September 2022 Book of the Month Club ---"Twenties Girl"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond . You gave it a go and it wasnt your type of book. You have to like and engage with at least a few of the characters in a book to at least read to the end. I too found a lot of the people frustrating and struggled to get the enthusiasm to read more. I'm surprised that so many of the reviews on Goodreads were so positive but I imagine you either love or loath Sophie Kinsella's style of writing.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I think I have a few minutes to actually write a review now.

I did not hate this book as much as you guys seemed to! So maybe I jibe with Kinsella's writing style.

Here's a few notes:

Positives:
-The book was an easy read, and once I got into it, I wanted to keep reading one more chapter to see what happened next.
-Yes, it was obvious Lara and Ed were going to end up together, but I liked the way their relationship developed and the way they interacted with each other
-Sadie, while annoying at times, did grow on me. I was pretty immature at 23, so I'll give her a bit of a pass.
-It was kind of obvious Uncle Bill was a Big Bad, but still the details surrounding how he got his fortune and peddled it and that the painting existed, etc, was intriguing. And there are enough people like that in the world "I did it with just two coins (and a secret cash stash) and you can, too. Buy my book!" that he was believable in his slimeballness.

Negatives:
-No one ever once called Lara 'Lari' as a nickname, and it was deeply disappointing. :lol:
-Anything to do with Josh was completely cringe-worthy and I had second hand embarrassment reading how pathetic Lara was being.
-The police/murder stuff was also pretty cringe, though I accept it had to happen to save the body a bit longer.

Now that Sadie's gone, I wonder how Lara and Kate's headhunting business will go. They have contacts, but no one who can do ghost spying.

I'm not going to rush out to read Kinsella's other books, but I mostly enjoyed reading this one. I'll give it 3/5 stars.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
-No one ever once called Lara 'Lari' as a nickname, and it was deeply disappointing. :lol:
:lolup:

I'm not going to rush out to read Kinsella's other books, but I mostly enjoyed reading this one.
I wouldn't suggest rushing out right away to read her other books, but after a bit of time, maybe check out the Shopaholic series. The protagonist, Becky, is very similar to Lara, but gets somewhat less immature in future books.

It's definitely best to read them in order, as they do tell a continuing story, but I think you'd especially enjoy this one.
Shopaholic & Baby (Shopaholic, #5)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats the end of our discussion time for the September book however if you want to add anything please do so. Thank you all for participating in reading and sharing your views, hopefully see you again next month.