Sebastian is Back at the Vet...Suspected Pancreatitis Again :(

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a FYI re Depo Mederol.  Two of my cats were on it for stomatitis.  They both developed diabetes.  After the fact, I was told this is a side effect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some things have been transpiring. 

Sebastian has been doing GREAT for the past week.  
  Eating, playing, being bad (in a good way). Coincidentally, it started when I introduced a new protein: pork. (Yes, there was a reason for me starting that thread about pork. There IS a method to my madness!) He is now eating in rotation the canned versions of Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Formula and Pork Formula. He LOVES this food (for now) and has been eating well and licks his bowl completely clean. I like that NV doesn't use carrageenan or gum thickeners. I've stopped the Royal Canin canned rabbit because he will no longer touch it. I did try the H&G pork in the beginning, but it seemed to upset his stomach.

I've revisited home cooked meals to offer with canned meals. For a couple weeks now, I've been offering him small amounts of cooked rabbit at every meal (replaces the dry I stopped feeding him). We started out at one pea-sized piece. It was kind of funny, because he would literally eat one piece the size of a pea and I would say, "That's all!" He'd look at me like, "Seriously?" 
  Now we're up to about a teaspoon! Since I've now introduced pork, I picked up some center cut pork chops, which at some point I'll cook for him and supplement with Balance It.

He still has one red mark in his ear, but it's definitely better than what was in the pictures I posted above. It's almost like the reaction he had left a scar. 

Last Thursday, I had a long distance phone consultation with a vet who specializes in combining Western Medicine with Traditional Chinese Medicine and other alternative therapies to get optimal results. She is vet # 4 involved with Sebastian's case. I felt very positive about our conversation. She offered more suggestions for Sebastian - in many aspects of medicine and supplements - than the first three vets combined. She offered some suggestions on what we could change with the Western meds he is on, and wants me to talk to our regular vet about this. She did say that I need to rotate cooling proteins as much as I can, and that his body could start looking at the rabbit as an antigen. Well, we knew that, but hearing it from her made me wonder if then introducing the pork kind of "restarted" his system.  

She wants to get Sebastian started on probiotic therapy, antioxidant therapy and some Chinese herbs, which they mailed to me. She gave him a Chinese "diagnosis" which, of course, I researched. I can totally see how she came to her conclusion. She is also on the fence about digestive enzymes for pancreatitis, but feels that I could try a gentle formula without fillers and see how he does. Knowing how slowly I have to introduce things, I fear it'll take me years to start him on all these things, but I'm going to reach out to this vet and see what she suggests I do first and/or what I can do simultaneously.

Onward....

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Fantastic news!

Did you get the same sort of reaction when you initially started rabbit?
You mean with him feeling good and doing well? Yes.  You thinking maybe he's allergic to rabbit now? 
  That would suck.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You mean with him feeling good and doing well? Yes.  You thinking maybe he's allergic to rabbit now? 
  That would suck.
No, I was just wondering if there's a pattern. Since you're giving him NV rabbit and he's doing OK, he's probably not allergic to rabbit. I have heard, though, that when people try to lose weight, you need to shake things up every once in a while or your metabolism plateaus. I wonder if eating the same thing everyday can have other effects?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wonder if eating the same thing everyday can have other effects?
Hmm....very possible. I'm doing some research to see what other cooling proteins I could offer him that won't cause a reaction.
So what was his TCM diagnosis?
You ready?   ............   "Stomach yin deficiency"

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting. I wonder if that's the same diagnosis as Chumley, just in a "westernized" verbiage. Chum had both a spleen Qi deficiency and an extreme yin deficiency. The vet explained that the Chinese Medicine says "spleen" but it means the stomach.

:dk:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I wonder if that's the same diagnosis as Chumley, just in a "westernized" verbiage. Chum had both a spleen Qi deficiency and an extreme yin deficiency. The vet explained that the Chinese Medicine says "spleen" but it means the stomach.

It's my understanding from this vet that stomach yin deficiency and spleen qi deficiency are two different diagnoses, although one can effect, or lead to, the other. I actually brought up spleen qi deficiency in our conversation because I read that in TCM the spleen also involves the pancreas, but she was thinking out loud and said, "No, no...that's not it...not based on what you're telling me." She was very thorough and was asking me a TON of questions to help her with the diagnosis and prescribe the proper Chinese herbs (which I haven't started yet). She wanted a picture of his tongue, which I couldn't get, so I described his tongue to her based on what I've seen from his many meows and yawns. 

Not like I needed a new challenge, but I got one. I sent the TCM vet a few follow-up questions via email, including my observations and challenges with diet. Since Sebastian seems to be doing so well since starting him on the pork, she thinks Sebastian's body sees the rabbit as an antigen now, and wants me to rotate off the rabbit. Also, the rash on his ear flap still has not gone away, which means this could be caused from a [new] allergic reaction to the rabbit. I told her I'm kind of at a loss, because he may now be allergic to several things, and we're trying to stick with "cooling" proteins. So, I just don't know what to offer him. I mentioned frogs legs (why didn't I think of this before!?).  
  She said she was going to get back to me next week with some more thoughts on diet and allergies. Until I hear from her, I guess he'll be getting just pork. By the way, I made the center cut pork chops for him last night (supplemented with Balance It and cooked). He LOVED it!

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great update! Glad to hear Sebastian is making some progress.

Right about the time I decided to take my cat with the sensitive stomach to a holistic vet, I stumbled across the concept of food energy, which totally makes sense looking back. He had terrible reactions to chicken and a mild reaction to lamb, which are both on the warm side. However, he's doing well on duck and rabbit, which are both cool, and turkey. I am also feeding the NVI rabbit, and he loves it and tolerates it. I, too, was initially worried about the pork, but I've seen that as a neutral protein. I figure if I keep my guy away from warm proteins for now, hopefully he'll be okay. He stared probiotics just a week ago and I think he feels better.

It sounds like a lot to introduce. I think you're smart to start slowly, also so you can assess how Sebastian does with each one.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to be into Chinese martial arts and Qi is talked about a lot in martial arts, my teacher was really into it.  They even have human hospitals in China that specialize in Qi, for humans it's a health system called Qigong which is also part of martial arts.  In martial arts it's a system that includes meditation so someone can concentrate and direct their life force.

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome update.  I am going to use some of the chinese medicine on DeeJay for her many issues.  But we are introducing things slowly to her as not to overload her system. 

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forget, did you give Sebastian Luxolite, or was that the other boys? I'm wondering if the montmorillonite clay in the Nature's Variety is doing anything.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sebastian is still doing really well. I'm weaning him off the Metronidazole....we're down to 1/16 of a tablet twice daily (it's like a crumb). We started the Chinese meds on Sunday morning - only 1 drop of each per week until we reach the full dose. So far so good. Last night, I started him on a different "ultra potent" probiotic with more strains based on the TCM vet's advice. He'll get a high dose for two weeks, and then back down to standard.

I forget, did you give Sebastian Luxolite, or was that the other boys? I'm wondering if the montmorillonite clay in the Nature's Variety is doing anything.
I gave it to Sebastian a few times when he got diarrhea from raw. I don't know if there's enough of the clay in NV to help heal his gut and bind toxins...maybe.

catsinchicago

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering how  Sebastian  is doing. I read your posts from beginning to end and they sound so familiar. My boy Simon has been diagnosed with Pancreatitis and it has been such a roller coaster. This seems to have begun immediately after his brother/best friend died of lung cancer in December. You said you have lost weight because it is so stressful. When Simon has a good day, I have a good day. When he doesn't eat and acts like he does not feel well, I am a wreck. There is nothing worse right now then when he sniffs his food and then turns away. I have been considering Chinese medicine. I am looking forward to hearing how it has been working for Sebastian. Good thoughts to you.                    

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sebastian has been doing REALLY well the past three weeks. The rash on his ear flap is virtually gone. I started a new thread in Cat Nutrition to specifically discuss food rotation and allergies. I don't have his chart with me right now, but if I try to think back, I think the top three major changes made were 1) eliminating dry food and replacing it with supplemented home-cooked meat (served alongside his canned food), 2) starting a protein rotation, and 3) starting Chinese herbs. I changed his probiotic and upped the CFUs and reduced the metronidazole, but I'm not sure these changes would have created such a dramatic effect.
If you haven't already, start a food and med journal. I did this with my kitty and I was referring back to it all the time.

It took me a long time to finally get in touch with a few holistic vets, mainly due to the diffusion of funds and the fact that I was so completely overwhelmed with everything. Sebastian is now on two Chinese herbal medicines, and they are liquid. Chinese herbs are extremely bitter. I really don't see any way to give them to cats other than putting them in empty gel caps and pilling them. The thing with a liquid, however, is that it is in a water/alcohol base, so they dissolve the gel caps. I did an experiment and timed that I have 10 minutes after I put the drops in the gel caps before the gel cap starts dissolving and gets too soft. When it's time to refill the Chinese meds, I'll inquire about a powder form. Perhaps the liquid works better and that's why they sent me the liquid by default...

Anyway, he's been a very happy boy...playing, excited about food, and always showing his belly.  
  Rarely have I seen him in the meatloaf position since he's been feeling well. I took a couple videos of him recently, but I'm avoiding YouTube like the plague. 
That's what my integrated vet said about Chinese herbs. He didn't use them too much on cats.

So great to hear he's doing so well.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you haven't already, start a food and med journal. I did this with my kitty and I was referring back to it all the time.
Yes, I do have one! Well, I actually call it a "chart" because it's in calendar format - what meds/supplements he gets every day and how much, which new ones were started, what food he eats every day, what days he has fluids, behavioral notes, abnormal BMs, etc. I definitely wouldn't be able to keep it all straight if I didn't do this. 
  When I'm putting together his gel caps, sometimes I have to refer to the chart, especially if dosages have changed or something has been added to the regime.