Sebastian is Back at the Vet...Suspected Pancreatitis Again :(

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In humans a reaction can happen that fast (even faster, actually), so I would imagine the same for cats. My guess would be the Evangers has something in it that he can't take.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In humans a reaction can happen that fast (even faster, actually), so I would imagine the same for cats. My guess would be the Evangers has something in it that he can't take.
This was my thought exactly. If it is an agressive reaction (and I don't know much about allergies, but it looks like one) it is most likely the new food.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: When people are allergic, food reactions are immediate. Think of peanuts and people being rushed to the hospital... (KNOCK WOOD). My dad was allergic to raspberries and pineapple - if he ate any, he'd have a rash almost immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh...it's just so frustrating because the only ingredients that are supposed to be in the Evanger's rabbit are: rabbit, water, [rabbit] liver, and guar gum. If this is the culprit, then a) there's another protein in this food that they are sneaking in there, b) it is the can itself, and/or c) it is the guar gum. Obviously, I'm going to stop feeding the Evanger's and see if the rashes go away. 
  I'm actually kind of grateful that Sebastian gets these rashes (I like to call them "allergy indicators"). It makes it easy for me to see that he is having an allergic reaction!

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When people are allergic, food reactions are immediate. Think of peanuts and people being rushed to the hospital... (KNOCK WOOD). My dad was allergic to raspberries and pineapple - if he ate any, he'd have a rash almost immediately.
Just wondering--if the reaction is immediate, then why do vets tell us to keep the kitty on nothing but a single protein before adding other ingredients for at least 6-8 weeks when running a food trial?

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just wondering--if the reaction is immediate, then why do vets tell us to keep the kitty on nothing but a single protein before adding other ingredients for at least 6-8 weeks when running a food trial?
Not all reactions are immediate.  Some take time to develop.  My chihuahua isn't an immediate reactor but reacts over time to different cooked proteins.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I see red angry streaks, I think "immediate" rather than chronic and low-grade. However, you do mention a very good point.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because as cprcheetah points out, some take time. There's also a difference between an allergy and a food intolerance, though the word "allergy" is typically used.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So sorry Sebastian's having problems again. Wysong does sell a canned rabbit product similar to the Evanger's can you got--muscle meat, liver, guar gum and rabbit broth--if you want to try something else.
Yes, I did find this online - thanks! I may give this a try once the rash goes away. However, isn't Wysong also canned by Evanger's? I thought I read this somewhere.  
  I'm keeping him on the H&G Rabbit only for now until I get a hold of what is causing this rash. If it doesn't go away, then I can make the conclusion that it is something in the H&G. At the moment, the rash is still there and it has been 48 hours since I fed him the Evanger's.

I truly feel like a "parent" to these cats, and with that comes a great desire to WRING THEIR NECKS every once in awhile (don't worry; I don't actually do this). I think I have a sick cat, but then Sebastian proceeds to jump up two levels to get to a very high bureau where I keep Caesar's NV Turkey dry food. Of course, I didn't notice until I hear a loud "thud" of him jumping down. Every last morsel was gone.  
  It's great that he has an appetite, but he's really screwing up the food trial! Now I can't leave Caesar's food out at all unless I'm in the room; otherwise, I have to put it away.

With that said, Sebastian did well tonight. He at 5/8 of a can (a little over half), plus whatever he managed to get from Caesar's dry food. Grrr...  He seems to be feeling better. He was active tonight. Not necessary playing and running around all over the place, but he was walking around quite a bit getting into things and him and Boo had a little mini 15-second wrestling match.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anything in the Evangers that isn't in the H&G or Caesar's dry? That may help nail down the offensive ingredient.

• Purraise
Reactions: ldg

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, I did find this online - thanks! I may give this a try once the rash goes away. However, isn't Wysong also canned by Evanger's? I thought I read this somewhere.  
  I'm keeping him on the H&G Rabbit only for now until I get a hold of what is causing this rash. If it doesn't go away, then I can make the conclusion that it is something in the H&G. At the moment, the rash is still there and it has been 48 hours since I fed him the Evanger's.
Wysong's home page says they manufacture they own products.

http://www.wysong.net/

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Ugh...it's just so frustrating because the only ingredients that are supposed to be in the Evanger's rabbit are: rabbit, water, [rabbit] liver, and guar gum. If this is the culprit, then a) there's another protein in this food that they are sneaking in there, b) it is the can itself, and/or c) it is the guar gum. Obviously, I'm going to stop feeding the Evanger's and see if the rashes go away. 
  I'm actually kind of grateful that Sebastian gets these rashes (I like to call them "allergy indicators"). It makes it easy for me to see that he is having an allergic reaction!
some forms of Guar gum are made from soy... Guar gum is a legume, so it could be possible it is the guar gum that is causing the problem.

Boo has had similar experience.. .. He was on the Royal Canin hypoallergenic Duck & Pea canned with no problems for a week, I then purchased the dry in the RC duck & Pea and the very next day his ears were blotchy and he was scratching !! There was something obviously in the dry, even though it is suppose to be hypoallergenic.

Sometimes the reaction can be within the same day, sometimes it can take longer to come to surface...

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anything in the Evangers that isn't in the H&G or Caesar's dry? That may help nail down the offensive ingredient.
Sorry, I thought I covered this already. 
  The Evanger's rabbit is only supposed to contain: rabbit, water, rabbit liver, and guar gum. H&G contains rabbit and guar gum, as well. IF it was the Evanger's that gave him the rash, this leads me to conclude that a) there's another protein in the Evanger's that is not on the label (another one of their slip-ups), b) its the can, c) its the guar gum, or d) he's starting to become allergic to rabbit. 

The rash looks like it's starting to heal...maybe. I think it peaked, and is now on it's way down. We'll see. Sebastian didn't have Caesar's dry food when the rash started...I don't think. But going forward, I'm going to have to be the food nazi and watch him like a hawk. The only thing I can do is keep him on the H&G exclusively for a little longer and see if the rash goes away. If NOT, then I'll know it is something in the H&G...either the rabbit itself, the duck liver, or one of the thickening agents.

Wysong's home page says they manufacture they own products.

http://www.wysong.net/
Crap. I contacted Wysong about the ingredient list in the Rabbit Au Jus because it was unclear to me. They admitted that the formula recently changed and their own website was not yet updated (it now is). The Rabbit Au Jus now has "meat broth" in it. I asked them to confirm the "meat" source. I am waiting to hear back. Meat to me means beef.
OK - I shouldn't laugh at your "pain." But that's GREAT he's feeling well enough to be bounding around like that!
He did it again this morning! I left the bedroom for a second to go scoop the litter box in the other room, and I heard a loud thud from him jumping down from the bureau. Luckily, I put Caesar's food away. The problem is...I stopped giving Sebastian dry food, but I still give a little to Boo and Caesar. I think Sebastian is DYING for something crunchy.

some forms of Guar gum are made from soy... Guar gum is a legume, so it could be possible it is the guar gum that is causing the problem.

Boo has had similar experience.. .. He was on the Royal Canin hypoallergenic Duck & Pea canned with no problems for a week, I then purchased the dry in the RC duck & Pea and the very next day his ears were blotchy and he was scratching !! There was something obviously in the dry, even though it is suppose to be hypoallergenic.

Sometimes the reaction can be within the same day, sometimes it can take longer to come to surface...
Thanks DonnaJean. I did read this a little about guar gum. Both Evanger's and H&G use guar gum, but maybe they are different forms. 

Oh, did you know that the RC Selected Protein dry foods now include hydrolyzed soy protein? This is a new addition. Sebastian did well on the RC Selected Protein PR (pea and rabbit) canned food for 5 months. It did not have guar gum in it. Unfortunately, he stopped eating it, and I had to scramble to find something else.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm....  
  Sebastian has been eating the H&G pretty well and he ate a good amount yesterday morning. When I returned home from work last night, the rash was still there and looked "angrier" than ever. I'm starting to think it is the duck liver or one of the gums in H&G that he is sensitive to. With this thought in mind, I decided to offer him the Royal Canin canned rabbit for dinner last night instead of H&G. He doesn't want it, but after an hour of holding out, he finally gave in. This morning when I awoke, I checked his ear and it had significantly improved overnight! What the heck! 

If I can get him to eat the Royal Canin for a few days, I want to see if the rash disappears. If the rash goes away....great. Then I know the problem is not rabbit or peas. It has to be duck liver or one of the gums, which is a shame because he really likes the H&G.  
  The problem is...he doesn't want the RC and I know I'm not going to be able to force him to eat this long term. He's feeling better and wants to eat, but doesn't want the RC. I'll figure something out. I decided to try the cooked rabbit again. I still have it in the freezer, and I've been offering him a pea-sized amount the last few evenings. So far so good. We'll see.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried the Wysong Au Jus Rabbit.  It does have guar gum, and you'd have to call them to find out what kind of liver is in it, because their website doesn't say, it just says "liver", but it might be worth a try?

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hmm....  
  Sebastian has been eating the H&G pretty well and he ate a good amount yesterday morning. When I returned home from work last night, the rash was still there and looked "angrier" than ever. I'm starting to think it is the duck liver or one of the gums in H&G that he is sensitive to. With this thought in mind, I decided to offer him the Royal Canin canned rabbit for dinner last night instead of H&G. He doesn't want it, but after an hour of holding out, he finally gave in. This morning when I awoke, I checked his ear and it had significantly improved overnight! What the heck! 
My two cats ate their very first H&G meal Monday night. About 3/4 of the way through, both suddenly showed extreme disinterest in the food and wouldn't finish it. The next morning, neither would eat breakfast, no matter what I offered. Appetite was back to normal on Tuesday night. My guess is one of the gums. Both have had foods with guar gum, which my male may be sensitive to, but not the female. I did a little reading on xantham gum and believe that might be the culprit. It's quite the mystery substance, particularly in pet foods, and could consist of any number of allergenic ingredients such as wheat, corn, soy, or dairy.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Have you tried the Wysong Au Jus Rabbit.  It does have guar gum, and you'd have to call them to find out what kind of liver is in it, because their website doesn't say, it just says "liver", but it might be worth a try?
Not yet. I had a couple of questions in queue at Wysong regarding the Rabbit Au Jus. They got back to me and confirmed that the "meat broth" is, in fact, from rabbit. Due to labeling regulations, they have to list it as "meat broth."  They also confirmed that the "liver" is rabbit liver. So, the Wysong Rabbit Au Jus is just rabbit and guar gum. I think what I'll do is try to keep Sebastian on the RC and see if the rash dissipates. If so, I'll introduce the Wysong. If he has a reaction to that, I think I can conclude it is the guar gum. If he doesn't have a reaction to the Wysong, then I can conclude it was the duck liver or one of the other gums in H&G. 
  Ay ay ay....  He's such a sensitive little munchkin. 

My two cats ate their very first H&G meal Monday night. About 3/4 of the way through, both suddenly showed extreme disinterest in the food and wouldn't finish it. The next morning, neither would eat breakfast, no matter what I offered. Appetite was back to normal on Tuesday night. My guess is one of the gums. Both have had foods with guar gum, which my male may be sensitive to, but not the female. I did a little reading on xantham gum and believe that might be the culprit. It's quite the mystery substance, particularly in pet foods, and could consist of any number of allergenic ingredients such as wheat, corn, soy, or dairy.
There's very little out there in terms of cats having allergic reactions to these gums, but a few non-official resources have said it is possible.