September 2022 Book of the Month Club ---"Twenties Girl"

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually read a lot yesterday. It seems to be a fairly easy read and I'm getting more into it the farther I get.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started it yesterday, and have read to the end of chapter 4, so far. It's silly, but entertaining. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you finish Twenties Girl, gilmargl gilmargl

I've read quite a bit over the last few days, and my e-reader tells me I'm at the 53% point, so just past halfway.

How's everyone else doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only a couple more days before review time. How is everyone doing?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oops.. meant to get this. The Audio is well narrated. Trouble is it's 14 hours long so there's no way I'll make it in time.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
178422241.jpg

Here we are again, 22nd of the month which means it's review time. Hope you enjoyed Twenties Girl, we'll soon find out :) . Post your reviews of our September book if you have finished it. We have until 28th for reviews but feel free to post after that date if you haven't finished the book.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished the book a couple days ago. Here's my review:

My thoughts on this book are mixed. It was a cute story, however, I feel it could have been better if some parts had been omitted.

Like the beginning with the farcical fake murder accusation.

And then most, if not all, of Sadie screaming in people’s ears to make them do or say things.

Even though it worked out with Josh and Lara splitting for good, and Ed and Lara becoming a couple, manipulating both men was really tacky. As was making Uncle Bill think he was fat. But making all the strangers support Lara’s new business was really over the top.

But even with all that, I still grew fond of Sadie, and got teary at the end, when I knew she was at peace and wouldn’t be back.

I really liked reading about the dancing, clothes, hair and makeup from her “twenties girl” life.

And despite Sadie’s meddling, I enjoyed how Lara and Ed’s forced meeting predictably became a romance. And I liked the friendship that developed between Lara and Sadie.

Still not exactly sure why Uncle Bill stole the necklace. Obviously because it was pictured in the painting. But why did he wait so long to decide to take it?

And although I know Sadie needed her necklace to be able rest in peace, I couldn’t help feeling it was almost a tragedy it didn’t get to be publicly displayed somewhere with the painting.

One thing that took me out of the story, and was no fault of the author, was the mentions of the Queen. It just brought me back real life, and the reminder that we no longer have a Queen of England. Since I read a lot of books by British authors, I probably need to prepare myself for that happening a lot now.

So although it was a bit long, and more than a little silly, overall I enjoyed the book so I’ll give it three stars.
1663843385145.png

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having decided I was definitely NOT going to buy this book, I found it (in German) at my local library. In the English section, there was a copy of “Remember Me?” so I borrowed both books. I started reading the first chapters of “Remember Me?” while visiting a sleeping patient in a nursing home and decided: the language is simple so even “Charleston Girl”, the German translation of “Twenties Girl”, will be an easy read. And it was. POSITIVE!

The translation was good and even the dialogue in Cockney slang was well done. POSITIVE!

If it hadn’t been a library book and it wasn’t our book of the month I would have tossed it by page 50 (of 500) and possibly every 50 pages later. I was reading in German so the term “peinlich” was my reaction to the antics of Lara and Sadie. “Peinlich” is usually translated as embarrassing or awkward, but “Pein” is pain, and I found it truly painful! NEGATIVE

The metamorphosis of Lara from an unsuccessful, lying, disrespectful, head-hunter and stalker into a confident, generous, successful head hunter with a new rich boyfriend and proud relations was unbelievable – the story of Cinderella again – except that it was one of the ugly (in terms of character) sisters who won the prize. (Kate perhaps being my choice for the real Cinderella).

Unfortunately, forgetting the plot, the book was far too long and boring. Too many words (such as, “I should have said this, but I lied again) added nothing and you would have been none the worse had you just read the beginning and end of each chapter! When I finally thought, we were coming to the end, there were still 50+ pages to go and I was even hoping that Uncle Bill really had murdered Sadie! But no! NEGATIVE

As rubysmama rubysmama mentioned, I had also hoped that the necklace would have been saved and not incinerated. ⚰ I even checked on cremation rules regarding jewellery, metal parts etc. But there is no simple answer. In some crematoriums, everything is cremated, and melted metal, ceramic and other non-bone materials are removed before filling the urn. In other cases, all jewellery is removed beforehand, and, locally, any fancy handles and trimmings on the coffin are also removed before incineration - mainly for environmental reasons. Perhaps they are even resold to unsuspecting mourners ……… Let’s not think about it! Sorry, I'm diverging from the subject.

I finished the book before going to sleep one night. The following morning, I was unsure if I’d actually come to the end of this never-ending story – fortunately, it had ended as anticipated from very early on – a disappointment but I was glad it was over. POSITIVE?

I then went back to “Remember Me?” and, in one sitting, reached the place where Lexi broke an expensive glass leopard and hid the shards behind the cushion on a designer couch. That was painful!:help: The book was tossed – in spite of being a library book – but not before I read the final chapter. You can exchange Lara for Lexi, Josh for Eric, and Ed for Jon; the head-hunting for carpet design and a bit of amnesia for the ghost Sadie. (I hope I've remembered correctly). I didn’t need to read the 300 pages in between to find out roughly what had happened. 🤣

I cannot give “Twenties Girl” no stars so it will have to be just one for trying!
⭐

But I'm not too unhappy - I have almost finished my book for next month. Every sentence says something and I am more than happy to read every single word - it's a gem! :dancingblackcat:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Love your reviews gilmargl gilmargl , always know exactly what you think of the book. You have me curious about your choice for October, any clues ;)

As far as Twenties Girl, I am not a fan of Sophie Kinsella having previously attempted to read two of hers but hoped this one would be better. For me it wasnt, just not my sense of humour.

I found Sadie's constant shouting and acting like a spoilt brat annoying to say the least and Lara obsessed with her ex boyfriend , trying to get Sadie to brainwash him into liking her really silly. Parts of the story I quite liked but the majority rather predictable and pointless.

Would the police really even listen let alone spend resources on investigating the suspected murder of a 105 year old...I dont think so.

I hold my hand up and say that I did skip read a few chapters only because I value my sanity too much. Like the reviews above, it was long winded and could have been shortened which might have made it a better read...might.

I can only give this book ⭐

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I then went back to “Remember Me?”

[snip]

You can exchange Lara for Lexi, Josh for Eric, and Ed for Jon; the head-hunting for carpet design and a bit of amnesia for the ghost Sadie.
Interesting, as I thought Lara could easily be exchanged for Becky in the Shopaholic series. The other characters, maybe not so easily compared, though it's been a while since I read the Shopaholic series, so I'm fuzzy on the details. :lol:

(Kate perhaps being my choice for the real Cinderella).
I meant to mention Kate in my review, as I really liked her.

As far as Twenties Girl, I am not a fan of Sophie Kinsella having previously attempted to read two of hers but hoped this one would be better.
It sounds like Sophie Kinsella sticks to a specific writing style, and if you don't enjoy one book, you probably won't enjoy the others.

While reading some Goodreads reviews of Twenties Girl, I discovered that Sophie Kinsella is a pseudonym, and her first books were written under her real name, Madeleine Sophie Townley. The book under her real name had a pretty negative review, though. so don't think I'll be searching them out. :lol:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
This was a difficult read for me. I did not like the characters. Lara Lington was not likeable. She was immature, deluded, a liar and well, not very aware. And she regularly panicked. Even lied to herself. Her parents did not seem likeable. Her sister was nasty. Her uncle and wife and their daughter were irritating. The vicar was not too objectionable. But she had a small role. The cops seemed decent, but once again they had small roles.

I hoped when we saw the ghost again, it would get better. The ghost showed up at a most expensive restaurant to which our protagonist had agreed to take her client. Thankfully, the ghost did interrupt Lara's panicky and whiny reaction to her client's actually wanting to eat expensive food at an expensive restaurant. I read a little more after that.

At that point, I read some reviews on Goodreads to see if there was a chance this book got better. I read the reviews with spoilers. When I read that the protagonist would try to con her ex into a meeting(?), I realized that I would not be finishing this book. I made it to the part where Lara is at the home where Sadie died and the nursing staff had just realized that Lara was the one who suggested that the nursing staff had killed Sadie. Lara sees nothing coming in life. I won't say she's stupid, but I will say that her internal dialogue pretty much keeps her from doing much thinking or noticing what was actually going on around her.

Ugh! I quit at 18% on the e-reader and it was difficult to get that far. 👻 One star