Scooting And Recuring Mystery Skin Rash On Back Leg

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
I"m starting a thread on this because I'm a bit at a loss on what is going on with my 1 year old female kitty. She keeps getting this 'rash' on her back leg (one side), and she's started scooting.

She developed a rash like area on her back leg last December. The first time to see the vet for this, she received a steroid shot. She did not do well with the shot, but it seemed to clear up the rash. The rash came back about 2 months later. We took her to a different vet about early April and this vet thought it was a skin infection and gave my cat antibiotics. The rash seemed to clear up after 2 weeks of antibiotics. Shortly after we finished antibiotics, she developed very soft stool and started scooting. Now, it's late June and the rash is back, and she's still scooting.

During the time after the second vet and after she finished 2 weeks of antibiotics in late April, she started scooting and having very soft stool. Long story short, I switched her to grain free, and it helped her stool tremendously, but she is still scooting. Now, this rash is back for the third time!

The 'rash' doesn't seem to bother her. It is no where else that I can find. It comes back at the same spot. She doesn't try to lick it or scratch at it. The skin feels thickened. My other cat seems fine so it's probably not contagious.

The scooting is often awhile after she's used the bathroom. She scoots about once every other day. It's always on soft surface like bedsheets. There's enough to usually make a mark. Gross! I've done tons of laundry. I'm almost hoping that they will find a cause for the scooting and it's not just a bad habit!!!

I included a picture of the skin rash. I have no clue what it is causing it. I'm guessing the vet will work her up for the typical causes of scooting (worms, anal glands). I'll try to update after her vet appointment.

View media item 419361

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello pumpkins pumpkins , is the rash better now? Not sure of if it's due to food allergies.

For the scooting, it could be due to itch of the anal gland or maybe worms. Do you notice any in her stools?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could the rash possibly be from over-grooming? Allergies also come to mind.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a dog that has allergies and she does a similar thing. She will lick her paws raw and rub her rear end on chairs or trees. Maybe ask your vet to try allergy medications instead of antibiotics? Did your vet also check for clogged anal glands? I know that that can be a cause of scooting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. She does not over groom that I have seen. In fact, she could stand to do some grooming. The 'rash' is still there. Her vet appointment is today in a few hours.

As for the rash, the last time the vet mentioned doing a skin analysis if the antibiotics didn't work to try and figure out what is going on. I am under the impression that food allergy rashes typically show up around the head, neck, and face area. This is only on her back leg and in the same place each time.

I'm sure the vet may try to rule out worms (or give her worming meds), and maybe express her anal glands. I should also note that she has a bad smelling butt. Even if she doesn't have any stool on her to speak of, her backside still has a pungent stink.

I suspect it could be allergies. I'm hoping to get some answers today without spending a fortune!

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: We are back from the vet appointment. After I told the vet that Bebe was scooting and had a foul, pungent smelling butt, the vet wanted to check her glands. Bebe did have full anal glands and a slight temperature. The vet expressed them, and Bebe will be on a round of antibiotics. We have to return in 10 days to have the glands expressed again to get anything left behind. They also gave her laser treatment on the anal glands and also her mouth. (Bebe has stomatitis).

The vet felt like due to the proximity of the 'rash' on her back leg to her anal glands, and the recurrence with the scooting, that it is related to the full anal glands.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, good...well...good in the sense that it is a relatively easy fix! I know she will be far, far more comfortable with those pesky glands expressed!

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
Bebe will go back in 10 days to have a follow up expression to make sure they get everything. She has been scooting even more the past 24 hours since the expressing. She is also leaking a brown like substance that is a little runny/loose/grainy looking. I am assuming that this is anal gland fluid. I am also assuming this is normal when the glands have been slightly impacted and infectious and then expressed?

I will be interested to see if the 'rash' does indeed go away. The rash is not right beside or next to the anus, but on her back leg.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had to deal with that, but...perhaps, better out than in? Give your vet a quick call tomorrow and they can answer that definitively for you over the phone!

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet office called me first to check in on Bebe! I asked about the 'leaking'. They told me it was normal and it may last a few days, but to call if it continues longer than about 5 days.

I noticed the 'rash' area today. I can't tell that it is any better or any worse. I saw today though that Bebe has bitten or dug at it and caused some scratching and hair loss.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can brew a cup of chamomile tea, cool it well, and gently apply it to the rash. It is safe for cats, both topically and internally (in the proper dosages), and is very soothing on all sorts of skin issues.

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that, Mamanyt1953. Thank you. I'll have to pick up some chamomile and give it a try. Update: the leaking has pretty much stopped within 2-3 days of expression except for a very small amount right after she uses the litter pan, and she hasn't scooted for about 2 days. I've been using unscented baby wipes for any cleanup on her back end. The rancid smell from her back end that was there (whether she was clean or not) is now gone.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We progress. This is good. Now to just fine-tune things a bit, and Bebe will be back to normal!

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reminder about probiotics. She's been on a few rounds before. I'll start some likely after she's off the antibiotics. I'm having difficulty finding a grain free wet food she will eat.

She is still scoot free for the past 3 days or so. She still has part normal stool and part soft stool all in the same bathroom use. I'm not sure if this is going to continue to cause her any issues with her anal glands. I plan to ask about this on her vet visit this coming Wednesday.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Great to hear that your kitty is much better now. Hope it'll soon clear and things to be back to normal :wink:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says! How is the rash doing, now that the scooting has stopped?