Safe to feed canned salmon once week ?

jerseyj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has no carbs, nothing but protein. Ive heard that tuna is a no-no bc of "crystals" forming in urinary tract which in severe cases can be fatal. Is salmon same or better. TY

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As an occasional treat, any canned fish (for people) or canned cat food or cat treat that is seafood based is fine.

I don't know if tuna or any seafood is a direct cause of urinary issues. In some cats, maybe. Most urinary issues are caused by a lack of enough moisture in the diet which causes urine that is concentrated with solid waste products. Not treating a cat with a urinary infection quickly can result in a full blockage which can be fatal as waste products builds up in the kidneys and becomes toxic.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The thought process about fish food causing urinary issues probably is because many fish contain a lot of minerals (magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium, for example) that can attribute to crystal/stone formation in the bladder. But I suspect that can be offset a significant amount by extra moisture in a cat's diet as that helps to keep the bladder flushed, reducing the odds of a collection of sediment that forms those crystals/stones. That is assuming that a cat's entire diet isn't just fish...

Sweetpea.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As an occasional treat, any canned fish (for people) or canned cat food or cat treat that is seafood based is fine.

[/URL]

I don't know if tuna or any seafood is a direct cause of urinary issues. In some cats, maybe. Most urinary issues are caused by a lack of enough moisture in the diet which causes urine that is concentrated with solid waste products. Not treating a cat with a urinary infection quickly can result in a full blockage which can be fatal as waste products builds up in the kidneys and becomes toxic.
Can I ask are you saying Tuna and salmon flavored cat foods should also only be fed occasionally?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See the link I put in my post.

There's also this: Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats | Little Big Cat
This is one of the best summaries of why it's not good to feed fish.

When we first adopted our cats, our vet said a little food with fish, particularly salmon, was okay every now and then. I used to feed a small can of some Weruva food or other that had fish and chicken; the cats loved it. I don't feed any fish now, though, after one was diagnosed with asthma.

I'll also add that our previous cat was a fish addict. I didn't know then that fish isn't good to feed to cats... it's hard to break a cat of the fish habit.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See the link I put in my post.

There's also this: Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats | Little Big Cat
  • Most “wild-caught” salmon are not wild; they were bred and raised in hatcheries. Hatchery fish are released into the ocean at a certain level of maturity, where they mingle and interbreed with wild salmon. When harvested, hatchery-raised and wild fish are both considered “wild-caught.” According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 80% of adult salmon returning to breed in the Columbia Basin, which feeds Puget Sound and the Columbia River, were hatchery-raised.
  • Genetically modified salmon (AquaAdvantage®) were approved by the FDA for sale in the U.S in November, 2015. You will not be able to tell from the label which salmon are GMO. However, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and others have promised not sell GMO salmon in their stores.

I never knew that about wild caught, nevermind GMO standards. That's really kind of crappy because people are being fooled into thinking the fish is not farmed when it is.
I read somewhere that a high-fish diet in cats can mess with thiamine absorption, but I can't quote a source.
Thank you so much for this article, very informative.

Elidaserena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  • Most “wild-caught” salmon are not wild; they were bred and raised in hatcheries. Hatchery fish are released into the ocean at a certain level of maturity, where they mingle and interbreed with wild salmon. When harvested, hatchery-raised and wild fish are both considered “wild-caught.” According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 80% of adult salmon returning to breed in the Columbia Basin, which feeds Puget Sound and the Columbia River, were hatchery-raised.
  • Genetically modified salmon (AquaAdvantage®) were approved by the FDA for sale in the U.S in November, 2015. You will not be able to tell from the label which salmon are GMO. However, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and others have promised not sell GMO salmon in their stores.

I never knew that about wild caught, nevermind GMO standards. That's really kind of crappy because people are being fooled into thinking the fish is not farmed when it is.
I read somewhere that a high-fish diet in cats can mess with thiamine absorption, but I can't quote a source.
Thank you so much for this article, very informative.

Elidaserena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some fish contain thiamise which when fed raw ot stored raw with the the rest of the meal will affect thiamine in the foods. It is recommended to either store raw fish containing thiamise separately until feeding time or cook the fish. You would want to feed these types of fish occasionally. Salmon. Trout, mussels do not contain thiamise there for do not interact with thiamine. You can find a list of each type of fish online.
It is believed that phosphorus cause urinary issues with cats. So feeding fish and fish flavored foods that contain bones contribute to higher amounts of dietary phosphorus. The fish used in commercial pet food is usually very low quality. Spoiling and or the waste from human fish products, entrails,fins,bones. So would contain higher levals of unwanted phosphorus and minerals.
Tuna as a predatory fish had high levels of mercury that you don't want to expose your cats too. They have little bodies with little systems and a mercury amount that we can handle would be too much to expose cats too. Many canned fish items contain too much sodium for cats to eat. It can be soaked in water to help remove salt prior to feeding.