Semi-feral: Bring Them Inside Or Not?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, two good things happened today! First of all, at an appointment with my vet for one of my indoor cats, she said she is willing to take on Ruby and Lucky, the two outside cats! She told me the best day/time to make appointments so she will have extra time if needed, and we discussed what will be done (shots, bloodwork, flea stuff, etc., etc.), and isolating them until we know they are healthy. She worked with feral cats during her vet training and even has had one or two in her current practice so I'm super happy that she is on board.

The second thing that happened is my new carrier arrived! It is the one that shadowsrescue suggested (IRIS Deluxe Pet Travel Carrier) and it is a very nice size with a large opening. I put it together, left off the door for now, and put it on the back patio where Ruby and Lucky eat. After treats, they both went over to investigate and Ruby even stuck her head in! I'll move it just slightly closer and work up to putting her treats inside. Eventually, I hope this will be the way I catch these cats for their vet appointment. I'm still working on getting "their" room ready, but I am feeling pretty optimistic that they'll be inside by the cold weather!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such good news. I am so happy that your vet is willing to work with you. My old vet was just wonderful with my feral cats.

You might start putting some treats into the carrier during the day. Maybe it will entice them to go inside. Just be sure to remove them at night fall so other critters don't find them. My boys loved when I sprinkled some catnip inside as well.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, two good things happened today! First of all, at an appointment with my vet for one of my indoor cats, she said she is willing to take on Ruby and Lucky, the two outside cats! She told me the best day/time to make appointments so she will have extra time if needed, and we discussed what will be done (shots, bloodwork, flea stuff, etc., etc.), and isolating them until we know they are healthy. She worked with feral cats during her vet training and even has had one or two in her current practice so I'm super happy that she is on board.

The second thing that happened is my new carrier arrived! It is the one that shadowsrescue suggested (IRIS Deluxe Pet Travel Carrier) and it is a very nice size with a large opening. I put it together, left off the door for now, and put it on the back patio where Ruby and Lucky eat. After treats, they both went over to investigate and Ruby even stuck her head in! I'll move it just slightly closer and work up to putting her treats inside. Eventually, I hope this will be the way I catch these cats for their vet appointment. I'm still working on getting "their" room ready, but I am feeling pretty optimistic that they'll be inside by the cold weather!
As I said before, time and patience is necessary. With our cats, it took roughly 3 months, from the time their mother first brought them around as kittens ,before they came inside on their own. When they have a Vet appointment, however, getting them into their carriers usually involves some bloodletting- mine, mostly- even after almost 5 years for the youngest ones. It's not so bad since we started using a towel, but it still isn'the a lot of fun. The only good thing is the Vet gives a bulk rate, and we only get charged for 1 office visit.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
NY cat man, that is great that your vet gives you a bulk rate for your cats! And yes, I hear you about being patient. I am going to proceed slowly and carefully. I did take shadowsrescue's recent advice and put a few treats in the new carrier. I ran an errand and came back to find the treats gone, with Ruby resting nearby! I'll slowly put them further and further into the carrier.

I wonder if you have ever tried to give them gabapentin to calm them down a bit before their vet visit. I can't use it now since my two are still outside, but once they are safely in the house, you could try it. It is a drug that you add to their food and it just slows them down a bit and makes them easier to handle by you and by the vet during the exam. I have used it for one of my indoor cats who is a very feisty cat and won't allow much of an exam, let alone bloodwork. Of course, with three cats, you need to monitor who eats what! Just a thought!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the gabapentin. I just used it 2 weeks ago on one of my feral boys who is now living inside. I had to get him to the vet, but knew getting him into the carrier would be difficult. I also knew that once to the vet, they would need to sedate him. I decided to try gabapentin. I have him one dose the night before in the evening. I use a product called pill masker that is bacon flavored to wrap around the tiny capsule. I then stuck a treat to it and down the hatch it went. I gave another dose in the morning before the vet appointment. I have never been able to hold this cat. He was so relaxed that I held him up against my body for awhile. It was easy to get into the carrier. The bonus was that he did not need to be sedated at the vet. He was great.

I would never ever use this on an outside feral. Way too dangerous.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NY cat man, that is great that your vet gives you a bulk rate for your cats! And yes, I hear you about being patient. I am going to proceed slowly and carefully. I did take shadowsrescue's recent advice and put a few treats in the new carrier. I ran an errand and came back to find the treats gone, with Ruby resting nearby! I'll slowly put them further and further into the carrier.

I wonder if you have ever tried to give them gabapentin to calm them down a bit before their vet visit. I can't use it now since my two are still outside, but once they are safely in the house, you could try it. It is a drug that you add to their food and it just slows them down a bit and makes them easier to handle by you and by the vet during the exam. I have used it for one of my indoor cats who is a very feisty cat and won't allow much of an exam, let alone bloodwork. Of course, with three cats, you need to monitor who eats what! Just a thought!
Yes, we tried that, but it made no difference that I could notice. We also tried something we got from the vet that worked like an aerosol, but it didn't work well enough to justify the cost.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
20180813_180753.jpg 20180813_180753.jpg IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0181.JPG IMG_0180.JPG Avery, by way of encouragement, meet Miss Eleanor; so named by our late next-door neighbor. She is 3-ish, and has been TNR-ed some time in the past. As you can see, she is friendly enough, and we may well bring her inside before winter. The only hangup may be in how the other cats react to her, and vice-versa.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, Miss Eleanor looks very sweet. I love orange kitties! NY cat man, I hope your other cats welcome her! Thanks for posting those photos and for the encouragement! I think I'll need it!

I guess I was very overly optimistic thinking I'd get Ruby in within a week or so! Hah! (Lucky can be picked up and SHOULD be easier to get in a carrier.) Last night, I moved her food bowl a little closer to the new wide-open carrier so she would feel comfortable with it as "part of the landscape" as shadowsrescue says! No problem. When it was treat time right before dark, I put treats down on the patio as usual but nearer the carrier. Still no problem. BUT when I reached over a bit and put a treat just inside the carrier, she didn't take the bait! I thought sure she would take one step and get that treat. Nope. Just looked at it. (I have put treats in the carrier during the day and they disappeared so hopefully one of the cats is going inside when I'm not around. I need to get my trail camera working again.) As everyone is saying: time and patience! Moving slowly, at the cat's pace. Not within a week, but before winter... that could be my goal!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Miss Eleanor looks very sweet. I love orange kitties! NY cat man, I hope your other cats welcome her! Thanks for posting those photos and for the encouragement! I think I'll need it!

I guess I was very overly optimistic thinking I'd get Ruby in within a week or so! Hah! (Lucky can be picked up and SHOULD be easier to get in a carrier.) Last night, I moved her food bowl a little closer to the new wide-open carrier so she would feel comfortable with it as "part of the landscape" as shadowsrescue says! No problem. When it was treat time right before dark, I put treats down on the patio as usual but nearer the carrier. Still no problem. BUT when I reached over a bit and put a treat just inside the carrier, she didn't take the bait! I thought sure she would take one step and get that treat. Nope. Just looked at it. (I have put treats in the carrier during the day and they disappeared so hopefully one of the cats is going inside when I'm not around. I need to get my trail camera working again.) As everyone is saying: time and patience! Moving slowly, at the cat's pace. Not within a week, but before winter... that could be my goal!
She is a sweetheart, all right, but a demanding one. If she spots me working out in the yard, expecially if I am kneeling down, she will come up behind me and either head-button or nip at my elbow for attention, then climb up on my lap. Sometimes, however, she will climb up on my back and lay down with her chin resting on my shoulder. Now, how can you reject a cat like that? Even if she IS feral?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a sweetheart, all right, but a demanding one. If she spots me working out in the yard, expecially if I am kneeling down, she will come up behind me and either head-button or nip at my elbow for attention, then climb up on my lap. Sometimes, however, she will climb up on my back and lay down with her chin resting on my shoulder. Now, how can you reject a cat like that? Even if she IS feral?
We're kitten-sitting a new addition (not ours) while the owner is away, and he's become a holy lovable terror. He rivals a highly bite trained Police k-9 as he lunges and grabs your hands, arms, etc. and won't let go until you gently remove him by the scruff, and he screams in protest the whole time. His "time out" is in a tall laundry basket, which he learned to scale and escape to freedom in about 8 minutes total. Today, he did the lunge/play thing at my face, I let out a yell and he went "MEEP!" and ran off, LOL. He's also obsessed with shoe strings and baggy pants.
Demanding ones are the most entertaining.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love hearing other people's stories and seeing the photos! I am making progress with Ruby and Lucky. Just before dark, which is treat time, Ruby is now going all the way into the carrier when I put the treats in there. In fact, she just sat in there for a few minutes last night, even after the treats! Of course, the door is not yet on the carrier so it probably feels kind of cozy and safe in there now! I have ordered a second carrier for Lucky and he likes catnip, so I will also try that to lure him in. My vet is willing to see both of them on the same day, so I am brainstorming ways to get them either at the same time or within a few hours of each other. I think if one hears/sees the other being locked up, he or she will run away. I am operating alone on this, but might see if a friend would be able to help. All advice welcome!

If shadowsrescue is listening, I have a question about that 41" Regalo gate that you used. Did you put it in a door frame so when you opened the door, the cats wouldn't rush out? If so, did it fit OK with the door closed? Didn't get in the way of the door knob? And did you find the bars were narrow enough so cats couldn't sneak through? I was going to Home Depot to get those wire shelves and I thought I could kind of attach them to all/some of the baby gate if the bars of the gate are too wide.

In the cats' future room I think I'm going to put the futon mattress (covered with waterproof covers) on the floor and remove the wooden frame. Just too many little nooks and crannies for them to hide underneath that futon.

So I'm moving ahead, but starting to feel sad and scared for Ruby and Lucky. They are in for some stressful days! Me, too!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the 41" gate, some of the slats were on the wider size. It just depends on the size of your cats. The boy I brought inside was large so he could not get through. Yet when I did introductions, my smaller cats did try to squeeze through. Yet you it can easily be amended.

I did put it in the door frame and my door closed easily. I always had a sturdy large pillow or chair pad outside the door in case I needed to gently push them back as I came into the room.

Please don't feel sad for them. It will be a transition for all of you, but they will be safe, warm and loved. There will be hard days, but you no longer have to worry about them being injured/hurt/killed by predators of any kind.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shadowsrescue, thank you for the speedy reply! I REALLY appreciate your advice and encouragement. A few days ago, leaving the house on my way to work early in the morning, I saw Lucky way back in my yard, in the process of playing with/killing a bunny. And it made me even more determined to get these cats inside. I know I will do my best to give them a good life. Thanks so much for sticking with me through this!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been in your situation many times. It can be challenging, but so rewarding in the end. We are all her for help and encouragement. It certainly can be stressful, but in the end we all love our cat so much.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update. Everything is ready for Lucky and Ruby for their "safe room" and all extra stuff has been cleared out. I have a vet appointment in two weeks for both of them. So... there is just the catching to do! Both of them will now go all the way into the carriers and eat their treats, with Lucky just becoming more comfortable within the last day or two. If this keeps going well, this weekend I plan to put the doors on the carriers and tie them open.

The carriers are right next to each other so I envision, on the morning of their 11am appointment, I will give them treats instead of breakfast and quietly and quickly close and latch the carrier doors. And I will be a nervous wreck! Every night before I go to bed, I go over this process, trying to think of the very best way to do it. They are always together so I would like to catch them both at once, even though it might be harder. Any advice is welcome!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One idea that might help you is to go ahead and catch them now. You could then either try your luck at getting them into the carriers the morning of the vet appointment or ask the vet for some gabapentin to give them cats. It works so well to make a very afraid kitty pretty calm. I just wouldn't ever use something like this when they are outside.

The first feral I brought into my house over 5 years ago, came inside first and then 2 weeks later we went to the vet. I just kept feeding him in the carrier. The morning of the appointment, I placed a small bit of food in the back, blocked the door with a sturdy cushion and then zipped him up.

Getting them inside first might take some of the pressure off of you the morning of the appointment.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... that is definitely something to consider! It would be a lot less stress on the day of the appointment. However, shouldn't I worry about fleas and diseases spreading to my other cats? That is the only reason I figured getting them to the vet and tested first would be the safest for the inside cats.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as you keep the cats separated they won't transfer any illness. Now fleas could be a problem. My outside boys never had fleas. Just something to think about.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things are going along smoothly and I can't wait to get Ruby and Lucky inside! "Gotcha" date is about a week and a half away. I put the baby gate up in front of their room so the inside cats get used to it. I may get some foam or cardboard tubes to put around a few of the gate legs to narrow-up the spaces between them just to be extra safe. I also put together that gate using the coated wire shelves. It really WAS super-easy to do! I am not 100% sure if I will use that at first, but definitely when it comes time to introduce outside cats to inside cats.

Today I put the doors on the carriers and put a small but heavy rock to hold each open. Ruby went right in for her treats. Lucky was a little suspicious, sniffing around and acting nervous, but within a minute, he was in the carrier eating treats, too!

As far as catching them, I spoke with my vet and she strongly recommended just doing it on the morning of their appointment, not in advance. I explained how well it worked for shadowsrescue, continuing to feed them in their carriers, but my vet is afraid they will not go into the carriers again. And no gabapentin until she sees them. So I feel I should follow my vet's advice and hope for the best.

I recently read a website with some good ideas about taming feral cats. Then at the very end, it recommended that you do NOT try to bring a feral cat older than three years inside. My heart sank because Ruby is about 3 or 4 years old, but I couldn't bring Lucky inside (he once had to have been a pet) without his buddy Ruby! And I now consider Ruby semi-feral as she really lives in my backyard, eats treats out of my hand, and lets me pet her. As much as I hated reading that advice, I really have a good feeling that this will work out just fine.