move fast! There still are laws on the books right now that prohibit feeding any wild/feral animal, (birds and squirrels too!?)and cats are to be leashed if they go off your property. We DID get the law changed on having to pay 50.00 to license every cat you own! It was the only city council meeting I ever went to, and was packed. If they actually try to enforce any of these laws, I'm sure there will be another revolt. I do my share by having every stray neutered/spayed that shows up at my place and stays. Whoops, even a couple of neighborhood cats that are left to defend for themselves.
In the meantime we keep plugging away, the public needs to be made more aware for the shelter to receive the funds necessary to get started. We even had a marquee up that had "50.00 to license a cat!!!? ARE YOU NUTS!!!!! " I got a chuckle out of that and saved the newspaper article on it.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi no they aren’t saying kill shelters are a good thing, they are trying to get funds and laws in place to stop the killing of stray cats, and do trap neuter release instead, which is the only way to control stray cat populations. I think maybe u misread the post possibly. Here in saudi it’s against Islam for animal cruelty yet the city councils do mass trapping, poisoning and shooting of both dogs and cats. It’s a terrible sickening situation. There are many good people who help but we don’t even have animal shelters in this country! They estimate there’s 2 million stray cats alone in this one city. So my colony of cats HAVE to leave the country (so far 12 have gone) before I leave in January. Otherwise it’s certain death before too long. I hope you have some good luck and paws changing to protect your cats soon. TNR is the only answer. They are trying to bring in culling if cats back home in Australia now too which disgusts me. So I will have to try get involved in the fight against that when I get home too

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I would never advocate kill shelters. Our shelter is a no kill, it is the city that is trapping feral cats. The shelter here is mostly funded by donations and fundraisers, no animal control, nothing. The police have to be called for stray dogs, etc. It's not a good situation. Our shelter finds homes for every animal it brings in, the abused and abandoned. It also raises money through fundraisers for any medical expenses it may get. They also socialize stray or feral young kittens and have found farm homes for many of the adult ferals that are brought in by the public. The shelter head and I are trying to get the word out about trap-neuter- release and educate the people why it is needed so the killing can stop. This is the 'good' we are trying to do. There are too many ferals and people are complaining. I also stated I was tripping the traps and hanging signs on them so cats wouldn't be caught, my walks take me past these trapping sites, although I haven't seen any for a while, people may have complained enough that it has stopped.
I have spayed and neutered so many cats here I have lost count, to keep the population under control, I also give medical treatments and medication to any cats that show up at my house and need it, not to mention 250.00 a month in cat food and the 8 heated shelters I put up every winter.
Remember, laws and situations will NEVER change unless the public gets involved, that means ALL OF US! Speak up, things can be changed!

Last edited:

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with u and I do everything I can here to help as well. If only the governments would get behind us thank you so much for everything that you do ❤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi no they aren’t saying kill shelters are a good thing, they are trying to get funds and laws in place to stop the killing of stray cats, and do trap neuter release instead, which is the only way to control stray cat populations. I think maybe u misread the post possibly. Here in saudi it’s against Islam for animal cruelty yet the city councils do mass trapping, poisoning and shooting of both dogs and cats. It’s a terrible sickening situation. There are many good people who help but we don’t even have animal shelters in this country! They estimate there’s 2 million stray cats alone in this one city. So my colony of cats HAVE to leave the country (so far 12 have gone) before I leave in January. Otherwise it’s certain death before too long. I hope you have some good luck and paws changing to protect your cats soon. TNR is the only answer. They are trying to bring in culling if cats back home in Australia now too which disgusts me. So I will have to try get involved in the fight against that when I get home too
The problem in ALL societies is that people do not adhere to the teachings of their faiths as almost all major faiths that I am aware of instruct us to protect and respect other living beings (as well as our own vulnerable, sick, weak, etc.). And yes, in Islam the tradition is definitely to respect, protect and love the cat! In some places this is still done, but too many societies seem to be about power, greed, selfishness and instant gratification. People have forgotten compassion, kindness and helping others, which are the only true paths to happiness. Australia's policy is horrific. Too many societies are also doing this, under the radar. And many are working tirelessly to try to find effective wide-reaching birth control so that cats (and other animals) are not born into a world where they will not be respected, protected and loved. Thank you for all you do for cats. Keep up the good work. May you be blessed for your caring!

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
^-^ It's true all spoken very well! Islam are cat lovers and also a lover to all animals. The Prophet Mohammed had a best friend who loved cats so much he always had a small kitten with him. His nickname is hard to translate but best one is father of small cats. I'm a Muslim:) and a proud one. Many people misunderstand or fear it cause they don't know it. In reality it truly is a peaceful and loving religion. I've seen it with my own eyes so many people here are good to the animals here. Especially the cats :) they feed them and do a lot for them. Even the ones who are scared of them still do there part. Though not any country is perfect and not every single person is good no matter what race, religion or sex. There are good people and bad people in this world so we can't judge. P. S. Sorry I misunderstood that one post just hearing all those bad things those people did it just made me see red. Glad to here it's not like that.
The problem in ALL societies is that people do not adhere to the teachings of their faiths as almost all major faiths that I am aware of instruct us to protect and respect other living beings (as well as our own vulnerable, sick, weak, etc.). And yes, in Islam the tradition is definitely to respect, protect and love the cat! In some places this is still done, but too many societies seem to be about power, greed, selfishness and instant gratification. People have forgotten compassion, kindness and helping others, which are the only true paths to happiness. Australia's policy is horrific. Too many societies are also doing this, under the radar. And many are working tirelessly to try to find effective wide-reaching birth control so that cats (and other animals) are not born into a world where they will not be respected, protected and loved. Thank you for all you do for cats. Keep up the good work. May you be blessed for your caring!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^-^ It's true all spoken very well! Islam are cat lovers and also a lover to all animals. The Prophet Mohammed had a best friend who loved cats so much he always had a small kitten with him. His nickname is hard to translate but best one is father of small cats. I'm a Muslim:) and a proud one. Many people misunderstand or fear it cause they don't know it. In reality it truly is a peaceful and loving religion. I've seen it with my own eyes so many people here are good to the animals here. Especially the cats :) they feed them and do a lot for them. Even the ones who are scared of them still do there part. Though not any country is perfect and not every single person is good no matter what race, religion or sex. There are good people and bad people in this world so we can't judge. P. S. Sorry I misunderstood that one post just hearing all those bad things those people did it just made me see red. Glad to here it's not like that.
So very true. And one special cat was Muezza. The cat is clean, quiet (well, usually!), well behaved (most often!), beautiful, strong, agile, loyal, devoted, friendly...all excellent qualities we would do well to emulate as much as we can!

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What country are you living in? I do believe Islam is a peaceful religion all the bad stuff not religion at all (this is all religious fanatics I mean). In saudi yes there are a lot of Muslim’s who work so hard to help but there also so so many who turn a blind eye. But like I said the governments aren’t interested in helping, there are no shelters, so few vets, and many families won’t allow their family member who does want to help have cats in the house Saudi isn’t the best example for animal welfare but I have heard in places like turkey they treat their strays very well ❤

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And so do the foreigners turn a blind eye. Not only local people so please don’t misunderstand what I’m saying I don’t mean to be disrespectful in any way