Semi-feral: Bring Them Inside Or Not?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unbelievably, it has already been a week since I "captured" Lucky and Ruby, took them to the vet, and brought them inside. They are doing well using the litter box (after just one accident) and have good appetites. They don't seem to be interested in escaping and they are very quiet. I visit with them multiple times a day to bring them meals and spend a few minutes, then visit right after work and right before bedtime, spending about an hour each time talking to them and petting Lucky -- he loves it! Sometimes I take a nap in the room!

They both know when I'm bringing food and hover around. Ruby rubs against my legs and lets me pet her when she gets treats, not always with food. She acts pretty much the same as she did outside. Lucky is very sociable and hangs out in the middle of the room, but Ruby usually goes into the box or a condo hole after eating. I would say Ruby is staying out a tiny bit longer, but not long. So far, they are not interested in toys, although Ruby did reach out a paw a few times for the laser. She also used the scratching post a few times. They stay on the ground, no interest in climbing the cat tree to look out the window, which surprises me.

Is there anything else I should be doing to socialize Ruby? I know she sees Lucky getting tons of petting, but she doesn't come out. She purrs and doesn't really seem scared, just a little skeptical maybe! Maybe depressed?? I don't know if just being in the room, talking to her, petting her as much as she will allow is how this works! Am I being impatient? What else should I try? Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A week is still a short period for a lot of cats. Don't worry! Sounds like you're doing everything right. I know it sucks to quarantine them (its really for the felv) for so long but looks like you have a nice room for them!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Kittyluv387! Thanks for the reassurance. I know that time and patience are key. I guess the fact that Lucky is so far ahead of Ruby (because he must have been a stray) makes me worry about Ruby not moving more quickly.

Since I last wrote, however, I'm happy to report that Ruby has been making some progress. She is usually out in the middle of the room on the rug with Lucky when I enter, then she stays out after a meal to clean herself instead of going right to her hiding spots. While I am sitting in a corner of the room, she is exploring more. She has gone into the barrel-like thing on the large cat tree, has jumped on the mattress where Lucky often hangs out on his blankie, and has jumped to the top level of the other cat condo and looked out the window. Today, she even used the litter box while I was there! Woo hoo! Baby steps, but they make me so happy!!

I am trying to let her set the pace, but I am adding a quick pet when I put down the food bowls. I kneel down and just rub my hand over her back, then put down the bowl. In the past, she would move several feet away, then slowly come back. Now she will flinch a bit, but she stays and just starts eating. I hope she will learn to like this "extra" petting, because she seems to like lots of petting when she eats treats.

I am still amazed that these cats are IN MY HOUSE!! It is so weird when I go outside and Ruby is not sleeping under her favorite bush or Lucky isn't laying on the patio. I kind of miss seeing them there, but I feel totally committed to keeping these kitties inside!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kittyluv387! Thanks for the reassurance. I know that time and patience are key. I guess the fact that Lucky is so far ahead of Ruby (because he must have been a stray) makes me worry about Ruby not moving more quickly.

Since I last wrote, however, I'm happy to report that Ruby has been making some progress. She is usually out in the middle of the room on the rug with Lucky when I enter, then she stays out after a meal to clean herself instead of going right to her hiding spots. While I am sitting in a corner of the room, she is exploring more. She has gone into the barrel-like thing on the large cat tree, has jumped on the mattress where Lucky often hangs out on his blankie, and has jumped to the top level of the other cat condo and looked out the window. Today, she even used the litter box while I was there! Woo hoo! Baby steps, but they make me so happy!!

I am trying to let her set the pace, but I am adding a quick pet when I put down the food bowls. I kneel down and just rub my hand over her back, then put down the bowl. In the past, she would move several feet away, then slowly come back. Now she will flinch a bit, but she stays and just starts eating. I hope she will learn to like this "extra" petting, because she seems to like lots of petting when she eats treats.

I am still amazed that these cats are IN MY HOUSE!! It is so weird when I go outside and Ruby is not sleeping under her favorite bush or Lucky isn't laying on the patio. I kind of miss seeing them there, but I feel totally committed to keeping these kitties inside!
:clap::cheerleader::salam::clap2::goldstar::hangin::vibes::vibes::heartshape::rock::wave2:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad to hear things are going so well. One of the feral cats I rescued lived in a closet for the first month he was indoors. The only reason I knew he was still there is because the litter box would be used and the food and water would all disappear. Then one day he decided to show himself and was coming to us for pets about a week after that.

He's still not good with strangers, but he's fine with us. Even sits in my lap sometimes.

I think if they don't see a hand coming they accept pets easier. The best spot seems to be the lower back, just by their tail. All my cats love being petted there.

I've heard that an outstretched hand looks like a paw with claws extended to them, but a closed fist looks like a head coming for head bumps. If you can keep your fingers curled into a loose fist she might be happier about being petted.

You're doing great though, I'm happy that everything is working out.

How's your indoor cat, still trying to get under their door?

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Norachan! Thanks for the story about your cat who lived in the closet for a month! Very reassuring! I think things are going OK, but I can't help but wonder if I should be working harder to get Ruby's trust. She seems pretty comfortable in the room and purrs a lot, but only lets me pet her when she is eating treats and she won't let me get too close except when I'm getting their meals ready. I don't know if just being there in the room, talking to them, etc. is enough. I think I have to try some new things to push her further, and yet I know I have to respect her pace and her space. I did just buy Jackson Galaxy's Feral Flower Formula so we'll see if that helps.

In about a week, I need to take them both back for a distemper booster so I will try gabapentin for Ruby. The vet had a hard time sedating her, had to increase the dose because she was so frantic, so I hope the gabapentin will work! I'm also going to bring a different carrier into their room, one made of a canvas-type material, and see if she will go inside for treats. So if the gabapentin isn't 100%, maybe I can get her into the carrier with treats.

In a little less than a month and a half, when they are tested again for FIV and FeLV and are found healthy (fingers crossed), it might be time to slowly introduce them to Palmer and Rosie. (By the way, Palmer is still interested in what is behind the door, but he rarely stations himself outside and doesn't try to get in!) Lucky is very sweet and friendly and is almost ready now to leave the room, but they really need to stay together and if I still can't pick Ruby up or if she is still keeping a distance, maybe they both need to stay in the safe room. How do you decide when to let them out? I would imagine they will disappear for days somewhere in the rest of the house.

OK, enough from me! Thanks to everyone for their support and good advice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you have to wait 6 more weeks for them to be retested for FIV and FeLV, don't stress yourself over introducing them to Palmer and Rosie yet. Just keep doing what you're doing.

With Ruby, have you tried laying down on the floor and letting her come over to sniff and rub up against you? One member used to sleep on the floor in the feral cat's room when it was first brought inside. The cat would only come near them at night when it was dark.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post an update and sing the praises of gabapentin! Today both Lucky and Ruby had to go back to the vet for distemper boosters. They have been inside about three and a half weeks. I took them for separate appointments because my vet is close and it would be easier to concentrate on one at a time!

Just like most house cats, I had to chase Lucky around for a minute since he was not lured into his carrier by treats, but I caught him without too much trauma, put him in the upended carrier, and he did really well at the vets. Lucky is turning out to be a real sweetie pie, even lets me pet his belly!

Ruby got gabapentin and it worked like a charm! Two hours before the appointment, I opened a 100 mg capsule (she is a bit over 9.2 pounds) and mixed the powder into tuna water. I added a few chunks of tuna and mashed it up a bit. She ate and drank it all. After a while, before she got too drowsy, I got her into her carrier with treats, something we have been practicing, and when we got to the vets, she was very sleepy. The vet tech just reached into the carrier and gave her the shot there. Back at home, she slept for about half an hour, then came out of the carrier. She was a little wobbly, but not dangerously so. Within another hour or two, she seemed almost back to normal. I was worried the dose was too much, but it was perfect. I'm so happy this worked so well because they both have to go back in a little over a month for blood work for a final FIV and FeLV test.

Ruby is doing a bit better, socialization-wise, but I'm trying to think of more ways to engage her and get closer to her. I do spend a few hours each day in their room, but I feel like I need to do something more when I am there with them. I tried putting food on my finger, but she leaned away from me and seemed scared. I put the food on a spoon and she did lick it. I tried sleeping on the mattress that is in the room, but no one seemed to care since they were also sleeping! Ruby doesn't like her food when I put the Feral Flower drops in it so I've been putting it in their water and spraying the cat perches.... not sure that is good enough. Anyone who has experience with these flower essences, please tell me how you use them!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's very good! I'm glad to hear the vet visits went so smoothly, I bet Ruby didn't even notice what was going on.

:clap::clap::clap:

The fact that they are comfortable enough to sleep with you in the same room actually shows how much they trust you, so that's a good sign too.

I've never used Flower Essences. Columbine Columbine have you ever used them? What did you use to win Asha over when you first brought her home?

Is Ruby interested in playing at all? How does she react to wand toys?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm also glad the vet visits went well. :clap2:

I don't know anything about Feral Flower drops. In fact, I've never even heard of them before.

About touching Ruby, I can't remember if any of us mentioned using a back scratcher, or really anything with a long stick. Just so she gets used to being touched, while keeping your hands safe. Might be something to consider.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Norachan and Rubysmama for your feedback! Yep, Ruby was totally out of it during the vet visit. Such a difference from her first visit when she climbed the walls and was absolutely terrified.

I do remember reading about using a long stick to touch a cat so I will try that! Ruby does let me pet her while she eats treats but not otherwise so maybe this stick-thing would be a way to pet her at other times.

Ruby is very watchful when I have a wand toy flying around or move a mousie up and down the scratching post, but she doesn't join in. Only one time did she ever reach out for a toy and once she kicked a ball that Lucky had pushed towards her. I think she might finally decide to play so I'll keep trying and I have a few toys that Palmer doesn't play with so I will bring them in. Lucky, on the other hand, plays like a maniac with his catnip mouse... I see him on the camera at night going crazy! When they were outside, it was the same. Lucky would jump around and play with leaves or race like a nut across the yard and Ruby stayed pretty calm and laid-back!

They both, especially Ruby, have just recently been exploring the tall cat tree which has four perches and allows a good window view. I have been happy about that but this morning Ruby was meowing a lot (she does talk to me when I am getting ready to feed them but not otherwise) and jumping on different levels and looking out the window in kind of an agitated way. It was odd because she sits at the second window on a lower cat condo and never has seemed upset. Maybe she saw something outside or maybe she suddenly decided she wants to get out. When I left for work, she was quiet and away from the window. Things have been going along SO incredibly well, it will be sad if Ruby suddenly starts to cry and wants to get out.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ruby doesn't like her food when I put the Feral Flower drops in it so I've been putting it in their water and spraying the cat perches.... not sure that is good enough. Anyone who has experience with these flower essences, please tell me how you use them!
I've never used Flower Essences. Columbine Columbine have you ever used them? What did you use to win Asha over when you first brought her home?
I have used flower essences in the past, and was lucky to have a friend who's trained in Bach's Flower Remedies to teach me how to use them. I'm not familiar with the Jackson Galaxy ones though.

I generally put flower essences into the water bowls (or the horses' water buckets). You can use them topically too, and in the food (if Ruby's unsure, you can always try an extra yummy, stinky treat to hide the taste). These are the instructions from Jackson Galaxy's website
There are several ways to give solutions to animals. Always do this first: Tap the bottom of the bottle against the palm of your hand (or shoulder, or other surface) approximately 5 – 10 times before administering. This activates the essence formula and should be done each time immediately prior to administering.

• Put a few drops in your hand, rub hands together and pet your animal’s head, body, ears, and/or paws. If animals resists touch, you can simply allow the drops to fall directly on their fur.
  • Add 3-5 drops to water and food (Remember more drops does not equal better results) Add new drops when you replace the water in the water bowl.
  • Use our optional spray top to mist a room, carrier, bedding, car interior, litter box area, stall, trailer, or other specific problem area. Misting the house or apartment is a great way to treat the whole household. No need to mist the animal directly. Some animals may not mind being misted however, and this is fine.
  • Apply a few drops to or mist a favorite toy.
When Asha came home, she was SO grateful in be in a warm, safe place with plenty of food that she bonded with me pretty quickly (despite living the feral life for probably 5-6 months....her spay scar was a dead giveaway that she'd been around people as a baby ;) ).

I spent a LOT of time just sitting with her. In fact, I pretty much camped out in her safe room every day, just doing my own thing and letting her come to me as and when she wanted. I played with her with wand toys a ton, too, and followed each play session with a meal or meaty treat. She really loved the natural lure attachments for Da Bird (feathers, fur, fleece etc). I didn't seeking out touch/petting at all, but let her initiate all contact and offered my hand so she could pet herself where she wanted.

I basically just sat back and let her do her thing and gain confidence gradually. It took time to introduce her to my resident cat and dogs, but she's ended up being a pretty happy, confident girl who rules this house with a firm paw!

This is Asha's story, if you're interested :) Kitten worries

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use lots of flower essences. You can spray them around the room a few times each day, put into water bowl or food as well as directly on the cat. I even put a few drops on the end of a brush or even a toy.

Here is a picture of a pet petter I made a few years ago that I used to start touching/petting.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I need a pep talk! Ruby and Lucky have been inside and separated from my two other cats for a month, with another month to go before their final FIV/FeLV test. They were at the vets a week ago for a distemper booster and several days after that, there was a change in both of them.

I'm not at all worried about Lucky, who must have been a stray since he is sweet and friendly, but he has stopped coming over for treats at our nightly treat time. He used to eat them in front of the two carriers and I took one carrier away to make more room, but I'll put it back and maybe he'll come back to eat. Not a big deal.

It is really Ruby I am worried about because she still eats treats, but unlike just a few days ago she no longer allows lots of petting during treat time. She allows maybe a single pet per treat, but she acts nervous and backs away or takes a treat and moves away to eat it. She seems afraid of me getting too close. She also is afraid of wand toys and did not like the petting stick I made this weekend. She seems perfectly comfortable in the room, sits high on the cat perch and looks out the window, greets me at the door for food, has a good appetite, uses the litter box, even purrs. I can see this going on forever, but it doesn't seem right and, of course, to let her out of the room, I think I need to be able to touch her and pick her up. We seem to be at a stand-still and actually going backwards!

The two of them are buddies, although they don't cuddle or interact too much, so one thought I had was that maybe Lucky should be released into the rest of the house before Ruby and she could get more attention and might warm up to me if she was by herself. I keep hoping that when she sees me petting Lucky she would get the idea how nice it would be, but apparently not!

Sorry for the long post! Any thoughts? Am I worrying for nothing? Maybe this will just take a lot longer than I hoped....

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The golden rule when working with feral cats is one step forward, two steps back. It's all part of the process. You can truly expect for their to be highs and lows and never really know what caused either.

The vet visit might have been somewhat traumatic and caused a bit of a set back. I would try an extra special treat. Try some canned tuna or plain cooked chicken. Also just put the wand toys away for awhile. I used to use a simple shoe string and hide it under a towel and then slowly or quickly pull. It was very nonthreatening and the cats loved it.

After awhile you can bring back out the wand toy and pet petter you made. Try putting some catnip on the ends or spray them with Feliway spray. Then just leave them in the room for the cats to sniff.

Remember this is a process that can truly take awhile. My first feral took a solid year to acclimate. The next one was much quicker. Now I am still working on the 3 I brought inside. It's been 7 months. There have been lots of ups and downs along the way.

You will experience this over and over again. Just stay calm and carry on. The little set back will usually work itself out in a week or two.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shadowsrescue, I REALLY appreciate your message. I just needed a little booster shot myself! There is no way I would let these cats out again, rest assured, but I am doing this alone and it is so wonderful to get feedback and hear calming words from people who have been there/done that.

Rubysmama, I do think Ruby knows her name! I talk to them all the time and call them by name -- well, sometimes Ruby-doo and Mr. Lucky!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Ruby knows her name, that's great. Then eventually you can start calling for her. You know, like "Ruby, want a treat?" That get my Ruby running into the kitchen. ;)

Not sure if you've seen this thread, but it's similar to yours, except the cat was adopted from a shelter, but is still very skittish. You might find it interesting.
Extremely Skittish Cat

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a difference a day makes! I decided to follow Shadowsrescue's advice and give Ruby and Lucky a special treat. I put a tiny bit of Beechnut Classics baby food chicken and broth (no onions, garlic, etc.) in a dish and mixed in some of the Jackson Galaxy Feral Flower essence. Ruby turned her nose up at this before. This time, they both lapped it up!

Ruby then jumped up on the cat tree. So I decided to push it a bit further. I put a little blob of the chicken on the end of a spoon attached to a stick and Ruby was hesitant, but then ate it all! THEN I put a little bit on my finger and she again hesitated, but not for long... she licked it off!

After about three or four times of licking it from my finger, I sat down on the floor and started packing up the food. All of a sudden, there was Ruby! She had jumped down and come over to me to see if I had more! She stayed a few feet away, but it was great that she even came over at all! So I opened the jar again and put a few more tiny amounts on my finger and she licked them all up! It was so wonderful to have her choose to be so close and not be fearful. I could have kept going for longer, but didn't want her to get an upset tummy or diarrhea.

Even just this little thing felt so great and hopeful! I need to keep the big picture in mind, stay calm and patient, and not get all worked up during the down times. Easy to say, easy to understand, hard to actually do! The support of folks on this forum and being able to read stories from others who have had similar experiences is truly invaluable!