Sassy - 17yr Old Cat - Appetite Issue (early Ckd)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess it took effect, as she was meowing for food (though not as vocally as back In January) and she just ate an entire 3oz can of food. THank Goodness. But I guess now we see if she will keep this up throughout the day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: without excessive meowing, that is!!!

Re: Arthritis, since the last x-rays were just in January, the vet should not tell you they need done again, unless the scope of the x-rays didn't cover most of her body. Whatever the vet can see on the January x-rays is a good starting point.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: without excessive meowing, that is!!!

Re: Arthritis, since the last x-rays were just in January, the vet should not tell you they need done again, unless the scope of the x-rays didn't cover most of her body. Whatever the vet can see on the January x-rays is a good starting point.
I kinda take it back, my cat ate the whole can, and now woke up again being vocally...just sitting here now staring into my face. I guess she just can't tolerate the mirtazapine well enough or still too strong? I know in a day she'll calm down like in January...so we shall see. At least then I gave her Mirtazapine like at 6pmish, and she was like awake the whole night and moewing which was stressful. So now i Held off until this morning so she can get through it during the day and finally sleep in the night. But is this side effect of her moewing and being bit restless means shes not meant for that pill or something else could be wrong? Like even just now as i wrote this, she went to her bed, meowing while laying down (not loud meows though) im hoping she will go sleep.

As for Xrays, well the vet did say since he did it back in January, he would suggest going straight to the ultrasound if I wanted or monitor her over next few days with the mirtazapine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she can't settle down with Mirtazapine, there are other appetite stimulants that may agree with her better. But, give it some time, and monitor when/what goes on so that if it continues you will have a diary of sorts to share with the vet.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she can't settle down with Mirtazapine, there are other appetite stimulants that may agree with her better. But, give it some time, and monitor when/what goes on so that if it continues you will have a diary of sorts to share with the vet.
Yes I will. She hasn't slept yet since taking it 3 hours ago... and she lays down but as soon she sees me move she gets up and pets me and meows as if she wants more food. but theres no way she could eat more as she ate a lot alrdy? Im hoping this vocalization will wear off soon...

And other appetite stimulants? What kinds are there so I could ask my vet about them tomorrow (since they close today).

Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not really sure, but you can ask the vet - although, I am wondering if the other appetite stimulant products probably have similar side effects.

If by the time the vet's office is open again and her side effects haven't subsided any, ask the vet about reducing the dosage yet again - assuming it is possible to break the pill into quarters. If it can be done, it is worth a try.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not really sure, but you can ask the vet - although, I am wondering if the other appetite stimulant products probably have similar side effects.

If by the time the vet's office is open again and her side effects haven't subsided any, ask the vet about reducing the dosage yet again - assuming it is possible to break the pill into quarters. If it can be done, it is worth a try.
Well good news is that she's been eating well today. must less vocally for sure. I guess if she's eating normally again now its because the med is still in her? I guess once it runs out she may not eat again or very little?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That may be the case, but for now get her back to eating again. That is so important overall. I am guessing that you will still have to move forward with the ultrasound at some point. But, let her be for a while as long as she goes back to eating better.

And, don't forget to ask about the sub-Q fluids that Jem Jem talked about!!

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But if say she continues to eat well without the mirtazapine...then would that mean shes ok? And if so, what could have caused this?

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That may be the case, but for now get her back to eating again. That is so important overall. I am guessing that you will still have to move forward with the ultrasound at some point. But, let her be for a while as long as she goes back to eating better.

And, don't forget to ask about the sub-Q fluids that Jem Jem talked about!!
and yes definitely will ask about the sub-q fluids. But isn't that if she's dehyrdated? Because shes not throwing up water...well not this week at least and shes drinking plenty of water past few days as well?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could answer that with some conclusiveness. I think if she continues to do well with a small dose of the Mirtazapine, you can ask your vet to talk to you about her overall health, what to look for, and what your options might be considering different outcomes/aspects as you move forward.

It is a good sign for now that she is eating, drinking, and apparently the side effects of the Mirtazapine have lessened.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
So I've given her Mirtazapine her half of 2mg pill about an hour ago or so. Maybe because its weaker will take slightly longer to take effect? Last time I gave her the 2mg and I believe it just made her hungrier like right away almost within an hour.

She didnt want to eat as much this morning again...and just getting me more concerned. Im hoping this Mirtazapine will help her eat later today at least something

Have you gotten her levels checked again? One of my cats had the same symptoms, and when checked, his kidney levels were off the chart. His illness was still manageable though. How is her hydration, has the doctor put any fluids under her skin? I ask this because it is a cheap, safe, and effective, way of perking a cat up.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you gotten her levels checked again? One of my cats had the same symptoms, and when checked, his kidney levels were off the chart. His illness was still manageable though. How is her hydration, has the doctor put any fluids under her skin? I ask this because it is a cheap, safe, and effective, way of perking a cat up.
Helllo,

Well I did take her, if you check I posted PDF's of her bloodwork scanned from July 2019, August 2018 and back when she was first diagnosed in June 2017. To me and our vet's analysis, doesn't seem like it progressed that much in 2 years.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Helllo,

Well I did take her, if you check I posted PDF's of her bloodwork scanned from July 2019, August 2018 and back when she was first diagnosed in June 2017. To me and our vet's analysis, doesn't seem like it progressed that much in 2 years.

I have no idea what good, bad, or even decent kidney levels look like. What does your vet think is wrong with her?

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what good, bad, or even decent kidney levels look like. What does your vet think is wrong with her?
Well, he wasn't sure. Because based on her latest bloodwork last week, He said that he doesn't see it being a kidney or liver or other organ related issue just based on the bloodwork. Howevert the bloodwork doesn't show everything which he's right. So the next steps were to do an XRAY or ultrasound to see inside her to rule out any tumors or cancers or even IBD.

He had also suggested to try the Mirtazapine 1mg twice a week see if that gets her to eat though that isn't really curing the problem, just making her eat. Last thing he said if ultrasound shows nothing along with Xrays then it could be just a behavorial problem...but I dont know if that can be the case.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish I could answer that with some conclusiveness. I think if she continues to do well with a small dose of the Mirtazapine, you can ask your vet to talk to you about her overall health, what to look for, and what your options might be considering different outcomes/aspects as you move forward.

It is a good sign for now that she is eating, drinking, and apparently the side effects of the Mirtazapine have lessened.

As an update, though not sure and certainly hoping it isn't the case...I just gave her food this morning today, she seemed hungry and was eating fine...then she kinda stopped eating her wet food ( as she was before ) so I placed some dry food and she began to eat most of that. Left maybe about little less then her 3 oz. wet food. The past 2 days she was finishing...but I tried a fish can she she ate before as well...but didn't like so much? I'm just hoping now its just a minor fluke and she'll eat again later. She was moewing for food though like her old self as she always has in the mornings. She's still drinking plenty of water without spitting it out or throwing up.

I will post a video shortly as I just tried to record that instance I spoke of last.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's the link to that water drinking issue. Although it's very hard to get it at right moment because sometimes she doesn't even do it, the first 2-3 seconds is what I was referring to, her tilting head sideways to allow her tongue to reach side of face? But I don't know if thats because water dripping on her cheek or she getting rdy to spit out or feeling nausea. But most times she resumes drinking afterwards.

It's been a week already since she last threw up water so she seems fine.

https://thecatsite.com/media/20190703_185932_1.422572/

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last thing he said if ultrasound shows nothing along with Xrays then it could be just a behavorial problem...but I dont know if that can be the case.
I'm not suggesting that you don't do the tests that the vet is wanting to do. But I would urge you (I know I've already suggested this) to do the sub-Q fluids for a few days/week or so first. I can't stress enough how beneficial the fluids are for CKD kitties. If your appointment to get the tests done is not for a little bit, you would have time to do it, then re check the blood to see if the calcium and urea levels have gone down as well as if kitty starts eating regularly again.
The fluids, although most definitely are used for dehydration, act as dialysis for CKD, the increased water absorption flushes the kidneys that can't filter as efficiently as they used to. And even if she doesn't show significant signs of dehydration, it does not mean that toxins aren't slowly building up.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not suggesting that you don't do the tests that the vet is wanting to do. But I would urge you (I know I've already suggested this) to do the sub-Q fluids for a few days/week or so first. I can't stress enough how beneficial the fluids are for CKD kitties. If your appointment to get the tests done is not for a little bit, you would have time to do it, then re check the blood to see if the calcium and urea levels have gone down as well as if kitty starts eating regularly again.
The fluids, although most definitely are used for dehydration, act as dialysis for CKD, the increased water absorption flushes the kidneys that can't filter as efficiently as they used to. And even if she doesn't show significant signs of dehydration, it does not mean that toxins aren't slowly building up.
I agree. I'll ask about those fluids...it's just that I guess she's sorta remain stable in terms of her Kidney values for nearly 2 years and never brought up about those fluids nor did the vet? At the same time, especially in the past several days since visit, shes been drinking from her bowl like normal for like a full minute at least if not longer. She's drinking a lot. I guess that's the part I dont know how she could be dehydrated? But I'lll still ask about it.

I just wrote post that I hope it's not the Mirtazapine wearing off that she's slightly starting to eat less again, though she still asks for food. I'm guessing later today if shes back to eating less and less then there's still something wrong in her so I'll have no choice but to do the ultrasound as it seems the last testing step...

But also, why wouldn't the vet bring up the calcium? He did mention the urea nitrogen was slightly higher then normal limits but he still even then said that is not enough to be causing her to feel sick. Unless he is BS me...