Scared semi feral stray cat hiding for a month

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi, just to share whiskers is adapting very well! But just recently he miaos and hiss. Not sure why but it's a miao first then hiss. If it's a hiss first I get that I'm doing something wrong but why does a miao immediately turn into a hiss?
It could be anything why he meowed then hiss. Could be a certain scent or certain action he dislike.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To add on, his mouth kinda stays open before and after a hiss. You think it's stress? I've recently taken away an unconducive hiding spot and maybe he got upset.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
To add on, his mouth kinda stays open before and after a hiss. You think it's stress? I've recently taken away an unconducive hiding spot and maybe he got upset.
Looks like he smelled sometime unusual.
Does his expression look like ‘What?! What’s that?’

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put back his hiding spot and he didn't hiss anymore lol. I think he was just stressed out from not being able to hide and rest.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, so whiskers had a shower last afternoon. He started crying all night and hissing again. His miao turns into a hiss with his mouth open. What's wrong? I get scared. It seems like he's stressed about something but I don't know about what. I've put back his hiding spot and the grooming is over. He's walking around the house crying

Last edited:

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've asked the groomers and he said it's normal cause he's not used to his lack of scent. Hope he goes back to normal soon.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh really? I hope so. :hugs:
This is his first time showering so I'm not very sure. He hasn't pooped also. He ate drank and peed but no poop yesterday

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Why a shower? Poor little thing-I know groomers make a living bathing animals but all that does is remove their natural oils ( which is what cleans them) they lick those oils through their fur to get clean- brushing,brushing ,brushing cleanses fur properly for a healthy coat

Unless an animal rolled around in dirt or grease I see no reason for dousing them with water and shampoo -

Maybe you should call your Vet-theres a reason Whiskers is meowing and hissing all night and msybe he's trying to tell you something- something is bothering him- the mouth open is usually to take in more scents but not hissing

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I showered him. He was extremely dirty, and his ears needed a good clean. This was probably his first bath in his entire life, and he was an outdoor cat for about 4 years or more.

Anyways he's back to normal. I kept him in his room for one afternoon and night, cause that has everything with his scent. No more hissing and crying anymore. I realised he hisses with every miao cause he inhales with each miaos and freaks out that he doesn't recognize himself and thinks it's my fault cause I'm there so hisses. And that night he just panicked and didn't go back to his room the entire time cause he kept pacing, which made things worse cause the living room doesn't have his scent cause he doesn't hang out much there. So forcing him to his room and giving him time put his scent back on him and comforted him.

Such a silly cat.

Why a shower? Poor little thing-I know groomers make a living bathing animals but all that does is remove their natural oils ( which is what cleans them) they lick those oils through their fur to get clean- brushing,brushing ,brushing cleanses fur properly for a healthy coat

Unless an animal rolled around in dirt or grease I see no reason for dousing them with water and shampoo -

Maybe you should call your Vet-theres a reason Whiskers is meowing and hissing all night and msybe he's trying to tell you something- something is bothering him- the mouth open is usually to take in more scents but not hissing