Semi-feral: Bring Them Inside Or Not?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Holy cow! Overnight they used the litter boxes! Two BIG pees, one little pee, and two poops! No sign of tapeworms, which the vet said to look for. They must feel so much better! They used one of the potting soil boxes but also the plain Cat Attract Litter box. And they ate a nice breakfast. Such a relief.

My little resident nosy guy, Palmer, does like to hang out by the door, which is blocked by two gates so they can smell each other but not touch paws under the door. Just now, Palmer pulled down the tall wire gate, which is resting against the door and wall. Loud crash! It is a process to enter the room and I hate to make it more complicated, but I think I need to adjust things. To get into the room, first I put the wire gate (which has 5 panels) in a "U" shape around the door with me inside. Then I open the gate that is pressure-mounted to the door frame. Then I open the regular door. So far no newbie cats have even come near the door when I come in or go out.

Yesterday, Palmer jumped to the top of the wire gate and was able to get on the inside of that gate and I think would have been able to reach his little paws under the door. I have to find something to block the door that is more stable, yet lets air under the door because that room can get stuffy. I do have central air when necessary and when I was in the room for an hour or so, I opened one of the windows just a crack. Any ideas about keeping the resident cats away from the door?? (So far, Rosie is paying no attention!) Should I attach the wire gate somehow to the door frame and wall? All advice is welcome!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just had an idea about using a couple of Command hooks and bungee cords to keep the wire gate tight up to the door so Palmer can't knock it down. I love to MacGyver things! I think I'll give this a try!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The MacGyvering worked! The wire gate (made from white coated wire shelving panels from Home Depot) is now bungee-corded to a door knob on one side and to the pressure-mounted gate on the other side. It is stable and working very well and Palmer can't mess with it. I just have to undo the door knob side, turn the panels into a "U" shape around the door with me inside, open the pressure-mounted gate and the regular door, then I'm in! It goes quickly and so far no one has tried to get out. I'll send a photo if I can figure out how to do that!

Ruby and Lucky are doing so well. When I'm in the room, Lucky will take lots and lots of petting and Ruby stays in the box with holes that I created or under the cat tree, but she looks at me and seems calm. I read out loud and they seem to really relax and go to sleep. It is warm and humid outside but I'm in their room now before it gets too hot and I have opened windows just a bit. I'll close them before I leave and turn on the A/C if needed.

I am trying to keep a regular feeding schedule. They are very excited when I come in with food and Ruby is definitely out and ready to eat! Treat time is even more exciting! Ruby loves to push against Lucky and he is very patient with that, but yesterday he did grab her and they had a small scuffle. I don't think it was going to turn into a fight. Food time is the best time to try to pet Ruby and she has let me do that a few times. I want to pet her more, but am trying to take it slowly and pet her when she is OK with it.

There is a catnip toy in the room, which has moved around a bit, and a little stuffed mouse, which no one seems to care about. I think it might be too soon to bring in more toys, but I'm not sure. I have some battery-operated toys with feathers that swing around, some with balls in tubes, etc. that the other cats don't play with anymore. Ruby was always afraid of wand toys when I tried them outside, but I'd like to give them another try at some point. They do sleep alot, just like they did outside, but I worry they will get bored!

I can do it, but it seems like forever to keep them in here for 60 days for re-testing for FIV and FeLV! I do need to take them back for distemper boosters in a month and Ruby definitely needs lots more time to be socialized, so it may work out just fine. And I will actually need to keep them isolated more than 60 days to do introductions, etc. I think Lucky will be more than ready to leave then, but I feel they should be un-isolated together. I am so happy that they are buddies. Ruby was by herself outside for two years, but during the last year with Lucky, I think she decided that having a friend was a good idea! She was the dominant one and he followed her around, but she loved to rub against him when I went out to feed them.

Sorry, I can't seem to write short posts! Any thoughts or advice are most welcome! I don't want to just sit back, happy with how well it seems to be going, and not be doing something I should be doing!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The MacGyvering worked! The wire gate (made from white coated wire shelving panels from Home Depot) is now bungee-corded to a door knob on one side and to the pressure-mounted gate on the other side. It is stable and working very well and Palmer can't mess with it
:flail:Oh Lord! The lengths us cat people go to! I'm glad to hear all your hard work has paid off. Hope Palmer can be persuaded to stay away from the door now.

It sounds like everything is going really well. You're actually doing the first step of the introductions without realising it. You've got the new cats and the resident cats smell on you, so they are getting used to that. Their smell mingled with your smell is what they recognise as "home", so by the time the 60 days is up they'll already be used to the idea that there are other cats in the family.

Make sure you give your resident cats plenty of attention and a few treats when you come out of Lucky and Ruby's room, so they associate the new cat smell with good things.

How about making them a treat dispenser to keep them occupied?

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Norachan, I love that treat dispenser! It will be my weekend project! Thanks also for letting me know that I have already started introductions. I hadn't thought of it that way! I'm going to give Palmer some extra attention right now!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am trying to figure out how to add photos here. I do have two of the new door system and I am going to take photos of the cats, but I am not tech-saavy and I can't find instructions on TCS to add photos. I only have photos that I took with my phone and I can e-mail them. I don't know what to do after that!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like things are really going well. I'm sure Ruby having Lucky with her is helping keep her from being too scared.

One suggestion I've read before, is before you open the door to their room, "announce" yourself, by saying something like "dinner time", "who wants treats", basically anything, just so they hear and recognize your voice, and know when they hear your voice, you are the one who will be coming into their room. That way, too, they'll learn to associate your voice with good things.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom, shadowsrescue, and rubysmama for the support and nice comments!

I am horrible at this posting-pictures thing, even after reading the info sent by shadowsrescue and trying to figure out how to find my pictures on my computer! (SO SAD!) I am going to try something here, but I don't think it will work! When I get back to work next week Tuesday, I have lots of techie people there who will help me so I will add pictures then.

Hey, I got one picture added! I have another picture, but this took a while to post so I'm going to just leave it for now with the one so I don't mess things up and lose this one!

This photo shows the closed door to the cats' room with the pressure-mounted gate, which has foam insulation pieces around some of the legs to make the spaces narrower. In front of the gate is the 5-panel wire shelving unit held with bungee cords at either end. The cord on the right goes to a closet doorknob. The cord on the left is attached to the gate. When I want to enter, I just remove the bungees on the right side and swing the wire out like a door opening! I make a little "U" shape with me inside and open the gate and the door. You can see a CD player on the ground where I have harp music sometimes playing. And there is a draft dodger thing on the ground which is hardly needed now.
20180914_122724.jpg

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is just awesome. I have a 3 panel wire barrier that is only 4'. It had always worked well, but now one of my boys is jumping it easily. I just bought the 12' pieces that were cut to 6' and will have 4 panels. I need to make it easy to get into the room without moving the entire thing.

Thank you for sharing.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another good day with the cats! Eating well, using the litter boxes, and mostly napping. Ruby is getting a little braver and is moving around the room a little more, although she usually stays in the box or the condo. Lucky, on the other hand, lays down in the middle of the room and is always available for lots of petting. I'm going to try to post some photos. Lucky is gray and white with just one eye and Ruby is a tortie. Lucky looks fat in these photos, but he isn't! He is a good solid cat, though!

20180916_154708_resized_1.jpg
20180916_123630_resized_1.jpg
20180916_085339_resized_2.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, they look really relaxed! That's a very nice cat room you've set up for them.

What happened to Lucky's eye, do you know? One of mine has only got one eye too, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love that cat tree! The holes look nice and big. Do you mind me asking where you found it?

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, they do look pretty relaxed! Ruby less so and she stays inside her two main hiding places except for meal time and treat time. I'm letting her set the pace, but I'm dying to get her out wandering around with Lucky! I tried a laser pointer with her and she watched it, but didn't chase after it.

The vet didn't know what happened to Lucky's eye. She said it could be from birth, from a cat fight, or from an infection. She did say that he has no sight in that eye. He gets along just fine (like Norachan's) and it doesn't seem to bother him. The only time I have noticed a "problem" is when I put a treat on the ground, he sometimes seems to miss it and I have to point to it.

I have three cat trees in the room. One is about four feet high at a dormer window, one is lower with one hole and is against a wall, and the one in the photo with two holes is at the second window. The cats don't seem to want to go up high at all, not even to look out the window. Not sure what that means!

I ordered the one in the photo from Chewy. It got good reviews and the price was reasonable. It is called "Frisco 24-in 2-Story Cat Condo, Cream." Here is the URL: Frisco 24-in 2-Story Cat Condo, Cream

I'm going back to work tomorrow and feel sad that I won't be able to sit with the cats quite as often as I'd like, but I might take a few half-days! And I am just a few years away from retirement so I have promised them all that I will retire early if they need me at home!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the link. I ordered one. I am always looking for something that has a nice large opening and that isn't huge. I needed something on the small side for the family room.

I am just so happy that all is going so well. They were certainly meant to be inside!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for posting the pics. They do look relaxed, though Ruby does seem to have a bit of an "annoyed attitude", or perhaps it's just "tortitude". Speaking of tortitude, @Mamanyt1953 loves torties, and I know once she's back on the site full-time, she'll want to follow your Ruby tortie's progress.

Speaking of progress, they (and you) are doing amazingly! Especially for feral Ruby. I've read of non-feral cats who hide in their new home longer than Ruby has. All your planning has paid off. :thumbsup: