Seeking Advice On A Sick Cat

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bobo had large, long ears too, and a long nose to go with them. I always told him he was adopted because he didn't fit in with all my other pug nosed, round eared others!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks much better than I expected. She looks like someone who is recovering from an accident and a rough time. Food is always a good thing, particularly when you haven't had much for awhile. That she feels safe enough to sleep so deeply is wonderful.

More prayers every evening and morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She welcomed me from work in a very cute way, lots of rubbing, meowing and purring.
It seems that chicken and pumpkin doesn't suit her either, so I switched back to chicken for kittens, this is what she likes, definitely!

She wanted me next to her on the couch, she's grooming like a model now. Later on it'll be time for another aerosol session, something that she hates!

I also found that she had peed halfway on the puppy pad I had laid on the spot of the floor she has chosen as a convenient toilet... I feel this will be a serious problem!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know she’s sick but she still looks so much better! You are doing great with her.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's lovely and quiet, but something is getting a real problem!
She's peeing in different places but her tray!!!
A few minutes ago she was wandering in the house, as if she was looking for something. I thought she was looking for the litter, so I took her to the litter and put her in it, but she walked out the tray twice, so I thought I misunderstood. But a few seconds later she peed on a rug!!!!
This is going to be a great problem, literally!

Why does she pees everywhere but her litter? Such a behavior isn't welcome at all, I foresee dark days ahead.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might not be used to a litter box. Maybe just keep setting her in there until she realizes what it is for?
She has used the box a few times, on her own, so she knows what is that for... Only that sometimes she forgets it.
And this time I helped her twice, and twice she stepped out, as if to tell me it wasn't what she was looking for, and a few seconds later she peed on the rug :argh:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just wondering maybe if she does have a tumor it's pressing into her brain and making her a bit confused. What about confining her to a room or a bathroom? I know that's not the nicest thing but it's not sanitary for her to use your floor like a bathroom either.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just wondering maybe if she does have a tumor it's pressing into her brain and making her a bit confused. What about confining her to a room or a bathroom? I know that's not the nicest thing but it's not sanitary for her to use your floor like a bathroom either.
I thought the same, she might be a little confused by the disease or what she's been through.
But I also think that she needs comfort and company, and keeping her confined would be good for her. She curled on me tonight while I was watching the TV, she trusts me and I think she needs me.
She would be perfect if it weren't for this issue!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cookie sheet. Don't know what you call them, but a flat rectangular pan with 1/4 inch sides might help. We used one when Sweet Gum was learning the litter box. Actually, she might like what we started SG with. A flat rubber shower mat, the sort you put in the shower or tub to keep from slipping, with the litter in the center. It's like the puppy pads but no strange urine scent to it, all hers. I only suggested the cookie baking sheet because of her being grown and perhaps peeing more at a time than a kitten.

Here is a picture from Amazon. put cookie sheet in the search

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She sounds like my RIP Maggie (19 yrs.). In the last years we placed a litter box right on the floor next to her heated bed on the couch. I used puppy pads....she would dig a little but only for BM . She had chronic renal disease and arthritis. A bit of senior dementia I think. She would circle to the left when starting out somewhere. She also had those stop and stare sessions. The crying out is something she would do when she returned to her bed. Sounded horrid, not like her normal meow at all.

Your Viola looks so SWEET, she was so lucky you found her...

I just wanted to offer some insight maybe to some of her behaviors.

So HAPPY that she has you and your wife to care for her now...

Last edited:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry I wasn’t here when you first posted, work has been very busy and I am very tired when I come home. I also dropped my phone and the screen cracked :bawling2: it hurts to move my finger around as I get micro cuts, lol. What a sad problem to have. I just ended up putting clear tape on it.
———————
How are you holding up? I remember in the other thread we talked about you taking her home and you decided against it at the time.

I am glad that you did though, you are the number one person to look after Viola.

Any updates on her? Is she still peeing out? Did you try the cookie/muffin platter?

She is so beautiful!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve just read all of both your threads about Viola. A sweet name for a beautiful kitty. I have dealt with kitties that didn’t like litter boxes and with some who didn’t like what was in the litter box. I found that putting some grass or leaves where I wanted them to go helped. Maybe the kitty wants something that looks more like outside. The carpet may seem more like short grass or sand or wherever she was used to going.
I’ve been following you a very long time now. Bravo Antonio! Once again, you are my hero. You and your wife! :sunshine: You are wonderful people. I will continue to send all the good things I can towards you all! :vibes::redheartpump:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody for your incredible and wonderful support!
I've read some of your replies last night and some this morning, but I wanted to wait for the vet visit of today before updating.

Yesterday I texted the vet and told her about the pee issues, and she suggested me to use a lower tray and put the pads in instead of the litter, and it worked... so far.
The vet gave me an appointment for today at 2:30 pm for a check-up visit.
This morning Viola was very much subdued, clearly suffering. She had a hard time at breathing, she was very noisy and troubled, she didn't want to eat. I thought her day had come. I knew we had the appointment for a check-up visit, but I was sure we would have done something... more extreme!

Later on in the morning Viola perked up a lot, but still had a troubled breathing and didn't want to eat.

At the visit the vet checked her mouth and throat and didn't find anything wrong. Checked her ears and found they were clean.
Her eyes have greatly improved since only two days ago, and that is incredible, but all the rest is unchanged, she still keeps her head tilted to the left.
The vet ran an ultrasound scan of chest and abdomen. The cat's lungs are fine, and the heart is fine as well, but found very bad kidneys, her pancreas is bad-looking and the the bile duct is enlarged. The gall bladder is fine as is her liver.
So the vet changed the antibiotic, from Clyndamicin (that I should have started today) to Baytril. Luckily I hadn't bought the first antibiotic yet, the pharmacy said it's no problem if I don't buy it after ordering it. The Baytril was given to me by the vet in several syringes for free. The visit and the scans were free of charge, I spent an hour at the vet and didn't pay a cent for it.

The bad news is that Viola has lost about 500 grams of weight in a few days. I had seen her plumper, her belly is visibly rounder, but the overall weight has dropped!

We also discussed about the fact that Viola doesn't realize that we're back home and that she wakes up all of a sudden only when I touch her.
I had a slight doubt, the vet confirmed it.
Viola might very likely be deaf. The vet clapped her hands very loud several times behind Viola's head and the cat didn't move a whisker.
This explains why she doesn't respond to my calls or other sounds. It wasn't because she's stubborn, she might definitely be deaf.

The vet told me that we are doing a great job for giving this poor kitten a warm and safe place for her last days... because, she said, we're not talking months... even if a cat can always amaze us!

====

Yesterday I returned to the spot where I found her and called at every house within half a mile radius. Of all houses (not more 7 or 8) nobody had ever seen that cat. Only one house didn't open, I'll have to try on a different day.
So, unless that only house knows her, this might mean she's been abandoned deliberately.
A woman at one of those houses told me that it isn't unusual that people abandon pets in that area. She herself had found two dogs outside her gate, and the cat she has at home was found on her doorstep a few years back.

====

Now, being Viola an Italian name, I think many of you wonder how it sounds in Italian.
You might click on this link
Pronuncia di viola: come pronunciare viola in Italiano, Portoghese, Inglese, Finlandese, Danese, Norvegese Bokmål, Galiziano, Spagnolo, Latino, Tedesco, Esperanto, Ungherese, Svedese, Asturiano, Ceco, Croato, Sloveno
and listen to the third pronounciation (read by albertopanza), never mind the others pronounciations, they are bad!
No matter how we call her, she won't hear us, unfortunately...

This is her, today at 1 pm, in my yard
Today was a nice warm day and I let her out for a few minutes.
You can listen to her sweet tiny meow. And you can see her tilted head.
The title in Italian reads "Viole makes herself heard".

And this is her an hour later, at the window, with a dreamy look
Viola 2019_02_23r.jpg

The timber stair she's on was built by me a few years ago to allow my sweet Lola to reach the window sill when she was sick and weak.

Last edited:

CL56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Antonio65
You are her hero.
I know you will probably only have a short time with her, but you are so blessed to give her that time !
...and you are also my hero !