Seeking Advice On A Sick Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dilute the white vinegar until you can barely smell it. The smell maybe putting her off.

She sleeps at your house because she feels safe. You are giving her a sense of safety and security. No one can ask for more than that from anyone else.
The smell of vinegar on her coat has vanished, one day later I had cleaned it off with a few pet wipes.
Anyway Viola hasn't groomed since Sunday evening. After the vinegar, she groomed herself thoroughly, it was the last time I saw he doing it.

As for the sleeping, I don't think she's sleeping only because she's feeling safe, but mainly because she's feeling unwell and is weak...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I came home from work yesterday, Viola was perky and alert, she was quick and happy, like I had never seen her before.
I knew it was the effect of the Cypro that I had given her 5 hours earlier.

But I was expecting she had been eating all her food. She had only eaten 20 grams of it, but she was telling me she was hungry. I showed her her dish, she just licked some of it and then started meowing again.

About an hour later she went totally off, she laid on the sofa and wouldn't move. I gave her the usual evening aerosol and her shot of Baytril, but she didn't move. She curled on me later, while I was watching the TV.

This morning she was in the same position as I left her last night. She was totally catatonic, she barely responded to my cuddles and kisses.
I gave her another half pill of Cypro (2 mg), then she did the morning aerosol, took her 6 ml of Nutribound, but didn't want to touch her food.
I pushed some food in her mouth with my finger, but she wasn't too happy with it.

This morning I weighed her. Viola lost 80 grams since Monday night, now she's 1.960 kg (4 lbs 5 oz).

I'm texting the vet every morning with the updates.
Yesterday the vet told me that the chances to find her dead in the morning, or when I come back from work are rather high.
This morning the vet told me that we have to consider the euthanasia as one of the more likely options.

Tomorrow we have a check-up visit with a possible ultrasound. The vet told me that tomorrow we'll talk about it, and meanwhile I and my wife have to get ready for it :bawling:

It's so unfair, I never get to save a cat from its sad fate :bawling:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just come back from home during my lunch break, she was weak and sad... She hadn't eaten, I put the wet food in her mouth a bit at the time, 40 grams in all...

When she got down the couch to take a short walk, she couldn't stand :bawling:

I can't give up without knowing why... :(

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
It's so unfair, I never get to save a cat from its sad fate :bawling:
You have already done more for Viola than she could have ever asked for.

What are you hoping to achieve? Death comes for all of us, whether it's a few days from now or a few years from now. At least she got to feel your love in her time of need. Much better than being run over by a car or from starvation at the side of the road where you found her all alone.

Instead she spends her days curling up in your lap and getting all of the love and affection you give her :purr:

I've just come back from home during my lunch break, she was weak and sad...
Are you able to take the rest of the day off or tomorrow to spend it with her?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came home two hours earlier, to stay with her. We were out in the sun, Viola has just had a seizure!
I just texted the vet, I'm waiting for a call from her... I think it's over :bawling::bawling::bawling:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I came home two hours earlier, to stay with her. We were out in the sun, Viola has just had a seizure!
I just texted the vet, I'm waiting for a call from her... I think it's over :bawling::bawling::bawling:
I am sorry to hear that Antonio, please be strong. I am here if you ever need to talk.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody for your strong and incredible support!

Viola got her set of wings last night at 7:48 pm, and flew to the Rainbow Bridge where she will feel no more weak and sick.

Yesterday I felt like I had to go home earlier, so I took two hours from work and went home and stayed with her. We walked in the courtyard, in the very warm sun of this unusual February. She was active and quick, I was happy that she was feeling better. She would explore, smell and investigate everything around her. She also tried to play with the semi-ferals in my garden, but they didn't appreciate much. She laid in the sun, then she chose to lay in a large planter I have in the backyard, there are no plants in it, just dirt and grass. She was so relaxed.

We've been out an hour, it was 5:15 pm, and I decided to text the vet to ask her what time we could have had an appointment on Friday (today) for the ultrasound scan. As soon as I sent the message, I saw Viola chewing something in the planter. I thought she had something vegetal stuck in her mouth, so I walked towards her to help her get rid of what she had in her mouth.
But I saw she had nothing in her mouth, and that she was starting shaking with all her body, and was going to fall from the planter. I took her gently and laid her on the ground.
She was having a seizure, a violent one, a long one, nearly 3 minutes!
I was sure she was going to die in my hands.
As soon as she was feeling a bit better, I took her inside and on the sofa, where she laid in a state of unconsciousness. She was breathing heavily, but was totally out... She couldn't see my hands before her eyes, I am sure she didn't even know I was there.
It took an hour for Viola to wake up from that state and she tried to stand, but she couldn't.

I had texted the vet again right after the seizure had gone, and the vet told me to wait for a call from her, because she was out on a home visit.
Later on I was told to go to the practice at 7 pm.
Between 6:30 pm and 7 pm Viola tried to walk in the room, but she was very weak. Anyway she managed to reach her tray and she pooped, then she fell asleep again.

I was glad I had decided to go home earlier, or I would have never known what she had had. At this point, I can't tell if she had previous seizures while we were away. But this could explain why occasionally she was peeing or pooping on the floor, she was mentally confused for something going on in her head.

At 7 pm we were at the practice (it's very close to home), the vet said it was time to let her go. I was given enough time to tell her that I loved her and I was lucky to have lived with her even for a short time. I explained her what was going to happen, that she was going to sleep tight and that she would have woken up in a wonderful place, with many friends to play with. A place where she wasn't weak and sick anymore.
Then I told the vet we were ready.
The vet couldn't find a vein for the injection, at last she succeeded. She prepared two syringes, one with the anesthetic, the other one with the Tanax.
The vet told me that Viola was so weak that the only anesthetic would have done the job... And so it was.
The vet did the second shot just to be sure, but Viola was on the Bridge already.

I'm desperate, again... :(
I wasn't able to save her, I failed her, I'm sure I could have done better.
I'm a failure with cats, they all die in my hands :bawling:

Forgive me Viola :bawling:

She will be cremated this morning, I'll have her ashes right away.

Last edited:

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Antonio, you are NOT a failure with cats.. you supported her and loved her in the last days of her life. Because of you and your wife she did not die alone.

You have a gift of caring for sick cats that need you... Viola is at the Rainbow Bridge looking down... with love and gratitude. :angel: :hugs:

Lisa and angel Maggie

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio,

I am so very sorry about Viola. You did all you could. Now she is with Lola and Pallina. Docs Mom is right. You have a gift.

Hugs,

Mia

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm at the crematorium now, waiting for the process to complete. I'll get her ashes back in about half an hour :bawling:

You should have seen her, she was so beautiful till the end. Her coat was still soft and silky, poor soul :bawling:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Antonio,

You are such a good person. I remember when you first joined and Lola was sick.
You did all you could for her.

Viola is at peace now. There are others who need you.

Hugs,

Mia

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you found Viola you didnt think you had the strength to care for her, do you remember? You found that strength. You and your wife took on a big responsibility that others would have turned away from. You made sure Viola had the best of food ,care and all your love. You are far from being a failure, you are indeed a wonder. Dont feel sad, feel blessed that you were the one who was there for her. I'm sure more cats will find you on the future and I know you will find the strength again to do your very best for them, that is your gift.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've returned from the crematorium, Viola's ashes are home with us now, along with many other cats' ashes.

The man at the facility gave me enough time to say some more things to Viola before it was time to begin.
I also clipped some fur from her, I'll put it inside the urn.

Thanks so much everybody for your strong and incredible support in these days!

I know that other cats and kittens might need my help, but I feel so useless...

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Take some time to grieve, dear friend. Then you can help the others. You have the gift of helping those who need it.There is a beacon of light shining on you that helpless kitties have seen...they know where to go.

Hugs,

Mia

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend, Antonio. I am sorry to hear she passed on.

You are definitely not a failure to helping cats though. You've read my posts and know how hard I am on myself, so this coming from me should mean something to you.

You are Viola's hero. There was no obligation for you to take her in and keep her for that long, but you did, even though you went against your judgement in the other thread of not doing so. You provided her a warm roof over her head in her time of need and a body to sit beside/on to keep her company while you watched TV :).

I mentioned it before, but maybe you are here on this planet for the purpose of taking care of end-of-life/palliative care cats. You did way more than I would say 99% of the human population would have ever done. If people would even have stopped for her on the road, at most they would have just dropped her off at a vet clinic to be euthanized. But instead Viola got to feel your love. You have no idea how much that means for an animal that is afraid, hurt and confused.
------------------------
Although I am an absolutely terrible artist/new, if you provide a picture (different from before, up to you?) I would love to do a drawing about her. Keep in mind it would be in no way realistic or good, my style currently is cartoony and colourful. So it might not be your taste.
-------------------------
If you ever need to talk, even privately, feel free to PM me your email and we can talk there as well as here.

:alright:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You gave Viola comfort, safety, love, and joy. That is all anyone can do for another. That is all she asked for.

When I was younger I told my vet when I put our 19 year old cat to sleep, that having pets was the only thing you fail at even when you win. She said, you win when you give comfort, you win when you stop the pain and open the door to the future.

Sometimes I remember what she said, sometimes I forget it, but always I remember our purpose is to give comfort and stop pain. This you did.

Without you, Viola would have died of thirst in the field alone. Remember that when you think you failed.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A year ago this time of the day, Viola, the cat I had found along a road, suffered a seizure and had to be put to sleep...
She was an elderly and sick cat that someone had dumped. She stayed with us for a few days only but was able to leave a great mark in my heart. She loved me as I had been with her forever, she was so sweet.

Viola, you're still in my thoughts, one day I will kiss you again.