Senior Cat Sick, Not Eating

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. New here. Just wanting some quick advice about my 17 year old girl, Elvis (yep, Elvis is a girl, lol).
Last Thursday she started vomiting and diarrhea and was acting weird and somewhat weak and lathargic. Took her to the vet Friday and they did all labs, urine and an abdominal X-ray. She was dehydrated so they gave her sub q fluids and a shot for nausea. All tests normal. Diagnosed with just a stomach virus.

Now here we are a week later and she won’t eat. She looks better, somewhat. Sometimes I can pet her and she’ll take a few bites but that’s it. I’ve tried everything. All her favorite foods. It’s like she’s afraid of it.

Called the vet. They gave her an appetite stimulant and pain meds. She’ll eat a few bites after the pain meds but that’s it. Vet said it could be pancreatitis. Actually this morning she’s barely purring but acts like she wants something from me.

Please give me any advice you can. Anyone experience this before? I’m frustrated and sad at the same time.

Could it be that she’s just dying?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Does she still have diarrhea? Did they give her an anti-nausea as well? My cat recently had issues and they gave her cerenia and mirtazapine and they did help and she did start eating again.

:crossfingers: and :hugs: to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had diarrhea on Friday before and at the vet. No bowel movement since a Friday. The vet gave her Cerenia on Friday and Mirtazapine Tuesday. Also Buprex for pain. She eats a few bites after the pain meds.
She is drinking water and urinating several times a day.

I’m thinking of trying syringe feeding. I’m taking her back to the vet tomorrow.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. You don't need to be sad. The problem is fixable.

Mirtazapine worked purrfectly for my cat. It tripled her wet food intake. But after hearing my cat meow her head off, I changed its name to meowsapine.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It very well could be Pancreatitis. A hallmark of Pancreatitis is that cats do not eat.

Have your vet do a SNAP fPL test, a simple blood test that can be done in their office and results knows about 15 minutes later.

A more precise test is the Spec fPL, a blood test also which is sent off to Texas A&M labs.

The mainstay of treatment is fluids, pain management, anti-nausea medications and keeping them eating.

I recommend you contact your vet soon and request this test. Pancreatitis can be very serious!

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is on Mirtazapine. But only had one dose.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What food are you trying to feed her? Wet, dry, combination?

Maybe try a lower fat wet food, do you have somewhere close by that you can get some tiki cat? my guys love this, and its fairly low fat, but high protein. I have read that some cats with Pancreatitis will eat, and do better with lower fat foods?

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She normally eats instinct cans. But I’ve tried fancy feast, Purina dry food, chicken baby food. Cats treats. Rotisserie chicken. Deli meat.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am surprised she is not eating the rotisserie chicken, mine eat that no matter what. I do think instinct is a little high fat. do you have a petstore nearby so you can pick up a few cans of this or that?

I have two places i look up cat foods. I do like high protein and moderate to low fat, and low carb.

I feed a lot of Tiki cat, its low fat, Almo nature chicken and green beans, and salmon and apple. some weruva foods, and some fussie cat super premium foods. I dont know if low fat would help her, i am in part suggesting low fat because i know that often people who have pancreatitis need to stay away from much fat or they have a lot of pain.

maybe check these two links for brands that are available for you, and pick the lowest fat ones that you can? Good luck to her, and do keep us updated, i will worry for your little girl! Let us know what your vet says tomorrow!

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats suffering with Pancreatitis do not eat period. Why? Because cat is in pain! You said she eats a few bites after the Buprenex; this is why.

Suggest you contact your vet today; explain the situation. Cat may need to be hospitalized on IV fluids at this point. Don't fool around with this!

I am speaking from painful experience having been down the rocky Pancreatitis road with three cats.

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow. Should’ve gone today. She’s peacefully sleeping away the pain meds so at least I know she’s currently comfortable. She wouldn’t eat even with the pain marks today but I think she was mad because I shoved a Pepcid AC down her throat. Hoping for some dinner time success.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she will eat later after she wakes up. There comes a point, in just a very few days that not eating becomes very dangerous. Do let us know what the vet says tomorrow! :crossfingers:

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If my kitty does have pancreatitis, is it ok to give her that GNC Ultra Mega high calorie booster gel that they sell at the pet store? It’s easy for me to put it in her mouth and I’ll take any calories over nothing at this point.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know, honestly i would take it into the vet and ask. Some ingredients may be iffy for a cat, especially a sick kitty.

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An update on Elvis. The vet says her pancreas enzymes are very elevated signaling pancreatitis. She’s getting more fluids, an antibiotics shot due to white count up, cerenia pills for nausea and pain meds.
I have to force her to eat even if it means syringe feeding.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. Bless her heart i wish she did not have this problem. Hopefully the medication will make her feel better and she will eat. Sending her hugs :grouphug:

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats suffering with Pancreatitis do not eat period. Why? Because cat is in pain! You said she eats a few bites after the Buprenex; this is why.

Suggest you contact your vet today; explain the situation. Cat may need to be hospitalized on IV fluids at this point. Don't fool around with this!

I am speaking from painful experience having been down the rocky Pancreatitis road with three cats.
Hi babiesmom5, i was posting in another post for IBD vs Pancreatitis and also saw you there. You have mentioned to have 3 cats with Pancreatitis issue. I need some advise! My cat is eating selectively on his favourite food and bonito flakes. He was diagnosed with diabetes and is on insulin from 2 weeks ago. Although the fPLI test shows "abnormal" in result for my cat, I want to know how it is to determine a confirmed Pancreatitis issue. He is going for ultrasound tomorrow but i am a little skeptical on the assessment from the vet and what i want is not to stress out my cat out of so many activities and what can we do for him. Thanks!

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An update on Elvis. The vet says her pancreas enzymes are very elevated signaling pancreatitis. She’s getting more fluids, an antibiotics shot due to white count up, cerenia pills for nausea and pain meds.
I have to force her to eat even if it means syringe feeding.
Hi Jludwick78, all the best for you. I am also hoping for the best for my kitty to be reviewing if he has pancreatitis tomorrow. *hugs*

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Jludwick78, all the best for you. I am also hoping for the best for my kitty to be reviewing if he has pancreatitis tomorrow. *hugs*

Thanks so much. I’m still struggling with her. She’s still barely eating. Called the vet today to ask if I can get subcutaneous fluids to give her at home. It’s been almost 3 weeks.