Senior Cat Sick, Not Eating

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. I’m still struggling with her. She’s still barely eating. Called the vet today to ask if I can get subcutaneous fluids to give her at home. It’s been almost 3 weeks.
Yes, I have been giving my cat the subcut fluid twice a day for the past 2 days. It is nerve-racking when you first start but i think it will do them some good.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To all here with kitties suffering with Pancreatitis...I feel your pain, believe me! Right now as we speak I have one cat in the ER being treated for pancreatitis.

This cat is 17 years old, she has IBD and Stage II CKD. She was stable until about a week ago. Appetite fell off, she was more lethargic and hiding. Red flags!

I took her to local vet for sub-q fluids and shot of Cerenia (anti-nausea medication). She perked up a bit. Next day back to square one...and back to the vet for more sub-q fluids and another shot of Cerenia AND requested a Snap fPL blood test for pancreatitis. As I suspected, test showed "Abnormal". I knew I had to act fast. I took her in to the ER where she is now hooked up to IV for fluids and they put pain medication in the fluid as well as antibiotics.

Report this morning is cat is now eating, not hiding and has improved. She will be there at least one more day to completely stabilize her.

Having lost one cat to Pancreatitis, I can tell you this is nothing to fool around with! The best thing you can do is get the cat to an ER to be put on an IV drip soon.

Time is off the essence when you are dealing with Pancreatitis. Do not delay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I had the vet start Elvis on sub q fluids(just normal saline, I asked for lactated ringers). We’ll see what happens. She’s now 3 weeks into being sick and no improvement. Vet is at a loss and says the next step is an ultrasound. But I just am not sure I want to pay for that without knowing my kitty will pull though this.
I’m struggling to get calories into her. I’m mentally preparing for the worst. ☹

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I had the vet start Elvis on sub q fluids(just normal saline, I asked for lactated ringers). We’ll see what happens. She’s now 3 weeks into being sick and no improvement. Vet is at a loss and says the next step is an ultrasound. But I just am not sure I want to pay for that without knowing my kitty will pull though this.
I’m struggling to get calories into her. I’m mentally preparing for the worst. ☹
Hi Jludwick78, i think the most important things we want to do is to do our best for our kitties. I think subq fluids are good for them and it is what they will do at the clinic too. My cat is still eating some food and asking for them. I try to syringe feed if needed and give what he likes to see his appetite. Hoping all the best for Elvis.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m struggling to get calories into her. I’m mentally preparing for the worst.
It certainly is worth the money. You need answers. The vet needs answers. The cat will live longer if all questions are answered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buts she’s 17 years old. Aren’t US like $500? I just feel like no matter what they find it won’t change treatment. We are treating pancreatitis but it’s not working. If it’s cancer we won’t treat it.
Trust me, I hate this. This cat is my world. This sucks.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jludwick78 Jludwick78 I am so sorry your kitty has pancreatitis and is not eating. Regarding the fluids, the difference between Lactated Ringers and normal saline is minor in a cat with working kidneys. An ultrasound of the abdomen is about $200 around here. Talk to your vet about whether and how it might change treatment.

Good luck with Elvis. I hope she gets better.